Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #9,316 of 12,194
Did I hear from some interview from Jason/Mike that there may be yet another USB interface coming down the line for the Yggy?

I've got a Yggy that is at USB Gen 3, and doesn't have the latest analog upgrade. When I send it back for the analog upgrade, I thought that I might as well get USB as well. But if there's something else coming down the road...

I use the Yggy almost exclusively with a CD transport and coax, so I'm not itching for USB.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #9,317 of 12,194
Did I hear from some interview from Jason/Mike that there may be yet another USB interface coming down the line for the Yggy?

I've got a Yggy that is at USB Gen 3, and doesn't have the latest analog upgrade. When I send it back for the analog upgrade, I thought that I might as well get USB as well. But if there's something else coming down the road...

I use the Yggy almost exclusively with a CD transport and coax, so I'm not itching for USB.
I think you're referring to this video interview, where around the 23 minute mark they bring up their "10 year plan" and go on to include discussion of their revolutionary new USB interface which is completely developed in house. They claim that all previous USB implementations sound terrible (they compare them to getting a prostate exam!) and not as good as SPDIF, but this one is even better than SPDIF. It still has to go through full beta testing, and when it will be incorporated into their current DACs I don't believe was stated.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #9,319 of 12,194
The new Schiit spinner will most likely have this new USB out, so a new card in Yggy to take advantage of this.
I couldn't wait and bought a great used spinner instead and use SPDIF off the spinner and my computers.
The new USB 5 is good however maybe not as good as SPDIF.
But this if new USB is great I'll get the new spinner and then new card for Yggy, however I will not be sending Yggy to California just for a simple drop in card if no firmware is needed.:wink:

Also if they really want to do something more widespread with this new USB make a USB card for PC to output to their DACs, that would be Schiit from end to end. This would sell well and would work with any USB DAC as well. :grin:

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #9,320 of 12,194

If you use the USB input a lot it is very much worth the $150 even if the upgrade is being superseded in the future. I think it made a bigger difference than the Analog B upgrade did. It kind of got me wondering how much more USB can be improved using a really nice reclocker like the Mutec MC3, but Gen 5 almost completely fixed all the issues I was having with harshness and glare so I'm not tempted to experiment anymore.

Of course you said you didn't use your USB input much, so in that case it would be more of a curiosity thing for you. Gen 5 won't sound better than coax. Probably. It depends on the equipment on the other end to some degree too of course. Gen 5 just fixes the massive inferiority problem the Gen 3 input had vs. all the other input options.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #9,321 of 12,194
If you use the USB input a lot it is very much worth the $150 even if the upgrade is being superseded in the future.

Thanks. I'm not using USB at all at the moment - coax in from my Teac CD player acting as transport, and optical in from ChromeAudio. I'm sure that my ChromeAudio is not doing any favors for the Tidal stream I run (cast) to it, and so I've thought about just hooking a Windows laptop up to the Yggy, and using the Windows laptop to stream audio from Tidal.

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #9,322 of 12,194
You could just buy an Eitr if unplugging your CD player when you wanted to use Tidal on Windows is not a hassle. It sounds like sometime late next year all of us are going to have to send our Yggy A2s in for a new USB board if I understand that video right.

Nov 7, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #9,323 of 12,194
In my opinion, the Gen 5 USB with Tidal sounds pretty good. It's not quite on the level of my CXC transport connected to the BNC input but after a few beers who cares. I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but I'm currently using a hundred and eighty dollar Asus chromebook for my steaming source.

Nov 7, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #9,324 of 12,194
In my opinion, the Gen 5 USB with Tidal sounds pretty good. It's not quite on the level of my CXC transport connected to the BNC input but after a few beers who cares. I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but I'm currently using a hundred and eighty dollar Asus chromebook for my steaming source.

What cable do you use to connect the CXC to the yggy? A regular BNC male-to-male hooked up to the SPDIF/coax on the CXC but it doesn't use the locking mechanism on that end?

Nov 7, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #9,326 of 12,194
What cable do you use to connect the CXC to the yggy? A regular BNC male-to-male hooked up to the SPDIF/coax on the CXC but it doesn't use the locking mechanism on that end?
I'm using a digital coax cable with male RCA connectors. On the DAC BNC end I'm using a BNC to female RCA adapter, it was left over from my video days. Some people may say a BNC video adapter's not the best set-up for audio but it works for me. I think it sounds better than the coaxial and optical inputs.

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #9,327 of 12,194
The best interconnects I've heard are Zenwave D4s and I had an extra RCA ended pair laying around. On a whim I installed one between my Eitr and the coax input to my Yggy, not knowing for sure if an interconnect cable could be used in place of a coax cable, in my case, a Wywires coax. To make a long story short, not only did it work, it added dimension to the soundstage as well as weight, resolution and clarity. As an added benefit, it cleared up electrical interference from my Eitr that was causing the Yggy to go into a clicking frenzy every time my electric fireplace kicked on.

If you're using anything less than a stellar quality coax between your Eitr and Yggy, try a good quality interconnect in its place - you may find your coax cable has been a choke point that's keeping the Eitr and Yggy from delivering to their full potential. This is just my experience, but worth checking out.

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #9,328 of 12,194
Looking for recommendations for amp/dac combo (in single unit) that you own and sounds like (closer/similar) to Yggy 2. Please help.

Quoting my own message to share that I settled for Prism Sound Callia. Instead of writing how it compared to Yggy, I would say this.

Can Callia replace Yggy in my system? No, it cannot but I will have no regret if Yggy wasn't invented at all and had to live with Callia :).

Nov 11, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #9,329 of 12,194
The best interconnects I've heard are Zenwave D4s and I had an extra RCA ended pair laying around. /snip

I’m using Dave’s custom Neotech silver/gold alloy that he uses in his ZenWave D4 interconnects almost everywhere throughout my system. Really great stuff. Your post got me now thinking of making a USB cable with it too. Time to order some more and USB A & B male connectors, cotton sleeving, and solder it up to see what happens.

Thanks for the tip on its use for digital!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #9,330 of 12,194
I'm looking for a device that will stream Tidal to my Yggy's (A1 - Gen3 USB) digital inputs. Currently I'm using ChromeAudio via casting w/ Toslink, and I'm thinking that there might be a better option. I'd prefer not to dedicate a computer/laptop to this and get a standalone, dedicated device. What are folks using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back