Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Sep 4, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #1,741 of 1,980
Howdy, folks. I have a few questions re: Ragnarok V1 and its volume knob. Hoping one or more of you fine folks can help me out. The volume knob on my unit is loose and wobbles, so I tried tightening it up to no avail. Tried tightening the set screw with hex wrenches, small flat blade screwdriver, and small phillips screw driver -- all to no avail.

1. Can someone tell me what type of set screw and the size tool/bit required?
2. In case it is stripped, does anyone know of a good after-market knob that would work nicley and maintain the aesthetics. (Silver)

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #1,742 of 1,980
Howdy, folks. I have a few questions re: Ragnarok V1 and its volume knob. Hoping one or more of you fine folks can help me out. The volume knob on my unit is loose and wobbles, so I tried tightening it up to no avail. Tried tightening the set screw with hex wrenches, small flat blade screwdriver, and small phillips screw driver -- all to no avail.

1. Can someone tell me what type of set screw and the size toll/bit required?
2. In case it is stripped, does anyone know of a good after-market knob that would work nicley and maintain the aesthetics. (Silver)

Thanks!!

1.5 mm 1/16” hex key to tighten the set screw on my Rag 2 knob.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #1,743 of 1,980
Thanks. I believe I tried a 1.5mm but I'll double-check and give that a try.

Well, it seems my hex sets are not metric so this may do the trick.

Thx!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #1,744 of 1,980

1. Can someone tell me what type of set screw and the size toll/bit required?

Thanks!!
So I have a silver beta Ragnarok V1 and a black Ragnarok V1 that I bought when Schiit was closing them out. Both of them take a 1/16" hex key. The interesting thing is on the black Ragnarok I could loosen the set screw and remove the knob. On the original it didn't want to budge. It's like someone used some red, high strength, Loctite on the set screw. I did have to send in the beta Ragnarok while it was under warranty. It would not power up. Was loose connections on the transformer leads. There is a flat spot on the volume shaft. Normally that is where the set screw should be tightened down. But on the black Ragnarok if the set screw is tightened down on the flat spot the volume knob dot goes from ~5pm - 3pm. So on the black Ragnarok the set screw is not on the flat part of the shaft and the volume knob dot goes from ~7pm - 5pm.

I did put the 1.5mm hex key in and it had a lot of slop before it would "grab" on the latest Ragnarok. Would not even grab at all on the beta Ragnarok. Definitely the wrong size on Ragnarok V1.

Haven't had a need for new knob so not sure on where to get a new knob if you have to go that route....

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #1,746 of 1,980
Yep. 1/16 SAE did it. I tried a slightly larger one previously and thought I had it as there was some resistance. Must have bound up slightly and not actually gripped the set screw.

Well, I ordered a metric hex set, but needed it anyway, so WTH. 😀

Thanks!

Sep 6, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #1,747 of 1,980
Just a note in passing about the volume control knob.
In my early v.1 ragnarok, that set screw was 'doped' with lock-tight from the factory and was VERY difficult to remove, even when the amp was at full temp.

So be careful as those tiny allen set screws are all too easy to 'strip out'.

JJ

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,749 of 1,980
Sep 22, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #1,753 of 1,980
Could you tell a comparable Headphone Amp ao i have a hint in which class it plays today. Thank you
Any. With flexibility of power and drive, it's as versatile as any. There are few amps at $4k+ with better separation and detail retrieval.

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #1,755 of 1,980
please share examples.
I've likely heard all the available amps FOTM.
All Cavalli amps. All ECP amps. OOR, Volot, All Headamp amps.

When you step to certain tube amps, spatial presentation shifts although Ragnarok is not limited in solid state scope.

Pass HPA-1, CFA3, LAu are particularly better refined with top end extension, bass delineation and coherence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back