Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #391 of 404
Do any of you have experience running the T70 on a Valhalla? I have both coming my way very soon, I've already made the purchase... I'm optimistic, and not worried one bit that I won't like it, but I'd nonetheless love to hear other peoples' opinions on this pairing.

The T70 might even be called infamous for a bad bass response, but when you look at the graphs it all starts to make sense... it shows a very good, solid bass response in the frequency response chart, but despite being rated at 250 Ohms, the impedance to frequency chart shows a massive, massive hump in the lows, bringing it well above 200, well above even 600, up into something like 750 Ohms of impedance in the bass segments. Considering the Tesla drivers are known for and sold as being especially efficient, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the hate comes from people who are using the T70 on a weaker, cheap amp-dac or smartphone, etc.

Due to the way the Teslas work, the frequencies that aren't humped over in the lows would come through loud and clear, but the massive bass impedance would mean no bass. They aren't intended to produce head pounding bass as is, and I've heard that even for people who find the bass "weak" it's still deep-reaching and detailed. I really, really liked everything else I saw and read about the T70 (I'd go T5 but I'm not that loaded), and I wanted everyone to just be introducing user error in some way to cause that bass complaint... and I believe I may have figured it out, now that I've seen the impedance curve. The T70 may be labelled as a 250 Ohm set, but it's secretly just a 600+ Ohm set that is unusually, highly efficient in the mids and highs.

My hope is that, once burned in (which is of course a big help to any good headphone's bass), paired with the impedance oomph of the Valhalla, I'll be getting exactly what I want out of it. It doesn't need to shatter my skull - I like my bass tight and detailed, but I do like some power and feeling behind it, since I listen to a lot of EDM, especially drum 'n' bass and the most polarizingly dirty kinds of dubstep... and it's not spoken of often enough, but jazz music with a well recorded double bass are absolutely amazing when the bass has some real power alongside the detail. I am asking a lot of my 'phones, especially having to go with a closed can (office use - or I'd be on 650s) since I not only listen to EDM, metal, and other noisy loud sound-messes, but to jazz, bluegrass, classical, solo piano and a range of other "quiet" types of recordings, where it's possible with the right gear to hear the artists breathing, to hear their hand come to rest on their guitar, to hear the texture of the metal strings on their bass, because it's crisp, clear and acoustic. Most of the time, it seems that one has to choose what the set is good at - either fun, slammin' music, or "oh my god the detail" traditional stuff. 

Here's hoping I'm right about the way the Valhalla handles high impedances, and the difference that will make between my experience with the T70, and that of people using it on little solid state amps and the like... because holy Schiit, it is a beautiful work of art and I want it on my desk with me every day delivering my listening pleasure, sound quality aside. So beautiful.

This image says it all, re: my theory.

Wow, thanks. I have both valhalla and t70 on the way. Thanks to you I just confirmed its going to be awesome Shiit! :)

I'm thinking about using my audio gd fun as a preamp. What do you think?

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #392 of 404
Hey guys,

I've had a Schiit Valhalla for about a week now and I can't get a clear connection for some reason.
I tried separating them from my Astro Mixamp and that did nothing.
The tubes seem to be in correctly.
Do you guys have any suggestions that I should try to get rid of this problem.
One thing I've noticed is that it gets a loud buzzing noise when I play certain games like Elder Scrolls Online.

Thanks

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #393 of 404
Has anyone compare the Schitt Valhalla 2 to the Little Dot 3? Any opinions, comparisons, guesses. I'll take all info anyone feels to give me. No arguments and not allot of followup questions. Just wondering if the extra $100 for the Valhalla is worth it.

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #394 of 404
Just received my Valhalla (1) and Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm headphone.  I'm hearing what sounds like a slight gritty, staticy noise from one side. I tried changing the tubes and still have the problem. How do I know if the problem is from the Headphone or the amp?

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #396 of 404
Source is an OPPO 93 bluray player.  I've played SACDs and FLAC files.  After several emails with Schiit audio, which have been very responsive, I'm not confident where the problem is.  The noise is very faint but is noticeable when the low miss and lows are playing.

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #397 of 404
  Source is an OPPO 93 bluray player.  I've played SACDs and FLAC files.  After several emails with Schiit audio, which have been very responsive, I'm not confident where the problem is.  The noise is very faint but is noticeable when the low miss and lows are playing.

Have you tried a different wall outlets? Moving away from router/cellphones? A different source? Different RCA cables?

Nov 22, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #398 of 404
No, I have it plugged into my MosterPower 5000 ($1000 power center @ the time) and only one source. But playing the source through my Macintosh amp driving my Martin logan Electrostat. speakers, it plays beautifully.

I did try different cables, My tara Labs and MITs, with no luck. with the headphones.

So I'm super stumped. :frowning2:

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #400 of 404
  Someone suggested to plug it into a computer. I didn't think of that.  Plugged it into my iMac. The distortion is coming from the headphone itself.
Back it goes to the store.

Might be a hair stuck on the driver! Happened to me, same type of noise, noticeable with low frequency response, easy to fix.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #401 of 404
  Might be a hair stuck on the driver! Happened to me, same type of noise, noticeable with low frequency response, easy to fix.

Hmm I've read that before. But I ordered it brand new. So if true it's a used item which I would want to return anyway.
Just curious is it easy to open without making it obvious i opened it?

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #402 of 404

Hmm I've read that before. But I ordered it brand new. So if true it's a used item which I would want to return anyway.
Just curious is it easy to open without making it obvious i opened it?

Sure! Pull the pad out, remove the foam (clean it btw) and look on the driver if anything is stuck on it. Then play some bass-tones with the driver exposed to see if you can still hear your noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back