Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 17, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #10,036 of 12,194
I know - don't feed the trolls. I can't resist a little of that, unfortunately.

Closed-minded willfully ignorant strictly by-the-book meter-reader engineer types believe that most of the differences obvious to audiophiles between cables, amplifiers, DACs, use of “tweak” accessories, etc. are hype and illusion. I learned otherwise a long time ago. I'm an audiophile and also an electronics engineer and programmer who respects and uses science within its sphere of applicability. Some people never get beyond worship of scientific measurements, supposedly the scientific method, which assumes that for anything to be real it has to be demonstrable in a lab experiment, and then replicated. So much the worse for these people - they're missing out on a whole world of perception and experience - of musical, intellectual and spiritual enjoyment.

These fanatical objectivists seemingly never learn, don't want to learn, a lot of things in audio. Presumably because of ego, fear and a lot of other psychological mechanisms.

What they simply won't recognize is that the ultimate subtlety and resolving power of human hearing perception is vastly beyond present (and any projected) instrumentation capability and acoustical/neurological theory. All of the present and forseeable practical recording and reproduction technologies produce easily perceptible distortion, both in the amplitude (like harmonic and IM distortion) and the time domain. The hearing mechanism is especially sensitive to the time and frequency smearing types of distortion. The common effect of all these is a clearly perceived blurring, smearing, flattening and veiling of the sonic "picture", along with various tonal imbalances such as overbrightness and bass boominess or looseness.

Of course the ignorant obnoxious trolls will blow off these truths, but they need to be said. Just coming up - my use of the ignore feature of this forum.
Try modi 3 or khadas and you will be happy for the rest of your life :wink: @quadels @scottcw

May 17, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #10,037 of 12,194
Ok, about once a year we go through this. I’ll have to again post my favorites from the asr playlist:

Baroque Sinewave Masterpieces

The Sinewave Sessions at the Cotton Club

Sinehound On My Trail - Darkness in the Delta

May 17, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #10,039 of 12,194
To me the degree of creativity expressed by all who respond to the obvious attempts at trolling, is well worth having to put up with the all to apparent transparency in intent.

I mean really the only folks who will dip a toe into the asr mindset are n00bs or those who are curious enough about what all the hub-bub is about.
These soundscience aficionado's will eventually grow up and out of their self imposed importance as perveyors and sole givers of truth beauty and the right and proper way of what is real,
or not.
The rest of us are in the, 'been there, done that, got the T-shirt, the coffee mug, the bumper sticker, and have the 'I'm in the cool kid's club membership card', etc.

Some of these young'ns just need more time to figure all of this out, but until then they have convinced themselves (in their mutually self supporting and agrandizing way) that they know they have it all figured out.
Which can make for jocularity, if perceived that way and if we proceed in that vein.

And I don't mean to laugh AT them, but knowing the frame of mind as I (we) do, the chagrin that will follow in due course, is a reminder of the all to familiar chain reaction, which brings a smile to my nostalgic face.
:ksc75smile:
JJ

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #10,040 of 12,194
To me the degree of creativity expressed by all who respond to the obvious attempts at trolling, is well worth having to put up with the all to apparent transparency in intent.

I mean really the only folks who will dip a toe into the asr mindset are n00bs or those who are curious enough about what all the hub-bub is about.
These soundscience aficionado's will eventually grow up and out of their self imposed importance as perveyors and sole givers of truth beauty and the right and proper way of what is real,
or not.
The rest of us are in the, 'been there, done that, got the T-shirt, the coffee mug, the bumper sticker, and have the 'I'm in the cool kid's club membership card', etc.

Some of these young'ns just need more time to figure all of this out, but until then they have convinced themselves (in their mutually self supporting and agrandizing way) that they know they have it all figured out.
Which can make for jocularity, if perceived that way and if we proceed in that vein.

And I don't mean to laugh AT them, but knowing the frame of mind as I (we) do, the chagrin that will follow in due course makes for an all to familiar chain reaction.

