Schiit Saga Tube Rolling
Jan 10, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #76 of 167
I'm curious about the idea of using an adapter from 6SN7 to 7N7 - which are supposed to sound great be cheaper - but all the adapters I found online require rewiring into the pre-amp - literally replacing the socket... is this the case? Is there an adapter I could drop into the existing socket (in Freya? when it finally get's to Britain) - that would be awesome!

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #77 of 167
I'm curious about the idea of using an adapter from 6SN7 to 7N7 - which are supposed to sound great be cheaper - but all the adapters I found online require rewiring into the pre-amp - literally replacing the socket... is this the case? Is there an adapter I could drop into the existing socket (in Freya? when it finally get's to Britain) - that would be awesome!

The 7n7 uses a loktal base but is electrically identical to a octal base (6sn7). I suppose you could modify the 7n7 tube by crimping spacers to the pins to increase their diameter so it makes good contact. The pin spacing is apparently identical.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #78 of 167
  Messing around with various tubes in my Freya, I've noticed you are best off with your most transparent tubes in the buffer stage.    So, now I have my Sylvania VT-231 in the buffer stage. 

The Kenrad VT-231 and Sylvania 1952 6SN7GT chrome domes I have sound similar (great bass, slightly less transparent).  I've settled on the KenRads in the gain stage for now.  If I use those tubes in both stages, sound starts to get a little syrupy because I think they just compound each other.

I have CBS Hytron 5692 (brown base) and RCA VT-231 grey bottles on the way to try out too.

How does the 5692 sound as input buffer in the Freya?

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #79 of 167
Would this work without rewiring?  I assumed that the point of tube adapters was that they eliminated rewiring.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-7N7-7F7-TO-6SN7GT-B65-6SL7-tube-converter-adapter/201320848428?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D407a7a982b9144989da7fb5990ff0ba4%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D191571501320

Sorry for the long link.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #80 of 167

It says 7n7 to 6sn7 but LOOKS like a 6sn7 to 7n7. You might have to just take one for the team.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #81 of 167

This is Interesting, My Expectation was the tube selection in the Buffer stage would not have much if any effect. Are you only Rolling NOS?

I guess this will Be the Saga/Freya Impressions thread until someone create a Freya Thread. My Freya is on the way (Although it will be here on Friday when I am out of town) Monday is a Holiday for me so  I will have some time to play Once I pick it up from the fedex store.

Yes, I'm only rolling NOS.  I've tried new 12AU7 and 12AT7 tubes before and was never impressed.  Granted, they're not broken in yet, but I'm not impressed with the 1980s NOS Russian tubes that came with it either.

In my experience, the buffer stage has less impact than the gain stage, but it can still muck up the sound if you don't put transparent tubes there.  

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #84 of 167
Got my JAN-CHY-5692 brown base for my Saga. Wow! Soundstage is also very wide like the RCAs, but the biggest difference is the slight harshness from the RCA GTB is completely gone! Only CON is that the price is getting insanely expensive for a 5692 brown base.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #85 of 167
Found a very interesting reference via Google.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/MostVacuumTubes.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj404XwitnRAhUjxFQKHY2oAcgQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNFYJnkwVMl3EWJxJcRm1V6Y07z9Hg

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #87 of 167
For me, the new stock Tung Sol was the first tube I got for the Saga, as I use the 12au7/6189 they make in my Crack.  I posted on this earlier in the thread, no specifically about the Tung-Sol, just that from the tubes I tried, I just don't hear a lot of difference in them, and yet, have come back to the Tung-Sol. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #89 of 167
Tried them just before the Hafler blew up. They were excellent.

I’ve been running RCA in my SAGA for a few weeks now but the Tung Sol popped through the letter box this morning and curiosity got the better of me.

A bit of a nice surprise really.

After a few hours cooking.

Firstly I’d say that to my ears and in my set up these sound quite a bit better than the stock tubes and in comparison to the RCA are richer and rounder. They also have a slightly different sound shape compared to the wide and high RCA they are just a tad slimmer and less tall. But they do seem to have a deeper presentation with more of the tube mid’s which puts more meat on the bone of vocals for example. Nicely deep in the bass also. The top seems to have just a little less sparkle than the RCA but that may change as these tube really warm up.

Big, beefy, and very fruity so far without losing detail.

Not bad for a current production tube and the Russians can make them BTW. I’ve had some very nice 6n1p/6n6p in the past.

I’m liking the Tung Sol ATM.

It’s great fun.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #90 of 167

I’ve been running RCA in my SAGA for a few weeks now but the Tung Sol popped through the letter box this morning and curiosity got the better of me.

A bit of a nice surprise really.

After a few hours cooking.

Firstly I’d say that to my ears and in my set up these sound quite a bit better than the stock tubes and in comparison to the RCA are richer and rounder. They also have a slightly different sound shape compared to the wide and high RCA they are just a tad slimmer and less tall. But they do seem to have a deeper presentation with more of the tube mid’s which puts more meat on the bone of vocals for example. Nicely deep in the bass also. The top seems to have just a little less sparkle than the RCA but that may change as these tube really warm up.

Big, beefy, and very fruity so far without losing detail.

Not bad for a current production tube and the Russians can make them BTW. I’ve had some very nice 6n1p/6n6p in the past.

I’m liking the Tung Sol ATM.

It’s great fun.

Wow, what an endorsement of the Tung-Sols.

Which RCAs were you running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back