Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 8, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #12,736 of 13,350
Don't forget, the Rag doesn't have a "headphone section" or "speaker section," it's all the same thing, just with different connectors.

True enough. I guess what I'm saying is that going with the Rag provides me little to no consequences in performance.

IMG_5409.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #12,737 of 13,350
Waiting for a pair of Matsushita/National PC88/7DJ8 tubes from Upscale Audio to come in today and try on my Valhalla 2....

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #12,738 of 13,350
GE5670s with adapters are stunning bang for the buck in 6DJ8, 6922, or 7308 sockets.

I grabbed 2 matched pairs of Western Electric 396A NOS (80's) for about $75/pair on ebay after your enthusiastic recommendation here [1] using these adapters [2]. I can confirm they "really work" on Nickel Creek and pretty much everything else too on my Lyr 2.

[1] https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...en-robert-hunter.784471/page-37#post_12457606
[2] http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-Gold-pl...111735?hash=item2c9e670177:g:~IoAAOSw~OVWwGvh

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #12,739 of 13,350
Very impress with the quality of the Mjolnir 2. I plug in my SE846 and Campfire Andromeda to the balanced output of the Mjolnir 2. Yes, I plugin very very sensitive IEM into the 4-Pin XLR tab. And there is absolutely no hiss or ground noise! Total silent background. Now I can enjoy my IEMs with with Gumby / Mjolnir 2 Stack. Schiit's circuits are so good, I can hear hiss on some of my phones when pairing with the SE846 / Andro. But there is none on the Mjolnir 2 XLR output. Damn

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #12,740 of 13,350
So I have these Cambridge Audio Minx 10 on my desk with a monster contraption of a Bifrost, Magni 2 (for volume control) and Parasound Zamp to drive them.

Schiit doesn't make anything like a Magni 2 size speaker amp for desktop use but that's would I'd like, I think. What would be a good Magni size amp /integrated amp? Or Bifrost size?

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #12,741 of 13,350
Hey guys! I was wondering if i could get a little bit of advice pertaining to schiit amps and dacs.
Im wondering whether which combination of dac/amp the better upgrade pertaining to the devices im using. Currently im using a UE CIEM and HD800S with mojos (Completely desktop dac/ampless otherwise)
Given the price points of the various devices, i was considering between
Amps : Ragna / Mjol2
Dacs : Yggy / Gumby.

I dont think im in the position to get the best of the two worlds i.e yggy and ragna (unless the difference is that great). So i was wondering which of the combinations are the best :
Ragna/ Gumby
Yggy / Mjol2
Mjol2 / Gumby

I might incline towards Mjol2/Gumby if the differences between the top tier and 2nd tier amp/dac do not justify their price points.. Hopefully the amp/dac would also be my end gear combinations too :)
Thanks!

I was in the exact same position as you with respect to driving my HD800S. Currently own a Bimby and even considered just getting a Valhalla 2 which I know now would have been a great option having just heard it with HD800 at RMAF Canjam 2017. For your HD800S the Bimby and Valhalla 2 is a great combination for sure. Maybe not as much with your IEM but do not know. I also could not afford both the Raggy and the Yggy at the same time. After much though I went with the Ragnarok for my HD800S. I noticed that Steve Guttenberg gave the Ragnarok the Audiophiliac component of the year award while using the Bimby with it. And Bimby does sound great with Rggy. That is a good thing because it will be about a year before I can purchase the Yggy. So one option is to get the Ragnarok now and then get a Yggy later. As far as the MJ2/Gumby I saw and heard them at RMAF17 and they also sounded great. The MJ2/Gumby is the most beautiful to look at of all the Schiit stacks IMHO. If you are focused on headphones only that may be the best thing for you to get. With the money you save from not getting the Yggy you could get a decent turntable like a Rega RP3 or a Pro-Ject The Classic. With the MJ2 the Gumby would go in balanced and the turntable would go in RCA and you can switch between the two on the front of the MJ2. I almost did this very thing. However I went with the Ragnarok because I wanted to also use it with an old pair of Paradigm Studio 100v.2 speakers I have. The Ragnarok is an improvement over the NAD electronics that were driving my speakers.

So in summary for the HD800S and your budget I would get the MJ2/Gumby and a turntable if you only want it for headphones. But if you think you may want to play through speakers eventually then you can do what I did and get a Ragnarok and Turntable now and a Yggy later. Your Mojo may sound pretty good through the Ragnarok until you can get the Yggy.

