Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 22, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #8,206 of 12,195
FYI: snap-opinion about Yggdrasil Rev B upgrade. Better bass, absolutely clear and detailed without being analytical, warmer and much (much) quieter. And that is just on initial power up.

May 22, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #8,208 of 12,195
Thanks. This type of product is not something I've looked into before. The more recommendations/brands I can make myself aware of to start researching the better.
Can confirm. The KTE SU1 is a great product. I would either suggest it or the base model singer Su1 with an aftermarket linear power supply like the LPS-1. Yggy via AES used to be best. Haven’t tried against USB Gen 5, so cannot comment. But the su1 models are a better bang for buck IMO compared to the Mutec and do great job at supplying i2s, AES, reclocked USB etc.

I think if I had a yggy still I would keep the reclocker and still feed it AES.

One thing to remember with reclockers: stick them directly beside your DAC and run the shortest interconnect possible between the Reclocker and DAC.

May 22, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #8,209 of 12,195
Even the basic SU-1 (not the fancy KTE edition) is quite good (I used it with my Yggy V1 before switching to an Auralic Aries Femto to reduce the number of boxes in my setup), and Eitr is yet again cheaper, and pretty close in overall effect. My guess is that Eitr + one of these will be pretty hard to distinguish from SU-1 for AES>Yggy V1.

May 23, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #8,211 of 12,195
@Xcalibur255 Not sure if you tried some of the changes i tried as per my post below.
https://www.head-fi.org/posts/14249711/

I had the exact similar issues at times esp with my system sounding below par on occassions.
Looking at your plights, the USB, room and cable fixes are definitely items to review without spending an arm and leg.
My system since had a consistent sublime performance where i hear the true Yggy qualities

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #8,212 of 12,195
I just added up my hours on the upgraded Yggy. I have been playing music through it continuously for about three weeks. That is a lot of hours. I swapped it into my speaker system which was already using an original Yggy. My original Yggy sounds wonderful and has a bit less detail but is short of "bright". I have a lot of hours of listening time on that system. So I am basically saying that I am comparing apples to apples with no other variables, just new Yggy in place of old Yggy.

snip
A well thought out and integrated system.
snip

Basically I have a very quiet and resolving system and I am comparing a new and an old Yggy very directly. With 24*21= ~500 hours of burn in I am still hoping that the Yggy "cools" a bit more.

This is my experience, in my system, with my room, and my ears. YMMV. Sorry that I cannot give an unconditionally positive review. It is possible that I am just hearing brightness on bright recordings so I will still be doing more listening and reporting back.

Best,
Paul
One thing I have noticed with "very quiet and resolving system(s)" is they can enable you to hear the more subtle changes which can take longer to fully settle in.
For instance a few of the last several tweaks I have made have taken upwards of 2Khrs to fully stabilize.
Yeah I know this is crazy talk by some standards, but that is a way of confirming that a truly resolving and highly focused system has been achieved, because such small differences CAN be heard.

Thankfully not all of the tweaks took that long, but 1Khrs+ seems to be much more the norm now, whereas it was at ≈ 500hrs when the previous changes stabilized.

And the upside of all of this is the level of SQ just keeps improving which sometimes yields me just shaking my head in amazement as a reaction to what I just heard.

JJ

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #8,213 of 12,195
One thing I have noticed with "very quiet and resolving system(s)" is they can enable you to hear the more subtle changes which can take longer to fully settle in.
For instance a few of the last several tweaks I have made have taken upwards of 2Khrs to fully stabilize.
Yeah I know this is crazy talk by some standards, but that is a way of confirming that a truly resolving and highly focused system has been achieved, because such small differences CAN be heard.

Thankfully not all of the tweaks took that long, but 1Khrs+ seems to be much more the norm now, whereas it was at ≈ 500hrs when the previous changes stabilized.

And the upside of all of this is the level of SQ just keeps improving which sometimes yields me just shaking my head in amazement as a reaction to what I just heard.

