Schiit we'd like to see
Apr 13, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #346 of 429
I still would like something i can put between my DAC and my AMP, a Parametric Equalizer. Something that i can plug in Via USB and it just stores a config file like EqualizerAPO uses and applies the signal defined in the config file. I currently use EqualizerAPO so it is not a big deal if schiit does not do something like this. i just like their aesthetics.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #347 of 429
Like the DACcord? Yeah, I get it. The thing is most manufacturers prefer putting the preamp on the amps for the simple reason that it would have a potentiometer anyway; personally, unless it works as a passive preamp (not sure if they do), I'd also prefer a preamp on the DAC - that way I won't have to switch on the HPamp and just toggle an output switch on the DAC if I'm using the speakers.

Still, from a business standpoint though, I won't hold my breath - not only for the reason already mentioned, but they've already put in the preamp feature on every amp including the Magni2U. And Schiit has to be efficient at this especially when they aren't using cheap labor and relying on volume sales as much as when one does so.

This shouldn't affect labor at all since its a firmware change. Its not like the DACCord because its a digital volume control, not analog. The important feature for me isnt volume control per se but the remote aspect. I dont expect them to ever add a remote feature to their headphone amps because it would significantly increase the parts count and wouldnt make sense because you are never that far from a headphone amp anyway. The expeception being the Ragnarok since it amplifies speakers and uses microprocessor controlled relays for the volume which is basically digital control. I would be very surprised if the Ragnarok doesnt have added remote control in the future since it seems almost trivial to add.

Its true that amps tend to have volume control but thats only true for stereo amps. Monoblocs and powered monitors dont. If we are thinking that their DACs are forever tied to their headphone amps then i agree that adding such a feature doesnt make sense. But if we think about the DAC as part of stereo system and you'll likely want remote control. What would make the most sense would be to add it to the SYS but it would add a ton of parts and make it cost north of $200. DACs wouldnt need extra parts.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #348 of 429
This shouldn't affect labor at all since its a firmware change. Its not like the DACCord because its a digital volume control, not analog. The important feature for me isnt volume control per se but the remote aspect. I dont expect them to ever add a remote feature to their headphone amps because it would significantly increase the parts count and wouldnt make sense because you are never that far from a headphone amp anyway. The expeception being the Ragnarok since it amplifies speakers and uses microprocessor controlled relays for the volume which is basically digital control. I would be very surprised if the Ragnarok doesnt have added remote control in the future since it seems almost trivial to add.

Well in that case if it's fully digital then it shouldn't be too complex to integrate hardware-wise, but of course there could be something else they might be aware of (like the noise issue with putting their amp components in the same box as the DAC). Anyways, I'd say it's a good feature to have, but I'm still more biased for a volume knob; at least unless it's for conventional speakers (ie not near field), then out of laziness I'm open to remote buttons.

Its true that amps tend to have volume control but thats only true for stereo amps. Monoblocs and powered monitors dont. If we are thinking that their DACs are forever tied to their headphone amps then i agree that adding such a feature doesnt make sense. But if we think about the DAC as part of stereo system and you'll likely want remote control. What would make the most sense would be to add it to the SYS but it would add a ton of parts and make it cost north of $200. DACs wouldnt need extra parts.

I assumed it would have been obvious that I was referring to headphone amps and integrated amps and not powered amps or built-in amps on NF monitors, considering we're talking primarily about Schiit's (and other brands' similar) product lines, much less about the production simplicity of such (headphone and integrated) amps having a volume control already.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #350 of 429
Something I thought would be pretty funny would be Schiit headphones. I'm not sure how much technical experience the dudes have with making em, but it'd be a cool idea. 
It would be cool to have headphones with a Schiity approach, but they don't have the experience. I think Jason has some experience on the speaker side, but otherwise he and Mike are just electronics engineers.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #351 of 429
It would be cool to have headphones with a Schiity approach, but they don't have the experience. I think Jason has some experience on the speaker side, but otherwise he and Mike are just electronics engineers.

Ooh, speakers would be cool. Of course, they have to make some speaker amps first, which is what I'm hoping for someday. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #355 of 429
If these are the pioneers and geniuses they used to be then here's a REALLY TALL order. 

How about a digital music system where no computer is involved?  All in one with pre-out's to an external amp. 

No USB, no SPIDF, no optical, no transports... no nothin.  A hardware music system that has inputs for drives full of music files. 

In the price range of several hundred dollars up to thousands.  Controllable through bluetooth devices. 

I'm an owner of a Modi so I'm not a hater.   I just want this product.  Please make it for us. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #356 of 429
  If these are the pioneers and geniuses they used to be then here's a REALLY TALL order. 

How about a digital music system where no computer is involved?  All in one with pre-out's to an external amp. 

No USB, no SPIDF, no optical, no transports... no nothin.  A hardware music system that has inputs for drives full of music files. 

In the price range of several hundred dollars up to thousands.  Controllable through bluetooth devices. 

I'm an owner of a Modi so I'm not a hater.   I just want this product.  Please make it for us. 

At least give it an ethernet port so we can connect our NAS arrays!

Edit: It'd also have the nice side-effect of being able to control it from other devices on the network.

May 15, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #358 of 429
As I'm currently looking for amps I've noticed....You go Magni or Asgard for your first...I suppose people have went Magni to Asgard but with the introduction of the M2U there seems to be less reason for that. Especially if your looking to power some high impedance stuff..their difference in power is there but its not huge.

The next logical step in power is Lyr but then that brings tubes into the equation and not everyone wants that. So what ID like to see and it seems it been asked a few times already is a full SS somewhere between Asgard and Lyr. I wouldn't necessarily need 6w into 32 ohms, but I definitely want more than 190mw into 600. So yeah basically Lyr power but in an SS only amp....maybe something that pushes more power to high impedance stuff but still has enough to power the 32 and 60 ohm phones. It would be nice if it was priced right around the Valhalla too.

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #360 of 429
Any chance of seeing a Thunderbolt DAC upgrade?

Looking for a live performance device with absolutely no discernable (sub-ms) latency and balanced outs.

I'm looking at you, Gungnir.

+1 well said. I plan to get the Gungnir, once the new boards are available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back