Schiit Valhalla 2 impressions
Apr 3, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #31 of 263
Are sure with the output tubes?
I thought these were standard 6N6P tubes?
Or do you mean they can only be changed with other 6N6P tubes and not with other types of tubes. Sorry I am new to the tube business.
But changing with other 6N6P tubes can still make a difference/improvement?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #32 of 263
Are sure with the output tubes?
I thought these were standard 6N6P tubes?
Or do you mean they can only be changed with other 6N6P tubes and not with other types of tubes. Sorry I am new to the tube business.
But changing with other 6N6P tubes can still make a difference/improvement?
Yes, 6N6P tubes. I meant they aren't equivalent to any other tube model. Also, as far as I know there's only one 6N6P tube out there, it's not a tube with variants, although I could be mistaken.

Apr 16, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #36 of 263
That was a bit of a leap. A few days ago it was shipping in a few days, et pouf, now June 17th.
I know, I checked a few days ago but these days with Schiit you snooze you lose. I might go the Lyr 3 route. I used to have a Bellari HA540 MK2 that uses a 12ax7. I gave it to my son but I really liked it so I might go that route. Made in Salt Lake City and a solid amp. I have a ton of various vintage 12ax7 tubes from tube receivers and amps I've owned over the years.
In fact, I just talked myself into another Bellari!

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #37 of 263
Can't speak to the WA, but I can tell you that Valhalla 2 is relatively linear - not super thick & tubey, just a bit warmer & softer around the edges than solid state, and quite holographic with the right tubes. V2's special trick is its super low impedance [on low gain], a rarity for OTL amps. This means it works with a wider variety of headphones than most OTL tube amps. Note that you can only roll the input tubes, the output tubes are not equivalent to any other tubes.
Does it still sound more like a ss amp? How does it compare to darkvoice?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #38 of 263
Does it still sound more like a ss amp? How does it compare to darkvoice?
I haven't heard the darkvoice, but my understanding is that the darkvoice is on the tubier end of tube amps while Valhalla is on the linear end. Valhalla is generally considered to be a "less tubey" tube amp. I would say it gives you the texture & three-dimensionality of tubes with very little variation from the frequency response of ss. Just a tiny bit off the top and the bottom - almost unnoticeable if you're not paying attention - and vocals nicely front & center. No excess warmth or thickness to my ears. I suppose it depends on your choice of tubes, though.

Apr 29, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #39 of 263
I haven't heard the darkvoice, but my understanding is that the darkvoice is on the tubier end of tube amps while Valhalla is on the linear end. Valhalla is generally considered to be a "less tubey" tube amp. I would say it gives you the texture & three-dimensionality of tubes with very little variation from the frequency response of ss. Just a tiny bit off the top and the bottom - almost unnoticeable if you're not paying attention - and vocals nicely front & center. No excess warmth or thickness to my ears. I suppose it depends on your choice of tubes, though.
Thanks a lot for your response. I am making a decision between darkvoice 336 and valhalla to complement Jot2. :)

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #40 of 263
Thanks a lot for your response. I am making a decision between darkvoice 336 and valhalla to complement Jot2. :)
I was in a similar situation. I have a Magni3+/Modi 3/Loki stack for my Sundaras. I chose Darkvoice over Valhalla 2 because I wanted the most difference with 6xx cans. We’ll see how it works out (DV just arrived).

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #41 of 263
Since listening to the Valhalla 2 for a few months and comparing it to the Woo Audio WA2 here are some of my impression:

Pros
  • Has a switch for high or low gain so you can use many kinds of headphones
  • Compact size and nice design make it easy to keep on your desk
  • Has more of a natural sound compared to a solid state amp like the Jotunheim 2
  • Very forward sounding; rock music sounds nice on this amp
  • Many affordable options for driver tubes
  • Zero tube noise
Cons
  • Choice of tube doesn't have as much of an effect on the sound (that could be a positive too though)
  • Very forward; if you prefer a laid back sound that's less fatiguing (esp. for classical music) this might not be the amp for you
  • Presents an image and sound stage more similar to solid state amps
  • Takes 30-60min to get warmed up to optimal sound (true about most tubes amps though)
  • Runs pretty hot (nice in the winter though!)

Jun 1, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #42 of 263
Welcome to the club!
I have been using the Valhalla 2 for a while... I love it and I don't have any plans to replace it anytime soon...
I love it even as my preamp, feeding a tube amplifier...

Tube rolling is interesting as well... I think the stock tubes are pretty good tho.

Currently, my favorite is the Mullard 12at7.

Stay safe! Happy Holidays!
What benefit do you get running a tube Valhalla as a preamp to your speaker tube power amp? Just curious as I'll be getting a Valhalla soon as a 2nd amp, but would be interested in seeing what versatility it has as a preamp too!

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #43 of 263
What is the lowest impedance headphone (dynamic, planar, whatever) - and what model is it - that Valhalla 2 owners have used successfully? That is, without bass bloat or other frequency response aberrations.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #44 of 263
What is the lowest impedance headphone (dynamic, planar, whatever) - and what model is it - that Valhalla 2 owners have used successfully? That is, without bass bloat or other frequency response aberrations.
Mathematically the answer is 28. 3.5ohm impedance (on low gain) x 8 = 28. On high gain it would be 112.

In reality, the Elex (80ohm) sounded great on high gain to my ears. YMMV.

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #45 of 263
I picked up the valhalla2 used from a Reddit member, should be here on Monday, along with a bunch of tubes. I can’t wait to try them with my LCD-3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back