Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 23, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #8,221 of 12,194
I'm utilizing the Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator --> UpTone Audio USB Regen --> Perfectwave II. I wonder if the Singxer would outperform my chain?
I had the same industrial Intona USB isolator. I sold it after comparing it with the Singxer SU-1.

Like you, I also have the ISO Regen. I am very pleased using the ISO Regen to drive the SU-1. I believe Kitsune HiFi's return policy would give you 30-days to experiment with the Singxer SU-1. Give it a try. If you like it, flip some of your gear on the classifieds to help fund the expense.

May 23, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #8,222 of 12,194
Schiit sent me an email acknowledgement on May 11th that they had received my Yggy for its A2 and Gen 5 USB upgrades. I was hoping to have my Yggy back for Memorial Day weekend. I am paying for next day air. What have the experiences been with how long Schiit takes to do the upgrades?

May 23, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #8,223 of 12,194
A question about preamps to those more knowledgeable...
Would a preamp like Freya make a difference to even my simple connection like pc to Yggy to amp(Ragnarok)? Seems like those who believe in preamps are really convinced. I am a bit concerned about the noise floor going up with the Freya and possibly distorting the detail with the tubes. Serously considering using AES input on the Yggy instead of usb ever since noticing the optical input being better than usb, even with the Gen 5 upgrade. Is AES more comparable to optical?

May 23, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #8,224 of 12,194
Schiit sent me an email acknowledgement on May 11th that they had received my Yggy for its A2 and Gen 5 USB upgrades. I was hoping to have my Yggy back for Memorial Day weekend. I am paying for next day air. What have the experiences been with how long Schiit takes to do the upgrades?

Once they finally received mine they had it for about a week.

May 23, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #8,225 of 12,194
snip
What have the experiences been with how long Schiit takes to do the upgrades?
Thus far they have had mine for a week and a half.
And for me shipping is 3-4 days which means I won't see it by this upcoming long weekend.

JJ

May 23, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #8,226 of 12,194
Interesting idea. Right now I'm utilizing the Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator --> UpTone Audio USB Regen --> Perfectwave II. I wonder if the Singxer would outperform my chain?

Haven’t heard any of those and never heard any external power supplies with the SU-1.

May 23, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #8,227 of 12,194

I was among the first to have the upgrade performed (i.e. among the first sending back an A1), which was basically a day or so after their press release. So my experience may not be indicative of their current work methodology. That said, they spent five business days (not calendar days) with my A1 until I received an email the work was finished and it was being returned. This is on par with what they (support) mentioned when I specifically asked how long it would take, prior to my sending them my A1. Going on memory, it could have been yet another day until I received shipment tracking data.

Also, I already had/have the Gen 5 USB, so in my case this was not part of my particular upgrade. It does stand to reason that upgrading both the analog board and the USB card would or could take longer than upgrading only one of those two items.

My suggestion is to send them an email, inquiring as to the status of your unit.

May 23, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #8,228 of 12,194
Would a preamp like Freya make a difference to even my simple connection like pc to Yggy to amp(Ragnarok)? Seems like those who believe in preamps are really convinced. I am a bit concerned about the noise floor going up with the Freya and possibly distorting the detail with the tubes. Serously considering using AES input on the Yggy instead of usb ever since noticing the optical input being better than usb, even with the Gen 5 upgrade. Is AES more comparable to optical?

Since Ragnarok already contains a preamp, inserting a second one, along with additional cabling and connections abandons the KISS philosophy, and I would say could add noise (even a small amount). No reason for it.

May 24, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #8,231 of 12,194
My 2¢
Some folks like the added coloration that tubes can provide so if that is the goal than adding a Freya would perform that function.
But as gefski said the Rok amp already has a preamp (input selection and a volume control), so adding the tube sound would be the only net positive difference.

As for the differences between usb, optical, and aes inputs, Mike M stated that the aes inputs is his preferred source for the Jggy.
And equally as important to which type of connection usb or optical or aes that you use, the source that feeds those digital audio feeds will make a difference as well.
IOW a 'better feed' will probably make as much if not more of a difference than the data path type used.

In my case I found that optical was inferior to usb which in turn was no match for aes with spdif in between usb and aes.

I hope this helps.

JJ

May 24, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #8,232 of 12,194
Since Ragnarok already contains a preamp, inserting a second one, along with additional cabling and connections abandons the KISS philosophy, and I would say could add noise (even a small amount). No reason for it.

Thank you for that input.

My 2¢
Some folks like the added coloration that tubes can provide so if that is the goal than adding a Freya would perform that function.
But as gefski said the Rok amp already has a preamp (input selection and a volume control), so adding the tube sound would be the only net positive difference.

As for the differences between usb, optical, and aes inputs, Mike M stated that the aes inputs is his preferred source for the Jggy.
And equally as important to which type of connection usb or optical or aes that you use, the source that feeds those digital audio feeds will make a difference as well.
IOW a 'better feed' will probably make as much if not more of a difference than the data path type used.

In my case I found that optical was inferior to usb which in turn was no match for aes with spdif in between usb and aes.

I hope this helps.

JJ

Thank you.
I wonder why optical input to Yggy2 from ak380 sounds much better and less sibilant than usb input from my pc... playing same flac files.
I think experimenting with the aes input is going to be my next project. Thanks again.

May 24, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #8,233 of 12,194
FWIW dept, I really enjoy the performance of my Audiobyte Hydra Z DDC, run on 5VDC that provides an AES input to my Yggy from the USB output of my MAC Mini (runs on 12VDC) that offers a totally black background for either HP or Speaker listening. I paid less than 4 figures for mine...and there is one available here for even way less than I paid...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audiobyte-hydra-z.880196/

At this price, it's a no brainer...

May 24, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #8,234 of 12,194
FWIW dept, I really enjoy the performance of my Audiobyte Hydra Z DDC, run on 5VDC that provides an AES input to my Yggy from the USB output of my MAC Mini (runs on 12VDC) that offers a totally black background for either HP or Speaker listening. I paid less than 4 figures for mine...and there is one available here for even way less than I paid...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audiobyte-hydra-z.880196/

At this price, it's a no brainer...

Any comparisons to Gen 5 USB?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back