Schiit Products

Next

Last
  1. jdk6069
    Good afternoon!

I'm new to the audio world (and these forums are actually REALLY helpful!). I'm just seeing if I should spend the money on the Schiit Stack or save up and get the Schiit Jotunheim. My first set of cans is already ordered, HD650, and I'm going to try for some planar's (maybe M1060's) later this summer.

Thanks!

2. trellus
    You’re going to get a lot of different opinions on the Jot, particularly some “eh” on its pairing with the HD 650.

I think it’s safer to go with the Schiit stack and try that before deciding if you really want to go full on with the Jot or else go in a non-Schiit direction - because if you get the Jot, I think it would be best to go for the full Jot with multibit DAC.

3. jdk6069
    So if I don't go full out with the Jot, then which company or dac/amp combo would you recommend?

Thanks for the reply!

4. trellus
    I think the Schiit stack is a safe recommendation if you’re new to all this. I have the Magni 3 amp and tnink it’s great. I’ve never had a Modi DAC but it has a solid reputation.

5. jdk6069
    Hmm, okay.. I appreciate the advice. I'll look more closely at the stack and go from there :)

6. tricolor
    Hey... just my 2 "biased" cents... :)

I have been using the Bifrost along with the Valhalla 2 and they rock! :) so depending on which/what kind of Schiit stack you're looking into... that might be an option as well! :)

Cheers!

trellus likes this.
  7. jdk6069
    Appreciate thee input! I got more research to do!

tricolor likes this.
  8. trellus
    I'm confident that the Bifrost + Valhalla 2 is a higher-end Schiit stack than the Modi 2/Magni 3, for sure, so it really depends on your budget. :)

tricolor likes this.
  9. Geezer Rock 001
    +1 here on the Valhalla 2. Have been very impressed by how well it matched up with HD 600 s and HD 650 s.

trellus, jdk6069 and tricolor like this.
  10. garbulky
    I would whole heartedly reccomend the Emotiva Basx A-100. It really opened up my HD600's. In direct drive mode with jumpers engaged it has nearly unlimited power.

trellus likes this.
  11. jdk6069
    So much to consider now.. thank you all so much!

12. volly
    Go over to Massdrop and check out the MCTH, another good pairing with the HD650!

Also, could be a little cheaper for you.

Good luck!

jdk6069 and tricolor like this.
  13. jdk6069
    Thank you so much for that info, looking into those now! :)

14. tricolor
    Good morning @jdk6069, folks,
    Hope all is well...

Yep, I agree, go for the best solution that fits your ears... quite often the best solution might be simply playing even with your existing setup and fine tune it accordingly... Otherwise we will be going into this deeper and deeper rabbit hole that does nothing but drain our wallets.. :)

If you do indeed have a big budget, the sky is the limit... but also what is quite important is to look into the future... Quite often we think we are "saving", but in the long run it is more expensive... I got my DAC a few years ago... and only just a few months ago I got the Valhalla 2... Slow improvements are kind of cool as well... :)

Don't know if you will be using speakers down the road... but if so, an amp that works as pre-amp might become handy, as it's the Valhalla 2 and others, I guess...

You said you might look into planars... I am not familiar with them... but I believe they kind of "require" good amps... so keep that in mind as well...

Best of luck!
    Cheers!

trellus likes this.
  15. jdk6069
    I'm in it for the headphones strictly. That is why I considered the Schiit Jot so that I wouldn't need to upgrade for some time. I looked around and a lot of people were saying it are plenty for years to come.

tricolor likes this.
Next

Last