Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by mr.tom, Jul 24, 2012.

1. latexchicken
    I do want to thank you guys for giving me some suggestions. The Amperex 7308s (Telefunken, etc) I am sure sound wonderful but at least for this amp IMO, seem to be at a price range better served for a higher end unit. I was intrigued by some of the comments for the Western Electric 396a (along with other 5670/2c51 tubes) and using an adapter. I did order the adapters along with some Russian 6N3P DRs as well as some GE 5670s (both really cheap) to try. I'm sure I will roll through some others as well until I find what works best for my phones and ears. More than likely, I will get some Western Electric 396a's too. i will post my impressions when all has been received and a little break-in.

yangian likes this.
  2. purehifi192
    I don't think the 6sn7 tubes will work in the Valahlla and can't imagine an adapter exists that fits the physical limitations of the Valhalla and has the necessary properties.

3. Dvdlucena
    Some people did the job. I’m just asking if it worth to do it.

4. purehifi192
    Didn't realize. Now you got me wondering...

5. KoshNaranek
    The 6cg7 is apparently a 6sn7 in nine pin format. I tried NOS RCA and EH new. The RCA was better but neither were to my taste. Too laid back

6. Dvdlucena
    Thank you. How about ecc99. Are those equal to the 6n6p in the back tubes?

7. limelake
    The 5670's with adapter is very worth it...a no brainer in my opinion ! as for 6SN7's I can't comment. I know nothing about using them in the Valhalla. 20 $ Canadian all in is what i spent for tubes and 5670 adapter. adapter can be used with 396's too i think.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  8. yangian
    Yes. 5670/396/6n3 family all use the same adapter.

9. notfitforpublic
    Where from might I ask? Did you find a Canadian source?

10. limelake
    I bought the adapters off ebay (they came from china). The tubes i bought off "The Tube Store" (Canadian). I also bought another 6 tubes from The Tube Depot in USA. All online.

11. limelake
    Are you in Canada ?

12. KoshNaranek
    I don't think so. Spec sheet on ecc99 says 12 volt heater rather than 6 volt.

13. notfitforpublic
    Thanks for the heads up. Prices people are throwing around seem too cheap not to give them a try and pit them against my current line up.
    Yup, Calgary.

14. Marlowe
    The listing for the adapter I got this week from a Chinese vendor on Ebay states it works for 5670, 6N3, and 2C51 tubes. (The label on the adapter itself says 6N3 to ECC88.) I'm using them with Tung-Sol 2C51s, which I am happy with thus far. BTW, Ebay currently has a listing for US military NOS GE 5670Ws at $4 a shot. Is this ridiculously cheap tube equal to the others in this family?

15. yangian
    I just took a look on Ebay and found the price of 5670 went up a lot! :triportsad: