Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Apr 2, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #496 of 965
Apr 11, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #497 of 965
(This is a dup from the main Schiit thread. I thought you would like to read this as well)

Got my Vidar a few days ago but wasn't home to connect them up. Poor baby has been sitting in a box for 2 whole days!

Decided to use them for the mains until my "real" amps get back from an upgrade since the Art SLA2 and its fan and general mushiness was really starting to grate on me. Especially since I got a pair of these Jansens 2 weeks ago and omg they are amazing. If you can swing it, buy a pair. I got mine used.

Anyway, back to the stone cold fresh out of the box Vidar in stereo mode. Right off the bat they sound less strained than the SLA2, like they are loafing through the music. No noise that I can hear over background noise, everything sounds crystal. Ok, so they're quiet, big whoop.

Then I play the first track from Planet Drum, Urdu Chant. The soundstaging is just incredible, I never heard those instruments move through space like that.

I have been playing 80s to loosen up the Janszens so I play Planet Rock which sounds great but nothing new there, bass is nicely defined.

Then I play Blue Monday by New Order. This is the opening song on Atomic Blonde IIRC and I've been hearing/playing it a lot lately because of that. There's a high pitched tone that plays. Usually, I notice it from the start. With the Vidar, though, I can hear that it starts very softly like at the back of the stage and then comes forward and louder. Never heard that before.

I figure if the Vidar can do that then I should try some poorly mastered Police on it, so I play Invisible Sun. With the SLA2 the whole thing sounds pretty monotonous and grainy. With the Vidar, I can actually distinguish the different types of drums being played. Again, new experience.

Lastly I play a piece called Double Concerto for 2 Violins, Strings & Continuo in D Minor, BWV 1043 with Anne-Sophie Mutter. I have found it very hard to actually hear 2 violins on that recording but I can now. Maybe not like Anne-Sophie over there and Noa Wildschut over here but, yeah, 2 violins for sure.

It's also nice that the Vidar is pretty compact.

I may have accidentally started a love affair between my Vidars and my Janszens....

Sorry it's not Aegir news but I am blown away.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #498 of 965
Glad to find this thread. Just joined this forum because I’ve decided to add a headphone setup for 2 channel listening at work.

I didn’t expect to find a thread here dedicated to traditional systems focused around Schitt gear. I like the fact there are a mix of folks posting - including those who prefer other brands.

For me personally, 2018 was the year I finally put together a dedicated 2 channel system - and I’ve been very pleased with the results.

My first decision was Speakers - feeling like a significant investment there was critical for good results. After a lot of research and a trip to the factory - I settled on Salk Song 3As. They are accurate and musical - and it doesn’t hurt that they are drop dead gorgeous. They are probably the best built piece of “furniture” I own.

From an electronics standpoint, I have a colleague who is a big Schitt fan - so he convinced me to take a look. After AXPONA last year - where I previewed Schitt gear driving the very Speakers I had ordered - I decided that was the direction to go. Since my custom built Salk Song 3As wouldn’t be ready for several months - I started slowly and started adding pieces one at a time (using existing speakers).

My first piece was a used decent quality TEAC CD-2000 SACD player with a built-in DAC. I have a large CD / SACD collection - and I hadn’t yet figured out a good way to rip the SACDs (I’ve since solved that). For amplification, I started with Saga and a single Vidar. I also picked up a Mani phono stage to pair with an Audio Technica AT-LP5. A Wyrd cleaned up the USB interface between my Mac Mini and the DAC built into the TEAC. I signed up for Roon & Tidal and loved it. After the Salk’s came in, I sold the Saga at a fair price - and upgraded to Freya. A month or two after that I added a second Vidar. Finally, after some internal debate between Gugnir & Bifrost Multi-bit (Bimby) - I went with Bimby for a DAC upgrade (eliminating Wyrd).

For power management and switching - I went with a Panamax M5300-PM. While I would have much preferred a silver unit for better aesthetics, functionally this unit is fantastic. The Mac Mini and Bimby are powered up all the time - and there are special high power outlets (with appropriate switching sequencing) for the Vidars.

Cable wise I didn’t go nuts - but I did buy entry level power, RCA, USB and balanced cables from Pangea Audio - and an Ethernet Cable from Audioquest. Do I think they made an audible difference? Likely not, but why connect decent gear with el-cheapo mass produced spaghetti wire?

Everything went in a Salamander rack, and I’ve been pleased with the results. Upgrades? Probably not anytime soon - but a Gugnir DAC is a possibility (relegating the Bimby to headphone duty) and possibly trading Vidars for Aegirs.

Right now I’m on a train to Chicago heading for AXPONA 2019, looking forward to 2 days of a full-speed ahead Audio geek out.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #499 of 965
Apr 12, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #500 of 965
Glad to find this thread. Just joined this forum because I’ve decided to add a headphone setup for 2 channel listening at work.

I didn’t expect to find a thread here dedicated to traditional systems focused around Schitt gear. I like the fact there are a mix of folks posting - including those who prefer other brands.

For me personally, 2018 was the year I finally put together a dedicated 2 channel system - and I’ve been very pleased with the results.