JJ

My last two listening sessions have changed quite a bit. The edge has worn off as did the slight feeling of hollowness. I am not sure how many hours I have on Yggy2 now but it must be at least 500 due to leaving music playing all day with amp off .

The Yggy now truly surpasses it's former self offering remarkable clarity, depth, layering and dynamics. The upgrade was well worth it...

May 23, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #8,214 of 12,195
Are you thinking of getting the Directstream? If so, could you comment on what you like better about it than the Yggy and why?
I have the Perfectwave II and have been on the fence between upgrading mine to the Directstream vs just getting the Yggy.

I would get a Singxer SU-1, It did a lot for my PWD MKII and I ended up keeping it both for about a year before I got the Yggdrasil.

May 23, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #8,215 of 12,195
Just staying with Yggy in general, i have read some people liking or not liking the detailed presentation of the DAC (with speakers).
I have played with a lot of combos over time and below are some of my findings.

1. Bright or siblance -
A. when source has electrical noise => I removed USB which adds electrical noise esp on high end. I now have a Lynx Card feeding Yggy via AES
B. Speakers and room Setup leads to over the top HF or siblance => Bring your mid and high controls slightly lower to fit your room environment; PLAY with your speaker position (such a massive SQ improvement activity at no cost); Make sure the speaker cables match the system and make sure the FULL signal is transferred to the speakers by choosing cables which can carry a lot of detail.
C. When cables are below par => Get decent connectors between the amp and speakers; recommend to use the XLR out of Yggy with amp attenuation if needed; make sure cables do NOT cross with power cables or have proper isolation properties.

2. Too detailed, analytical lowering overall musicality
A. When speakers cannot render the detailed information the Yggy is providing => Ensure your speakers is transparent and can project all the frequencies accurately (i.e GOOD SPEAKERS capable of seperating the details and instruments would work better with Yggy)
B. Position, position, position => my revelation in getting instrument separation anf resolution to their peak is by spending a lot of time moving the speakers around the listening position. Tiny changes can make huge differences at times - usual tips with speakers not too close to walls, toe in if needed, base on solid foundation, tweeter/mids at ear level, listening position symmetric with both speakers, etc...
C. Equipment synergy => AVOID overpowering Subs just to feel good about low end as this hazes or muddy the detailed information presented by the Yggy (I use my Subs for < 40 or 50 hz frequencies); use good sources (e.g streamers or remote NAS). Often important details for transient, PRAT are lost because the source is not feeding the full/clean data to the Yggy (e.g noisy computer or incomplete PCM signal to the Yggy just creates the false and non musical detail/resolution). Note detailed resolution can be annoying if it is not musical and toe tapping as i have experienced previously. Adding a good source largely helped in my case.

3. Not enough bass or not as tight
A. Subs/speakers settings => Playing around the cross over between the 2 is so important. With such a resolving DAC as Yggy, i feel less is more. I.e get the subs to provide the missing bass from the speakers. In my case, when i had too much bass in my subs, at times it created nulls making the sound hollow (missing low) or muddy. Synchronizing the 2 is so important.
B. Speakers stand => i recently added a coin under my speaker stand and this made the bass very tight and impactful. Ensure the speaker base is firm as well); subs also need to sit on firm pointers to provide the required low reverbs to ensure the mids/high frequencies are coated/bodied adding to the melody.
C. Amp not good enough=> Goes without saying on having the correct amp to pass on Yggy's bass capabilities onto the speakers; Heard SS amp works best for low end (which i have).

4. Dry and clinical
A. Each frequency bands are not treated to address their weaknesses => i had this experience at one time as the mids was overpowering the LF and HF.... addressed it via speaker positioning mainly and toned down the mids of my speakers as my room has no carpets.
B. Bass and High are not helping each other => happened when i focussed on my HF at the expense of losing LF; addressed it by lowring my HF in my speaker (or amp) to ensure my speaker/sub bass accentuates the HF by carrying it rather than playing over it.... lots of trying with treble/bass settings and speaker position.

