Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Jan 10, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #617 of 965
those are great speakers congrats! do they tend to have sibilance?

No, not at all to me. Yes my LS50s have more pronounced mids, but at my age so do my ears. These seem to compensate for my hearing deficiencies, and as such are very pleasing to me. Better highs and better lows, and my ears enhance the mids. What is not to like.

And the WAF is very high. They are very beautiful speakers.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #618 of 965
I'm currently using my laptop as a music source. But I would like to try and eliminate that and add something that will stream and rip CDs. Does anyone have experience with the Bluesound Vault 2i ?

Jan 18, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #619 of 965
Hi Mr Rick - I am not using the Vault, but I am using the Bluesound Node 2i. I'm very pleased with it both functionally and soundwise, as I use it to stream from both my computer (a desktop) and from the internet without having to run a USB connection to the DAC. Since the Vault appears to be a Node 2i with ripping and storage capabilities, I expect that it would work well.

EDIT - the Node 2i and the computer are connected via a network SMB share via wifi.

ed

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #620 of 965
Hi Mr Rick - I am not using the Vault, but I am using the Bluesound Node 2i. I'm very pleased with it both functionally and soundwise, as I use it to stream from both my computer (a desktop) and from the internet without having to run a USB connection to the DAC. Since the Vault appears to be a Node 2i with ripping and storage capabilities, I expect that it would work well.

EDIT - the Node 2i and the computer are connected via a network SMB share via wifi.

ed

Really?? Can I still run the Vault into my Gungnir Multibit?

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #622 of 965
More: to elaborate, I connect to Tidal and my desktop computer via the Node 2i. I can select music via the BluOS app and switch as needed between the two. I imagine the Vault will simply be another “source” of music in the BluOS app.

I then output via the digital co-ax out to the co-ax in on the Mytek. The Mytek is connect balanced to the Freya+, thence to the amps.

I have the Node 2i set to output MQA files (yeah, yeah) from Tidal to the Mytek, which can fully unfold the MQA files.

You can also set the Bluesound up to send partially unfolded MQA at 24/96 (which I understand is called MQB) to your Gugnir and it will play it back even without any MQA decoding on the Schiit.

The one downside if it even applies is iirc the coax by its nature is limited to 24/96 output.

ed

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #623 of 965
More: to elaborate, I connect to Tidal and my desktop computer via the Node 2i. I can select music via the BluOS app and switch as needed between the two. I imagine the Vault will simply be another “source” of music in the BluOS app.

I then output via the digital co-ax out to the co-ax in on the Mytek. The Mytek is connect balanced to the Freya+, thence to the amps.

I have the Node 2i set to output MQA files (yeah, yeah) from Tidal to the Mytek, which can fully unfold the MQA files.

You can also set the Bluesound up to send partially unfolded MQA at 24/96 (which I understand is called MQB) to your Gugnir and it will play it back even without any MQA decoding on the Schiit.

The one downside if it even applies is iirc the coax by its nature is limited to 24/96 output.

ed

Great information. One last thing. It must be hard wired to my Router, yes??

My Router is in another part of the house.

Thanks again.

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #624 of 965
No hardwire needed - you can connect via wifi to your home network.

EDIT: Looks like the Node and the Vault may differ in this regards. :frowning2:

ed

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #625 of 965
No hardwire needed - you can connect via wifi to your home network.

EDIT: Looks like the Node and the Vault may differ in this regards. :frowning2:

ed

Yes, I believe that is the case. My hopes were that I could rip all my CDs and take it to another location where I am off grid and do not have internet. Now, I'm not so sure.

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #627 of 965
I believe it requires the internet for metadata. I'll have to contact Bluesound to nail this down.

Thanks for all your help.

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #628 of 965
While continuing to ponder my ripping / streaming dilemma, I decided to attack the basics of my Montana cabin system.
I had pretty much convinced myself that the Ragnarok integrated would be the right choice to drive my Harbeths, and also have open ended and balanced capability for my headphones.