My first decision was Speakers - feeling like a significant investment there was critical for good results. After a lot of research and a trip to the factory - I settled on Salk Song 3As. They are accurate and musical - and it doesn’t hurt that they are drop dead gorgeous. They are probably the best built piece of “furniture” I own.

From an electronics standpoint, I have a colleague who is a big Schitt fan - so he convinced me to take a look. After AXPONA last year - where I previewed Schitt gear driving the very Speakers I had ordered - I decided that was the direction to go. Since my custom built Salk Song 3As wouldn’t be ready for several months - I started slowly and started adding pieces one at a time (using existing speakers).

My first piece was a used decent quality TEAC CD-2000 SACD player with a built-in DAC. I have a large CD / SACD collection - and I hadn’t yet figured out a good way to rip the SACDs (I’ve since solved that). For amplification, I started with Saga and a single Vidar. I also picked up a Mani phono stage to pair with an Audio Technica AT-LP5. A Wyrd cleaned up the USB interface between my Mac Mini and the DAC built into the TEAC. I signed up for Roon & Tidal and loved it. After the Salk’s came in, I sold the Saga at a fair price - and upgraded to Freya. A month or two after that I added a second Vidar. Finally, after some internal debate between Gugnir & Bifrost Multi-bit (Bimby) - I went with Bimby for a DAC upgrade (eliminating Wyrd).

For power management and switching - I went with a Panamax M5300-PM. While I would have much preferred a silver unit for better aesthetics, functionally this unit is fantastic. The Mac Mini and Bimby are powered up all the time - and there are special high power outlets (with appropriate switching sequencing) for the Vidars.

Cable wise I didn’t go nuts - but I did buy entry level power, RCA, USB and balanced cables from Pangea Audio - and an Ethernet Cable from Audioquest. Do I think they made an audible difference? Likely not, but why connect decent gear with el-cheapo mass produced spaghetti wire?

Everything went in a Salamander rack, and I’ve been pleased with the results. Upgrades? Probably not anytime soon - but a Gugnir DAC is a possibility (relegating the Bimby to headphone duty) and possibly trading Vidars for Aegirs.

Right now I’m on a train to Chicago heading for AXPONA 2019, looking forward to 2 days of a full-speed ahead Audio geek out.

Nice on the Salk's . I Own a pair of song 3's and absolutely love them. Have fun at Axpona.

Apr 13, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #501 of 965
I use Salk pictures when I'm trying to convince my better half that speakers don't have to be unattractive. I really drool over Salk's subwoofers.

Selah makes some really nice stuff as well. And the Austrian companies Trenner&Friedl and Vienna Acoustics, oh man.

Apr 15, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #502 of 965

I also have the Salk Song3As and love them. A Vidar or Aegir will be a future upgrade. I will be interested to hear your Salk/Schiit impressions.

Jun 2, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #503 of 965
sub'd

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #506 of 965
I did not have the original freya, i read all i could about it and not being able to turn off tube section when changing to jfet/ or passive mode turned me off! So i went to the source schiit audio and lo and behold those two old farts did a upgrade + version that addressed that problem and i jumped on it, al beit for 200.00 more . I also bought a mani phono preamp , got both same day! 1st 10 hrs or so i was in hell chasing down hum/buzz on steroids! But i got it all figured out and from that point on i was godsmacked! Both pieces are seriously good sounding, once you tame the hum monster, running xlr for all digital and of course rca for my turntable.The freya+ runs too damn hot to me, i mean fry eggs on the top plate hot, i took a laptop cooler and parked it under it, , didnt help too much, but then i took 2 mini laptop processor fans and shoo gooed them side by side mounted them on a small marble base to get height right and have them sucking hot air out, of the 2 transformers area on the left side of preamp that get way hotter than the tube side, anyway freya + is running luke warm now! Has not changed the sound one iota either, just alot cooler inside that box which im sure the caps like indeed. I have tekton lore (upgraded) spkrs so efficient that going to passive , or jfet does not create volume issues, that is not enough of volume problems. My opinion the key for schiit freya is to have very efficient spkrs! Cant imagine what a pair of double impacts would do under the influence of schiit like freya+! My lores are animals now LOL! Oh i have a suped up pc and a 55" hdtv parked right beside stereo racks and use the usb of pc to tun the fans , they stay on all the time , dont shut off when pc does, in case i dont want to use tv while jammin stereo.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Jun 20, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #507 of 965
I don't know what you did to make your whole post a link to a profile but an observation. Whitespace and punctuation can vastly improve the readability/understandability of your musings.

I gather that you think the Freya+ runs too hot but sounds seriously good through your Tekton Lores? Maybe it's defective?

What amplification are you using?

Jun 20, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #508 of 965
I don't know what you did to make your whole post a link to a profile but an observation. Whitespace and punctuation can vastly improve the readability/understandability of your musings.

I gather that you think the Freya+ runs too hot but sounds seriously good through your Tekton Lores? Maybe it's defective?

What amplification are you using?
your defective!

Jun 20, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #510 of 965
I have an OG Freya, but I got it with LISST since I didn’t want to mess with tubes. Of course now the Freya S would take care of that, providing extra gain with less noise. Though with Magnepans, I’m not really able to hear the noise floor even in tube gain
And OG Freya also gets pretty hot, but not as hot as a pair of Vidars pushing the 1.7i pair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back