Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #2,521 of 13,350
Bazinga!

Quote:
Promise to give it more than 5 minutes? 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #2,523 of 13,350
It doesn't have to be expensive at all. There is a great thread where there are loads of users who have already put a lot of time in tube rolling and you can easily find recommendations for great tubes, for whatever headphones you decide to pair up  http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/7695#post_9531219

I haven't spent much money at all on tubes, but my 650s now sound amazing  
biggrin.gif

This.

Tube rolling with the Lyr does not have to be expensive at all. Just don't get caught up in the quest for must-have-ancient-unobtainium-tubes-of-the-gods and it can be inexpensive and fun.

There are several types of tubes that will roll into the Lyr, sound great and not even come close to breaking the bank.

I've been thinking about putting together a 'starter kit' for it, actually. A few sets of NOS inexpensive, but great sounding tubes, silicon dampers and a pair of socket savers. All tested/matched, bundled together at a reasonable price. I think it might help people new to tubes get their feet wet without having to dive too far in.

-Mike

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #2,524 of 13,350
^ great idea.

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #2,525 of 13,350
Lol...I logged on head-fi and noticed 40 new posts in this thread. First thought in my mind "ZOMG! New product info?!?!?!?!?!?"

Haha, goes to show how desperately i am for more new amp news :p

PS: I technically didnt ASK for more info so the price should not go up by $50

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #2,526 of 13,350
Quote:
People don't talk about the Valhalla because they are to busy listening to their music with it .   
size]

That's better than any of the responses I was trying to come up with!  
happy_face1.gif

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #2,529 of 13,350
Quote:
This.

Tube rolling with the Lyr does not have to be expensive at all. Just don't get caught up in the quest for must-have-ancient-unobtainium-tubes-of-the-gods and it can be inexpensive and fun.

There are several types of tubes that will roll into the Lyr, sound great and not even come close to breaking the bank.

I've been thinking about putting together a 'starter kit' for it, actually. A few sets of NOS inexpensive, but great sounding tubes, silicon dampers and a pair of socket savers. All tested/matched, bundled together at a reasonable price. I think it might help people new to tubes get their feet wet without having to dive too far in.

-Mike

i actually have one for sale but no ones messaged me yet on it. don't post one til mine sells first lol.

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #2,532 of 13,350
Quote:

Tube-rolling... the term that strikes fear in the hearts of bank accounts and wives (only right behind, 'I want to find some nice music gear.').  I love the idea of tube-rolling but I'm wary of never being sure what is 'out there'.  It seems that tube powered amps are a way for audiophiles to punish themselves. 
wink.gif

I am surprised that there isn't more talk about the Valhalla as well.  That is part of the reason I am having so much trouble deciding.  It would seem to be an awesome amp and yet no one talks about it much.  Is that a hint or is it just stuck in the nether-world between the Asgard and Lyr (perhaps they should have named it Niflheim since it is kind of the Norse purgatory).

I am looking at the LCD-2s (I mean who doesn't at some time, but I keep looking at them), and so it would seem that the Valhalla is out but the LCD-2s are a very tenuous maybe while my HD650s are a definite as well as some other dynamics that I'm looking at as well.  Man, while I love this 'hobby', it is frustrating sometimes.

hahaha yeah man i got the Lyr/Bifrost combo recently, and I got the HD650s. these sound phenomenal! I too have the LCD-2 itch (I've been eyeing them for some time now, ever since a head-fi meet recently), but I'm also now debating for a HE-500, just to complement my HD650s, instead of simply upgrading them to the LCD-2. maybe finish off with the ortho pair, LCD-2 AND HE500... since the HD800 is too out of reach...oh my wallet...

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #2,533 of 13,350
Be careful with the lcd2 itch. In terms of weight and comfort, it's like going from a baseball cap to a football helmet...no joke. It won't be just like that for everyone but it was a deal breaker for me. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #2,534 of 13,350
Fortunately I found a store in the area that actually carries the LCD-2 so hopefully they will have a demo unit that I can try out.  There is no way in hell that I am going to drop that kind of money on a headphone without trying them first.  That is what kept me from buying some high end Grados, since I couldn't stand the feel of them when I tried them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back