JJ
I strongly recommend you to read this detailed explanation by amirm about dac's measurements :xf_wink: @johnjen

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...derstanding-digital-audio-measurements.10523/

May 17, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #10,041 of 12,194
What makes you think I haven't?

You're assumptions reveal much about you.

JJ

May 17, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #10,043 of 12,194
Try modi 3 or khadas and you will be happy for the rest of your life :wink: @quadels @scottcw

For someone whose measurements have apparently made "happy for the rest of your life," you seem to be having one pretty crappy and frustrating day attempting to attract the sympathetic attention of even one listener or reader here... I mean, if your $99 tours de force of DAC measurements were indeed such holy grails of musical nirvana, don't you think they'd be selling themselves like hot cakes, and flying off the shelves in the audio enthusiast community, faster than TPs in this Covid-19 quarantine season?

I wonder why you think enthusiasts and hobbyists need to be bludgeoned on the head with measuring meters in order to be taught what should sound good to them, or what equipment they ought to spend their cash on. Don't you think they already know what sounds good, or have their own way of figuring that out for themselves?

May 17, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #10,045 of 12,194
For someone whose measurements have apparently made "happy for the rest of your life," you seem to be having one pretty crappy and frustrating day attempting to attract the sympathetic attention of even one listener or reader here... I mean, if your $99 tours de force of DAC measurements were indeed such holy grails of musical nirvana, don't you think they'd be selling themselves like hot cakes, and flying off the shelves in the audio enthusiast community, faster than TPs in this Covid-19 quarantine season?

I wonder why you think enthusiasts and hobbyists need to be bludgeoned on the head with measuring meters in order to be taught what should sound good to them, or what equipment they ought to spend their cash on. Don't you think they already know what sounds good, or have their own way of figuring that out for themselves?

Because measurements matter after all, I can lend you my khadas for your testing :xf_wink: :wink: @sahmen provide me your address and I'll send you mine, just pay for shipping cost

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #10,047 of 12,194
It's almost like Amirm has outsourced his trolling to a sweatshop in some third world country.

May 21, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #10,048 of 12,194
So, purely loving the yggy a2 with unison(especially out of my Auteur) and just wondering if an upgrade to the interconnects even slightly would benefit the yggy? I was thinking about getting these https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a18.html anybody try those yet?
or any better recommendations in the 100 dollar range?
And how about power cables or conditioners like the audioquest niagara 1200?

May 22, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #10,049 of 12,194
So, purely loving the yggy a2 with unison(especially out of my Auteur) and just wondering if an upgrade to the interconnects even slightly would benefit the yggy? I was thinking about getting these https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a18.html anybody try those yet?
or any better recommendations in the 100 dollar range?
And how about power cables or conditioners like the audioquest niagara 1200?
When my audio gear was on a much more cramped space and I owned single-ended amps, I had to do some careful power and signal cable choice and routing, so I ended up with Shunyata Venom power cables (definitely made a difference then). These days everything he nicely spread out on a custom rack and all signal wiring is balanced, so I suspect the power cables are overkill. As for XLR cables, Canare L-4E6S Balanced Audio Cable from Blue Jeans work well and are not expensive. I use Furman Elite 15i conditioners to protect my gear, but I don't think they make much difference to sound.

May 22, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #10,050 of 12,194
When my audio gear was on a much more cramped space and I owned single-ended amps, I had to do some careful power and signal cable choice and routing, so I ended up with Shunyata Venom power cables (definitely made a difference then). These days everything he nicely spread out on a custom rack and all signal wiring is balanced, so I suspect the power cables are overkill. As for XLR cables, Canare L-4E6S Balanced Audio Cable from Blue Jeans work well and are not expensive. I use Furman Elite 15i conditioners to protect my gear, but I don't think they make much difference to sound.
I think that the law of diminishing returns applies double for cables. The key is to get away from bad and/or snake oil cables. I am very happy with Blue Jeans

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back