Schiit Stack Modi 2 + Magni 2(uber?) paired with LCD-2 or DT990 600 omh
May 13, 2015 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SyDroX

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I've found a good deal for a used LCD-2 rev 2 pair (600$).
I was wondering if I should go full hi-fi and get those with the Schiit Magni/Modi stack or settle with a DT990 600omh.

I'll be using these headphones for music of all genres (I like bass) and gaming.

So it's either 
LCD-2 rev.2 - 600$
Schiit Modi 2 - 100$
Schiit Magni 2 (uber?) - 100$(150$)

Or

DT 990 600omh - 250$
Schiit Modi 2 -100$
Schiit Vali / Magni 2 - 120$/100$

What would you guys recommend me to get?

May 13, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 16
My vote goes to the Audezes, but your the guy that is laying out the $$. 2.2s are great phones:)

May 14, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 16
My vote goes to the Audezes, but your the guy that is laying out the $$. 2.2s are great phones:)

True, but I was planning to get the audeze as my end-game. The thing is will it perform well with the Schiit stack? Or in general comparison to the dt990 600ohm?Is the magni 2 sufficient? Or do I need to get the magni 2 uber?

May 14, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 16
You shouldn't need the Uber with either. Do note, the Audeze isn't bass heavy, the DT990 is.

May 15, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 16
The have deep bass, yes. But what can be hard to tell from the graphs is the relative levels that your brain hears. DT990's are V-shaped, which means more bass and treble, the Audeze might just look bassier because of the way the graph is laid out or because of just deep bass. But it's a 'natural' sounding can, near neutral, if a bit 'dark'.

May 15, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 16
The have deep bass, yes. But what can be hard to tell from the graphs is the relative levels that your brain hears. DT990's are V-shaped, which means more bass and treble, the Audeze might just look bassier because of the way the graph is laid out or because of just deep bass. But it's a 'natural' sounding can, near neutral, if a bit 'dark'.

I came across the phrase "dark" quite a few times in this forum what does it mean?

Will using my desktop's EQ help me achieve the same bassiness the dt990s offer?

Or am I just better to go with the dt990s?

May 15, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 16
I'm not a fan of EQ, but it's worth a shot. I love the LCD-2's :). Dark means the highs/treble are a little lower in volume than the mids and bass. I think it's much more realistic sounding.

May 15, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 16
I'm not a fan of EQ, but it's worth a shot. I love the LCD-2's :). Dark means the highs/treble are a little lower in volume than the mids and bass. I think it's much more realistic sounding.

Have you owned a pair of dt990s?
Seems like you are quite familiar with those cans?

And do you have/had the Schiit stack?

May 15, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 16
Haven't heard it, no, but I have friends who have heard both the LCD-2 and DT990 and talked to them, and I've never heard of a review calling the DT990 weak neutral or sub-neutral. I own LCD-2's. The Schiit stack is popular due to the low output impedance, noise, and high power output.

May 16, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 16
Haven't heard it, no, but I have friends who have heard both the LCD-2 and DT990 and talked to them, and I've never heard of a review calling the DT990 weak neutral or sub-neutral. I own LCD-2's. The Schiit stack is popular due to the low output impedance, noise, and high power output.

I see. What amp amp/dac are you using with the LCDs? And which one is your friend using?
I've asked on Tek Syndicate aswell and got a reply that I should instead of getting the stack get the Schiit Lyr(no dac)

May 16, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #12 of 16
I use an Audio-GD NDB-28. He used a Fiio X5, a vintage receiver, and Fiio E12 out of a Sansa Clip IIRC.

The Lyr was practically designed for the Audezes :). I think you'd be happy either way. You could always look used, too. A used Lyr 1 + Modi 1 or something.

Any chance you could audition the cans before you buy them?

May 16, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #14 of 16
  I use an Audio-GD NDB-28. He used a Fiio X5, a vintage receiver, and Fiio E12 out of a Sansa Clip IIRC.

The Lyr was practically designed for the Audezes :). I think you'd be happy either way. You could always look used, too. A used Lyr 1 + Modi 1 or something.

Any chance you could audition the cans before you buy them?

Yes his actually insisting me to audition them before I purchase them :)
but the thing is I can't get both, even if I resell one of them - the import fee is insane here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back