On the night before I planned to visit the Schittr I had an epiphany. I already have a Jotunheim, all I really need is amplification. With balanced preamp outputs the Jotunheim can handle a pair of bridged amplifiers or monoblocks should that become necessary.

So the next day, off I went to the Schittr. And, I came home with a...............Vidar!

I loved both the Vidar and Aegir, but the Vidar seems to have just a bit more to offer on the bottom end. And, of course the Vidar offers a bit more power than a pair of Aegirs. Though, I was not able to listen to a pair of Aegirs in bridged mode.

Sometime in the future I'll probably try a single Aegir with my Tannoy XT8 Fs. They are 91db efficient, and I'm currently driving them to good effect with a PrimaLuna Prologue Five providing 36wpc using KT88s.

Now, I just need to wait till spring. Then I can haul my Schiit to Montana. It's going to be a tuneful summer.

Jan 29, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #629 of 965
I've been looking for a central place to discuss Schiits offerings in the world of two channel equipment. Specifically the Saga, Freya, Vidar, Ragnarok and of course the Schiit DACs used in the two channel environment.

No passwords or secret handshakes required, just an interest in two channel from the Schiit point of view.

All are welcome. Anyone care to join?
biggrin.gif

Hi All, I’m bringing this up here at the invitation of Mr Rick (thanks!)

I might ask up front, has anyone tried mono Aegirs with Maggies and found them wanting as predicted by those here and elsewhere?

Doesn’t the Schiit have mono Aegirs, Vidars and a 1.7i?

Earlier, Renault 4 asked: Hi all, long time user of Schiit headphone rig (Bifrost Multibit/Valhalla2/Loki) and now planning and researching on an eventual 2-channel pre-amp/amp/speaker setup for a small, dedicated listening/office space (about 12 x 14). My purchase target date is late September, so I'm taking the time to research and audition the different components I'm thinking about.

While I have been narrowing in on a Freya+/mono Aegir/KEF LS50 combo I am interested in hearing from folks on any experience they've had with Aegir monos and Maggies (I'd say either the LRS or the .7i ideally); I listen mostly to classical piano, from solo to concerto as well as modern composers, minimalist and some latter day ambient, as well as some jazz. I am more in to presence and resolution than loudness or deep window-shaking bass. In other words, I don't get the impression I would be pushing the Aegirs out to the edge of their envelope...

I see some discussion on this here from around April '19 and have read the Stereophile review; now, with the passage of time, I'm interested to see if opinions have evolved.

thanks for your thoughts!

Crazyclhile said:This subject has come up a few times before... If you own Magneplanars, the Aegir is NOT for you. I've tried Aegir on the MMG, and it's not worth the effort beyond satisfying the curiosity of a quick experiment.

Mono Aegirs on Maggies still won't bring the power up into the range to give decent headroom. Even at low listening levels, the dynamics will be compressed. Maggies are 86dB efficient. I wouldn't consider using Aegir on anything less than 93-94 efficiency, and that will be borderline.

Dieselt said: 88db speakers are well enough for Aegir 2x

Derrick Stewart (in responding to crazychile) said: why? depends on how loud you listen, the distance from the listening place to the speakers and the placement of the speakers. I am not an engineer but I think besides the sensitivity it also has to do how difficult the load is (drops below 2 Ohm for example are hard for an amplifier i believe) I am quite sure that one Aegir will play my ATC SCM19 loud enough in my 12m2 room, speakers in corner and about 2.5meter distance. I guess about 95 dB (their max is 108dB), I think rarely get above 90dB. But that is me.

Wasn't it like this: from one watt to two watt is plus 3dB and from 2 to 4watt adds another 3dB, and so on?

Not sure though if it shall sound better than my current two mono amps. (they still work and sound fine so need to replace)

Jan 29, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #630 of 965
oops I meant:

Doesn’t the Schiitr have mono Aegirs, Vidars and a 1.7i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back