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #12,742 of 13,350
I was in the exact same position as you with respect to driving my HD800S. Currently own a Bimby and even considered just getting a Valhalla 2 which I know now would have been a great option having just heard it with HD800 at RMAF Canjam 2017. For your HD800S the Bimby and Valhalla 2 is a great combination for sure. Maybe not as much with your IEM but do not know. I also could not afford both the Raggy and the Yggy at the same time. After much though I went with the Ragnarok for my HD800S. I noticed that Steve Guttenberg gave the Ragnarok the Audiophiliac component of the year award while using the Bimby with it. And Bimby does sound great with Rggy. That is a good thing because it will be about a year before I can purchase the Yggy. So one option is to get the Ragnarok now and then get a Yggy later. As far as the MJ2/Gumby I saw and heard them at RMAF17 and they also sounded great. The MJ2/Gumby is the most beautiful to look at of all the Schiit stacks IMHO. If you are focused on headphones only that may be the best thing for you to get. With the money you save from not getting the Yggy you could get a decent turntable like a Rega RP3 or a Pro-Ject The Classic. With the MJ2 the Gumby would go in balanced and the turntable would go in RCA and you can switch between the two on the front of the MJ2. I almost did this very thing. However I went with the Ragnarok because I wanted to also use it with an old pair of Paradigm Studio 100v.2 speakers I have. The Ragnarok is an improvement over the NAD electronics that were driving my speakers.

So in summary for the HD800S and your budget I would get the MJ2/Gumby and a turntable if you only want it for headphones. But if you think you may want to play through speakers eventually then you can do what I did and get a Ragnarok and Turntable now and a Yggy later. Your Mojo may sound pretty good through the Ragnarok until you can get the Yggy.
Hey dude! Thanks loads for your insights, i definitely gave the options quite a bit of thought and definitely am heading towards your way of getting a yggy later. Since i posted that conundrum, i managed to snag a second hand ragnarok off a user at about a third off its original price.
Im currently awaiting til the end of the year where i can finally travel to somewhere with schiit demo stacks! Looking forward to trying out the yggy and gumby and assess which to get. That being said, i've gotten the ragnarok despite not being a big fan of speakers (i dont have the space for a great speaker setup haha), and would probably chase the tube amp life somewhere in the far future!
Moving from mojo with hd800s to mojo+raggy was a great difference though, at first i didnt entirely enjoy the hd800s with the mojos but with the new addition, im listening to it a lot more than usual. Def a quality purchase to me! :)

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #12,743 of 13,350
Schiit recently released their USB gen 5 for all Schiit dacs and even a usb gen 5 device that convert usb signal to optical. It initiated my interest in using the optical input of my Gungnir Multibit. Most PC motherboard today offers an optical output for audio, I simply grab a Toslink optical cable and its ready to go. I tested between usb input vs optical on the Gungnir. I would say there is a noticeable improvement, it is not to a point where you can literally say the usb input is trash, but at least to my ears there are audible improvements such as improving transparency. It is a relatively small cost to grab a Toslink optical cable from places such as mono price etc if your motherboard already offer optical output. It is definitely worth trying it.

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #12,744 of 13,350
I'm not an owner but looking to buy the Asgard. It seems to be very nice. I had the lyr for a short while and it ran very hot. Is that normal with this line?
Are you using stock tubes with lyr? I recently bought a new pair of electro-harmonix 6922 for my Mjolnir 2, the amp ran noticeable cooler than sock tubes. Both Asgard and Lyr 2 will be warm when they are running, Schiit says it is totally safe.

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #12,745 of 13,350
Schiit recently released their USB gen 5 for all Schiit dacs and even a usb gen 5 device that convert usb signal to optical. It initiated my interest in using the optical input of my Gungnir Multibit. Most PC motherboard today offers an optical output for audio, I simply grab a Toslink optical cable and its ready to go. I tested between usb input vs optical on the Gungnir. I would say there is a noticeable improvement, it is not to a point where you can literally say the usb input is trash, but at least to my ears there are audible improvements such as improving transparency. It is a relatively small cost to grab a Toslink optical cable from places such as mono price etc if your motherboard already offer optical output. It is definitely worth trying it.

Just to clarify the Eitr converts USB to Digital Coax S/PDIF, which is technically superior to optical S/PDIF.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #12,746 of 13,350
I wonder if schiit will make an amp with TTRS 2.5mm balanced as the IEM market is definitely growing at a fast pace.

Anyone using sensitive IEMs such as SE846 / Campfire Andromeda with Schiit stacks? Which stack do you prefer which has the least or no background noise? Currently, my MJ2 stack single end output has audible background noise.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #12,747 of 13,350
I wonder if schiit will make an amp with TTRS 2.5mm balanced as the IEM market is definitely growing at a fast pace.

Anyone using sensitive IEMs such as SE846 / Campfire Andromeda with Schiit stacks? Which stack do you prefer which has the least or no background noise? Currently, my MJ2 stack single end output has audible background noise.

You can buy a compact adapter to convert your TRRS into 4pin XLR. That would be the best solution. Then you can just move it to whatever amp you want with an XLR connection and plug in your IEMs.

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #12,748 of 13,350
So far, I own/have owned 4 Schiit products. Fulla 2, Mimby, Vali 2, and Magni 3. One of these days, I'll climb out of the "mid-fi" rabbit hole. Until then, my wallet will be thankful!

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #12,750 of 13,350
So far, I own/have owned 4 Schiit products. Fulla 2, Mimby, Vali 2, and Magni 3. One of these days, I'll climb out of the "mid-fi" rabbit hole. Until then, my wallet will be thankful!

You picked some great starter equipment.

Stay mid-fi as long as you can. Your wallet will appreciate it...

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back