I hear no sibilance w/ my Yggdrasil and Stealth 8 monitors. I do sometimes hear it with headphones but no often.

May 23, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #8,216 of 12,195
@Xcalibur255 Not sure if you tried some of the changes i tried as per my post below.
https://www.head-fi.org/posts/14249711/

I had the exact similar issues at times esp with my system sounding below par on occassions.
Looking at your plights, the USB, room and cable fixes are definitely items to review without spending an arm and leg.
My system since had a consistent sublime performance where i hear the true Yggy qualities

After hearing what I did the other day it seems pretty likely my issue is switching power supply noise leaking into the USB connection. My game plan is to get in line for the upgrade to Analog B and Gen 5, burn-in and compare at length the updated USB sound to the transport/coax sound, and then re-assess whether a reclocker like the Mutec still feels necessary. I think the long term plans are going to include adding power conditioning regardless. It's not something I should have neglected this long given how much I've invested in everything in general.

I have to save up for this stuff one thing at a time so nothing is getting solved right away.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #8,217 of 12,195
After hearing what I did the other day it seems pretty likely my issue is switching power supply noise leaking into the USB connection. My game plan is to get in line for the upgrade to Analog B and Gen 5, burn-in and compare at length the updated USB sound to the transport/coax sound, and then re-assess whether a reclocker like the Mutec still feels necessary. I think the long term plans are going to include adding power conditioning regardless. It's not something I should have neglected this long given how much I've invested in everything in general.

I have to save up for this stuff one thing at a time so nothing is getting solved right away.

If you can use a screw driver you can save a lot of money in shipping by just ordering the new USB board itself. There is a HowTo with photos somewhere on the web. It took me about 20 minutes. Not sure where you live but shipping my Yggy in for the analog boards update cost $70 + $33(return). Plus there is a $50 installation charge.

May 23, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #8,218 of 12,195
I would get a Singxer SU-1, It did a lot for my PWD MKII and I ended up keeping it both for about a year before I got the Yggdrasil.

Interesting idea. Right now I'm utilizing the Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator --> UpTone Audio USB Regen --> Perfectwave II. I wonder if the Singxer would outperform my chain?

May 23, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #8,219 of 12,195
If you can use a screw driver you can save a lot of money in shipping by just ordering the new USB board itself. There is a HowTo with photos somewhere on the web. It took me about 20 minutes. Not sure where you live but shipping my Yggy in for the analog boards update cost $70 + $33(return). Plus there is a $50 installation charge.

I want the Analog B upgrade too, which isn't user installable.

May 23, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #8,220 of 12,195
My Yggy v2 (w/ Pyst cables) arrived.
Do to a USB cable length miscalculation (I purchased USB 3.0 cables not realizing the wrong B sockets) I have a scrambled together set of cables.]
Using some Emotiva long XLR cables from Yggy -> Jotunheim (for headphones) -> FiiO amp (until Ragnorak arrives in ~2 weeks?).
My MS Surface book source hasn't set off the VCO indicator, so that is good.

I was listening at low volume via non-expensive speakers at work.
Very limited time on my headphones and I am not very eloquent at audio discriptions.

I haven't A/B'd the various DACs I have here:
- MS Surface Book analog out (internal DAC)
- Jotunheim MB
- LH Labs GOV2 Infinity
- Yggy v2

However, testing a few different JRiver selections confirmed the Yggy input bitrate indicators worked.
Listened to some Tidal streaming and was struck by edges to notes. Not sure if I'd say harsh, but likely just hearing things that were dulled before.
A mental burn in adjustment.
I put on a stream from someone I know personally and what I am now struck with and trying to process is that I think I am hearing so much more than before in and between notes that it takes a while to adjust to the new normal of what an amazing DAC can do.
I did and do really like the GOV2i and Jot MB, but this does seem different.

Thinking about picking up a B stock Vali 2 to use multiple outs from the Yggy v2 for Vali 2 (RCA) and Ragnorak (XLR) to hear the differences.
Not because I need it, but just for fun.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back