Schiit Vallhala and DT880 600 ohm
Apr 25, 2011 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PurpleCow

Head-Fier
I'm really burnt out on trying to find the right amp for my setup, I've been reading reviews all day and I'm tired...sigh my budget is 300 or under but I can stretch it a lil, I have a xonar essence STX as well and I'll prob upgrade that later, but here's a list of amps I have so far:

Little Dot MKIII

Woo Audio 3

TubeMagic A1

M-Stage

Schiit Vallhala

I would like to know everyone's take on this, which they think I should choose and why...

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 13
You probably have read SkyLab's review on the Vallhala and it drive's the T1 which are 600ohms as well and You can alway's try tube rolling later on to enhance the sound for Yourself. It does look like You are leaning toward's this amp and it's within Your budget if that's what You want then go for it, if Your not sure and need more clarification try contacting SkyLab or Project86 for more insight.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
You probably have read SkyLab's review on the Vallhala and it drive's the T1 which are 600ohms as well and You can alway's try tube rolling later on to enhance the sound for Yourself. It does look like You are leaning toward's this amp and it's within Your budget if that's what You want then go for it, if Your not sure and need more clarification try contacting SkyLab or Project86 for more insight.

I've read that there's no tube rolling with the Valhalla due to it's unique topology. If you want to get into that (tube rolling) you should pick up the Lyr if you really want a Schiit amp. That will easily drive your cans, although it was designed specifically to handle orthos like the HE-6 or LCD-2. Mind you I'm in the same boat as I'm currently searching for an amp to pair with my HD650, so I'm just regurgitating stuff I've read. The Schiit amps are at the top of my list though.

beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 13
im kinda leaning towards the Lyr now...but man lol so many choices, valhalla or the lyr? lyr is more expensive and will be more expensive down the line...but I haven't seen many reviews or comments on Lyr + DT880s

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 13
Hi I'm the same boat as the OP.... Also, to add one to the mix, what do you guys think of the Bellari HA540? Has anybody tried it? I would be interested to know about its synergy with the 600ohm Beyerdynamics and how it measures up with the Darkvoice 336se and LD MK III.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 13
Mind you I'm in the same boat as I'm currently searching for an amp to pair with my HD650, so I'm just regurgitating stuff I've read. The Schiit amps are at the top of my list though.

I asked Jason in an email what amp he likes best with the HD650 and he said that he preferred the Lyr closely followed by the Valhalla (a little more tubey).

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
I've read that there's no tube rolling with the Valhalla due to it's unique topology. If you want to get into that (tube rolling) you should pick up the Lyr if you really want a Schiit amp. That will easily drive your cans, although it was designed specifically to handle orthos like the HE-6 or LCD-2. Mind you I'm in the same boat as I'm currently searching for an amp to pair with my HD650, so I'm just regurgitating stuff I've read. The Schiit amps are at the top of my list though.

beerchug.gif

Yeah I have to say OOPS! on that one, My bad!

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
im kinda leaning towards the Lyr now...but man lol so many choices, valhalla or the lyr? lyr is more expensive and will be more expensive down the line...but I haven't seen many reviews or comments on Lyr + DT880s

There has'nt been a review as of yet, and I made an oops on the valhalla. It's Your choice if You go for the extra money or not, if You feel You can wait then save up some more money if You can and go for the Lyr.

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #12 of 13
Hi there,

I'm looking for an AMP for My DT880-600, and I have the STX, and I can't decide between the La figaro 336C - Valhalla - Lyr AMPs. Could You please write Your Impressions with the Lyr without the DAC? It would be a great help!

Thx!

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
I've read that there's no tube rolling with the Valhalla due to it's unique topology.

Tube rolling is available with the recent Schiit Valhalla models. See the → Schiit Valhalla tube rolling thread for more details.

To the original poster: I use an “old” Valhalla with Beyerdynamic DT990 and T1 headphones (both are 600 Ω models) and like this combination a lot.

Werner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back