Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Nov 1, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #1,456 of 1,984
The only headphone I've driven out of the Rag 2 so far is my HE-6. I'm one of the first HE-6 owners, and it's the first time I've liked it out of any headphone port. I used to drive it with speaker amps to get it to work right. Now it works right out of a headamp! I did try them on gain 2, and they lost body/dynamics but still sounded pretty good, almost stat-like. The way the Rag 2's volume works, gain 3 still leaves a wide power curve on the knob. Gain 3 seems to be required on all speakers, even bookshelf. I use it a lot with speakers. I haven't tried gain 1 yet, I'll get some other cans going soon enough and report back.

I'm guessing that using gain 2-3 with the HE-6 is analogous to using gain 1-2 with most other headphones. Haven't used gain 1 at all so far.

I only had my Ragnarok 2 for 11 days. I decided to bite the bullet and sent it back yesterday under the 15-day thing to get the 'just an amp' version, and am really missing it. But I want to get it right for my needs. I was torn when I bought it, and made the wrong call. If it was going on a desktop with a turntable, the 'fully loaded' version would be the way to go, but mine's going to be in the living room. Yeah I do stupid schiit sometimes, but this lets me consider a temporary detour to Yggdrasil GS. Of course my goal is to end up with both of them, if I manage that it's going to be a merry holiday season indeed.

I'm going to a meet next weekend and there will be a Rag 2 there. I've had the Rag 1 for 3.5 years. It's very good, in particular the 4 watts of Class A power. Still the heat it operates at has me concerned about longevity. I assume you are using the XLR connection for the HE-6s. I borrowed a set and like them at Gain 2, but there wasn't much spare room on the knob. If i sell my 1 and get the 2 it would as integrated only. I have a pair of speakers that are 96 watt/db/meter - they like gain 2, I have a pair of old monitors that are 86 db/w/m - gain 2 is good for background.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #1,457 of 1,984
I'm going to a meet next weekend and there will be a Rag 2 there. I've had the Rag 1 for 3.5 years. It's very good, in particular the 4 watts of Class A power. Still the heat it operates at has me concerned about longevity. I assume you are using the XLR connection for the HE-6s. I borrowed a set and like them at Gain 2, but there wasn't much spare room on the knob. If i sell my 1 and get the 2 it would as integrated only. I have a pair of speakers that are 96 watt/db/meter - they like gain 2, I have a pair of old monitors that are 86 db/w/m - gain 2 is good for background.
Yes I'm using the XLR connection. I think the gain, and the volume pot curves may be different on the Rag 2 than the Rag 1 but don't quote me on that.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,458 of 1,984
Yes I'm using the XLR connection. I think the gain, and the volume pot curves may be different on the Rag 2 than the Rag 1 but don't quote me on that.

Yes, I can go along with that. I'm still waiting to find if the comment by Schiit that the Rag 2 is 1 watt class A ties in with former comments that the Rag 1 is 4 watts Class A.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #1,459 of 1,984
Yes, I can go along with that. I'm still waiting to find if the comment by Schiit that the Rag 2 is 1 watt class A ties in with former comments that the Rag 1 is 4 watts Class A.
Makes sense to me about the class A/B thing, because my Rag 2 didn't seem to heat up like the Rag 1 reportedly does.

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #1,460 of 1,984
Makes sense to me about the class A/B thing, because my Rag 2 didn't seem to heat up like the Rag 1 reportedly does.
That’s because Ragnarok 2 has a ton of heatsinking for its rated power, whereas Ragnarok 1 does not and instead uses the chassis itself for cooling together with the ventilation holes.

Anyone not buying a Ragnarok 2 for the sole reason that it is biased “only” 1W into Class A vs. 4W in Ragnarok 1 is missing the forest for a tree.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #1,461 of 1,984
Anyone not buying a Ragnarok 2 for the sole reason that it is biased “only” 1W into Class A vs. 4W in Ragnarok 1 is missing the forest for a tree.

After owning various sliding bias Class A Thresholds, Passes, Schiit and Class A amps that don't slide (Krell, ARC, Bedini) - there is a fairly obvious difference in the sliding bias amps when they shift over. So it seems prudent to find out what I can before I get to compare them in the same place to see if its audible. I've also brought up other points and questions re those 2 amps on Head-Fi.

Never heard in my 48 years in the hobby that seeking to understand and find answers (sonic and otherwise) is considered missing the forest for a tree.

