Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 6, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #618 of 13,350
Quote:
The Asgaed is on its way.

Set for delivery today? I mean, you could wait 1 more day. 
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #621 of 13,350
Arrrrgh!!! My Mjolnir + Gungnir have been sitting for 2 days in my home office. Unfortunately, I cant do much with them because Im still waiting on cables from BTG-Audio. It sounds like they are still about 1.5-2 weeks out before I get my cables :frowning2:

For giggles, because I have the adapters on hand and I was too damn impatient... I ran a dual male XLR to single female XLR > single male XLR to 3.5mm jack > HD800 just to see if I could get a taste. Whew, what a mistake. Not only did it sound dreadful, but I had horrid buzz/hum at zero volume. Guess thats what I get for being so impatient. I'm hoping that the buzz/hum is just from my mental disorder that I have with waiting for my cables to get here and being impatient and not the equipment itself. :/

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #622 of 13,350
Quote:

As of this point in time:

1. As far as we know, all early Asgard owners have been notified, and all who wanted the relay mute have it. A lot of people don't want relays. Of course, others still trickle in from secondhand and thirdhand owners. Relays have been in place since August 2011. If you want to know if an Asgard has a relay, ask the owner if there's a noticeable click 15-20 seconds after it powers up.

2. Only about 10% of total Lyr production went out without a relay. However, although early Lyr owners were notified, the take rate on the relay addition is very low. Most don't want it. Again, if you want to know if it has the relay, ask the owner about the click.

3. If you were not notified, or if you buy an early production Lyr or Asgard that has not had the relay added, the offer stands to retrofit any of them, from any owner (original or second/third/fourth/etc hand) for free. You only pay for shipping. 

This kind of customer-intimate engagement with the community is icing on the cake for the great products Schiit make. That plus the 5-year warranty make the schiit products awesome value. 

Still waiting for my Lyr from Oz. That, with the Bifrost and Asgard already on my desk should keep me happy for a loooong looooong time. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #623 of 13,350
Does anyone have a Bifrost to Asgard AND Lyr setup?

I was told y-splitters will do it with only minimal degradation. If yes, by how much? Also, what cables and splitters would you recommend I use? 

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #624 of 13,350
Quote:
Does anyone have a Bifrost to Asgard AND Lyr setup?

I was told y-splitters will do it with only minimal degradation. If yes, by how much? Also, what cables and splitters would you recommend I use? 

I've run my Bifrost split to Lyr and another non-Schiit amp for a long time.  I also added splitters to my balanced non-Schiit other DAC for splitting one side to Mjolnir and one side to my speaker amp.  This resulted in improved quality, not because of the split, but because of other changes I made at the same time.  Point being: It didn't harm the performance and allowed the upgrade to still show an upgrade.   Y-splitters, while theoretically some degradation could occur, for the run lengths we're talking about I don't see any real chance of problems except in the case of sucktastic cables.  There is a slight signal level loss (read: not quality, just overall level meaning turning the volume knob up the width of a human hair or so fixes it.)  If there's "degradation" it's far off in audiophile la la land.

Good splitters?  I've been using AudioQuest y splitters for the Bifrost....they're cheap(ish), pretty, and work fine.  They're a bit stiff (solid conductor.)

For the balanced XLR splitters I got some 1ft ones from Blue Jeans.  The balanced stuff is a little pricier, but nice quality all around. They make a nice RCA y-split from their MSA-1 cable as well. Nice thing with a custom split like BJC is you don't have to run another cable from the female split to the amp, you can just get it made up to have male connectors of different lengths on each side, so you can plug the split right into both amps...depends on how you want your run to work. 

No doubt someone will say "monoprice!"....it'll work...if that's your sort of thing....
rolleyes.gif
  I've never been fond of their physical build, but in a pinch I'll use them.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #625 of 13,350
To those of you using the pre-outs on the LYR do you keep your amp or anything connected to the pre-out off until the LYR has warmed up (20 seconds) or do you just turn everything on at the same time?

Ive just seen in the manual it says "Lyr can be used as a high-quality preamp. Please note that the preamp outputs are not muted—turn Lyr on at least 20 seconds before turning on your power amp, and turn your amp off before you turn off your Lyr."

What happens if I just turn everything on/off at once?

Cheers
Paul

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #626 of 13,350
Thanks for the detailed reply IEMCrazy! :) Found several retailers of AudioQuest cables here where I am. Gonna probably get those if I find them for a good price.

Still waiting for the Lyr delivery though. it's not actually the lyr but other products holding the delivery. Arrgh! :) Waiting is a **tch.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #627 of 13,350
I figured I would ask you guys before making an entire thread about it...

I have a pair of AKG K272HD headphones I just got and want to pair them with a Schiit amp.

I wanted to get a Valhalla but after reading reviews a few mentioned the Asgard prefers lower impedence phones while the Valhalla likes higher impedence ones.

So do I get the Valhalla or Asgard? The $ difference between the 2 isn't an issue.

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #628 of 13,350
Asgard or Lyr for all headphones-- low or high impedance.
Valhalla for high impedance headphones.

I love how my Asgard drives any headphone I throw at it, including my 600 ohm set.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #630 of 13,350
The Gungnir / Mjolnir is quite good. Very good. Splitting them up; it becomes evident that the Mjolnir is the "bright" sounding part and the Gungnir is the "dark" sounding part. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back