Schiit Yggdrasil GS Problem
Jul 22, 2021 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Argybargy

100+ Head-Fier
Here is what Schiit's website says in the description for the Yggdrasil GS:

1. Two Analog 1 cards in an otherwise complete new-production Yggdrasil.

I ordered the regular unit, NOT a B-stock and here is what I received:

Scratch on the front panel where it curves to the top panel

IMG_0288.JPG

Nicks on the edge

IMG_0290.JPG

Weird stain

IMG_0286 2.JPG

Small blemishes

IMG_0289.JPG

I emailed Schiit asking for an explanation.

9 days later I received a reply:

"I am sorry about ; the Yggdrasil is a semi -used addition. Please see the product page https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil-gs."

Wow....

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 11
Wow, that sucks. That is not what I expected in a GS edition, B stock perhaps...

But after looking at the product page I expected a new unit, with refurb Analog 1 cards. It seems like a good deal for the price but obviously not what you recieved.

If you wanted a used one you certainly could have bought from a classified here and had pictures of exactly what you were getting.

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 11
But the thing is, the Yggy GS product page says exactly this:

So whoever is answering customer service emails is clueless. Not only that but they were so lazy they didn't even fill in the stock reply: ""I am sorry about ; the Yggdrasil is a semi -used addition...." (SIC).

Not to mention that it took 9 days for a response. Hey Schiit, it woulda been faster if you you had just mailed me a letter through USPS.

Anyone ordering a Yggdrasil GS should check the chassis carefully upon receipt.

Jul 26, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm sorry this happened OP, tbh my Yiggy GS arrived with a few love marks too. I think it's the subtitle they are quoting:
They told me something similar to this.

That's why when I was buying my second and third DAC I went for a used Gumby and Gustard X16 rather than a second Yiggy GS.

Jul 26, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 11
It does sound good, but they should remove the following from the description of the Yggy GS:

AND explicitly state that the chassis is also used (and whatever else they reused from the innards).

Jul 26, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 11
I've purchased 7 pieces of Schiit over the years, and every single one of them has come with cosmetic blemishes. This has always ticked me off because they describe their B stock has having minor cosmetic defects that may not even be noticeable. Really? The most expensive Schiit I bought was a Gungnir Multibit, and it looked pretty much like your Yggdrasil. I probably should have complained, but it seemed like it was par for the course then, and it still seems so now.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 11
If I had ordered a B-Stock unit I wouldn't have been surprised by the blemishes and big scratch, but this was a regular A-Stock order and everything should have been brand new except for the analog boards which include the used DAC chips.

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 11
UPDATE:

I requested that Schiit either:

Email me a return shipping label and offer a full refund including original shipping and not deduct a restocking fee

OR

Email a return shipping label and ship a replacement Yggy GS via 2nd Day delivery at their cost.

Schiit offered a full refund and emailed a shipping label.

It's interesting that my first email to customer service took 9 days for a response, but after I started this thread they emailed me back within hours... coincidence?

I would like to add that I have no axe to grind with Schiit. I like their products. I've previously purchased a Modi, a Bifrost MB, Jotunheim, and Gungnir MB.

Aug 5, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #9 of 11
UPDATE

Schiit issued a full refund including the original shipping charge and also did not deduct a restocking fee.

I've mentioned before that I do like the sound of the Yggy GS. I would have preferred that they send me a new exchange unit, but this is fine.

Now the question is whether I should order another one.

Since this was just a single data point, I'm willing to believe that this issue was an honest mistake.

If I order another one, I will update this thread on the condition of the unit that I receive.

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 11
UPDATE

I've ordered another Yggdrasil GS, this time a black one.

Hopefully there will be no problems with this order.

I will let everyone know what I receive.

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 11
UPDATE:

I received my order. There are no scratches or blemishes. The unit appears to be new.

And of course it sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back