1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by mr rick, Apr 5, 2017.
First

Back
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Next

Last
  1. Tim van der Leeuw
    Well, after some discussions with the wife I'm sorry to say, but for the foreseeable future I won't be getting these speakers! There is no way to audition them, and ordering them from UK or US without auditioning is... a bit too risky, especially since returning will incur big transportation costs.

We've been listening to several speakers in the meantime now: DALI Rubicon 2, KEF R3, Sonus Faber Sonetto 2, Monitor Audio Gold 100 5g, DynAudio Evoke 10 & 20.

And the winner: DynAudio Special 40.

Sounds best of all speakers, with 2 different amplifiers (Ragnarok 2, NAIM Atom Unity). 2nd best: Monitor Audio Gold 100.

KEF R3 had rave reviews so I had high expectations of them but they really disappointed. They sounded better with the Ragnarok 2 than with the NAIM Atom Unity, at least they were listenable, but nothing to make them stand out. Nothing "wow" about them.

yonson, shultzee and Alcophone like this.
  2. Derrick Swart
    in your room? or at the dealer?
    try atc scm19, i miss them so much...5 months we are seperated now (Helios can help you with the ATCs https://www.hifi-import.nl/producten/product/atc-entry-series/scm19-pair)

3. Tim van der Leeuw
    Dealer room.
    I was recommended ATC SCM11 before; the SCM19 looks like a step up from that but I could only find one place to listen to them and that was, if memory doesn't deceive me, in Leiden. Given how constrained we are with time to go anywhere for listening sessions during shop opening hours, I decided not to try.

The DynAudio Special 40s sounded great, and they have been ordered now, so the speaker-question has been decided.

Now to decide on an amplifier / DAC / streamer combo: Does the Ragnarok 2 get to stay? Or will it have to be returned, in favour of a NAIM all-in-one?

The NAIM Atom Unity sounded a lot more musical, with any speaker we tried, than the Ragnarok. But in the end we concluded that this difference was mostly in the DAC used in the tests: the Rag was paired with a BlueSound Node 2i for streaming and DAC. The NAIM Unity was streaming from the optical output of the Node 2i, but using it's own DAC.
    When however we connected the analog output of the Node 2i to the NAIM Unity and made direct comparison of the DACs, it became clear that extra all musicality of the NAIM came from the DAC it has.

So if I want to keep the Rag, I'll have to find a good DAC to pair it with... :ksc75smile:

Alcophone likes this.
  4. grokit
    This would seem to invite the question, have you auditioned Yggdrasil with the Ragnarok? They do look pretty good together.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  5. yonson
    As a Dynaholic I will definitely agree that the Special 40's are quite "special". If you ever decide to upgrade definitely give the Contour 20's a listen and even though I only got to hear the new Confidence 20's for a short period of time, they definitely are a step up from the C1's...

Tim van der Leeuw likes this.
  6. Tim van der Leeuw
    No I haven't, but Yggy is also pretty much out of budget range... And I don't like the "it takes a month of being constantly on to warm up and sound real good"... Anyway I will next Thursday try the Ragnarok 2 with Bifrost 2 and same speakers, in comparison with the NAIM and perhaps some other DACs.

grokit likes this.
  7. Derrick Swart
    grokit likes this.
  8. artur9
    From all accounts the B 2 is quite the DAC. And quite a bit cheaper than Naim, no?

9. Tim van der Leeuw
    Hi Wout31,

Just wanted to get back to you to say, you were right about the speakers. Even with a new amp, they don't sound that great anymore. Sure, not bad, but not in the same league as the speakers we've been listening to over the last couple of weeks and have ordered.

:)

Alcophone likes this.
  10. grokit
    I'm in the same boat, saved some 57 year old JBLs in furniture cabinets. I finally ID's them and I'm planning on getting the crossovers rebuilt, but am not holding out hope that they will start blowing me away.

11. Tim van der Leeuw
    As just a DAC, vs the NAIM as a whole system, yes. But of course it's either getting the NAIM system, or getting the Bifrost + Ragnarok + streamer.
    Then the difference is not so big anymore.

12. wout31
    LOL I myself are still using 60 year old speakers with original Quad ESL's from 1955/1957 (first release). My pair is from 1972 according to the serial numbers. That still is some 45 years old. https://quadesl.nl/esl-geschiedenis/
    It's not my only pair of speakers, but it is still quite amazing what Peter Walker OBE put together in the fifties of last century. The music of the period (fifties to seventies) still sounds amazing on this set. Only needs 1 Aegir with 2x20W in 8 ohm to drive them.
    The only other speaker set I have are the successors the ESL-63 the F.R.E.D The technique is still the same in the full range electrostatic speakers of current day. Like lots of things in the audio industry technique don't change very much over the years/decades, only pricing. :ksc75smile:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  13. grokit
    I decided mine were 57 because I found them on a 1962 JBL price list, and that makes them the same age as me. They have LE14C coaxial drivers doing everything, with LX2-1 crossovers going to the high and low terminals. They have a passive front-facing bass port that seems primitive. I'm listening to them, trying to decide if we're just going to rehab the crossovers, or hack in some kind of midrange driver to see about improving on them. They sound good for their age, but I can hear enough to agree with their reputation that the midrange was somewhat sacrificed in the original design, no doubt to keep things simple (& cheap) for the furniture makers. I'm okay with trying it if I don't need to cut any wood, which I would be unable to do without screwing up the front grilles. There's a 2.5" x 5" horizontal opening that's been covered that we could use.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  14. unsane69
    Alcophone and Tim van der Leeuw like this.
  15. unsane69
First

Back
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Next

Last