Now, do you have any direct knowledge on the topic of the Rag 1 & Rag 2, including the biasing? If so, and you'd like to share, fine.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #1,462 of 1,984
That’s because Ragnarok 2 has a ton of heatsinking for its rated power, whereas Ragnarok 1 does not and instead uses the chassis itself for cooling together with the ventilation holes.
The Ragnarok 2 also has ventilation holes, right out the lower front panel. Whoops, tried to post a small pic but failed.

After owning various sliding bias Class A Thresholds, Passes, Schiit and Class A amps that don't slide (Krell, ARC, Bedini) - there is a fairly obvious difference in the sliding bias amps when they shift over.
Are most class A amps circlotrons? The Rag 2 further refines the topology so it sound better, and runs cooler. Otherwise why bother? Evolution is the solution!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #1,463 of 1,984
Are most class A amps circlotrons? The Rag 2 further refines the topology so it sound better, and runs cooler. Otherwise why bother? Evolution is the solution!

I know what the reviewers and Schiit say about the 2. Circlotrons were invented in the mid 50's, not many have been made since 1970. Obviously runs cooler which is nice. Do you know first hand that it sounds better? Not trying to be challenging. But I don't want to be run over by marketing/sales/new toy on the block syndrome.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #1,464 of 1,984
I know what the reviewers and Schiit say about the 2. Circlotrons were invented in the mid 50's, not many have been made since 1970. Obviously runs cooler which is nice. Do you know first hand that it sounds better? Not trying to be challenging. But I don't want to be run over by marketing/sales/new toy on the block syndrome.
That's kind of what I'm saying, this is a 'new' technology in that it hasn't been refined in half a century. And now it is. To put it another way, has any Schiit product not sounded better in its second iteration?

I don't have any specific knowledge about Rag 1 vs Rag 2 but I do like what I hear, very much. I read a couple of reviews, what does Schiit say about the 2? I'm not on that chapter yet...

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #1,465 of 1,984
That's kind of what I'm saying, this is a 'new' technology in that it hasn't been refined in half a century. And now it is. To put it another way, has any Schiit product not sounded better in its second iteration?

I don't have any specific knowledge about Rag 1 vs Rag 2 but I do like what I hear, very much. I read a couple of reviews, what does Schiit say about the 2? I'm not on that chapter yet...

Well based on the reviews I might like Gumby 1 over Gumby 2, but otherwise agree.

Schiit says its better, but after being involved in CAD CAM and retail stereo sales for so long, I tend to be from Missouri on claims, although they have more credence than most.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #1,466 of 1,984
Heard the Rag 2 at a meet yesterday. For a bit over 1.5 hours, using Audeze 4z, Abyss Phi, E2, and my own HE6se and HE-500.

Even at full bore the things runs at like 74 F, that's nice. The bass is a hammer - better than the 1. The mids deeper and more layered than the R1. However the treble was kind of wild, and I didn't hear a whole heck of a lot of subtle overtones on pieces I use for comparison. Maybe it was the DAC. At times it was noisy too - but most of the time, not an issue. If I had a shot at trading my R1 for a R2 I'd take it, but taking maybe a $600 loss to do it? Nah.

Nov 29, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #1,467 of 1,984
Time to get it again then. ha. Do you still have the Yggdrasil? That's next on my list

It's a bit late to answer this question now but better late than never. :) I still have my Yggdrasil and it's feeding my 3 tube amps now - ALO Audio Studio Six, Glenn OTL amp and Woo Audio WA22. Headphones are ZMF Verite Open and HD800.

IMG-3741.JPG

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #1,468 of 1,984
Has any Rag 2 owners with balanced headphones notice a loud static hum when no audio is being played on high gain?
My Rag 2 appears to be doing this on my HD800S -- popping can be heard too when the attenuator clicks to a different volume (think Chinese firecracker "popopopop").
However, this is ONLY on high gain w/ balanced outs (SE is hard to notice, Low/Med gain is fine). As of now I'm concluding its just the side effect of having all that speaker amp power channeling to sensitive headphones, which would not warrant a trip to Schiit. Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #1,469 of 1,984
That's exactly why you're hearing the hum. High gain is for speakers and inefficient planar headphones.

Feb 21, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #1,470 of 1,984
Just a follow up if anyone's curious --> I read on the Schiit FAQ about ground loop issues on amps causing hum which provoked me to buy a Hum X isolator. Plugged it into my Rag today and the changes were night and day better. The hum became inaudible and the popping on the attenuator went back to appropriate (quiet) levels. There's definitely a feeling of euphoria here, since it feels like I've unlocked/freed the high gain listening experience on my quasi-sensitive 800S (and the sonic flavor it delivers on the Rag).

Food for thought for those on the fence about high gain on the Rag. Worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back