Schiit Owners Unite
May 12, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #11,776 of 13,350
  Definitely a ground loop of some kind. Switch to optical if you can. I've used optical for years just because it breaks up electrical connections between devices.

Optical is not available unless I use a coax->optical converter.  Which I have.  Besides the jitter inherent in optical would that degrade the audio worse than the hum?

May 12, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #11,777 of 13,350

Optical is not available unless I use a coax->optical converter.  Which I have.  Besides the jitter inherent in optical would that degrade the audio worse than the hum?

If it removes the hum, go with it. I don't claim to have golden ears, but I've never heard a difference between optical and coax. While jitter can be measured, the differences in them cannot be discerned by the human ear. Anyone that claims they can hear the difference is just making it up. Trust me. I am using optical to feed my MB Gungnir (Gumby). Works great.

Also, before USB improved in recent DACs, it was very common for people to use USB to optical converters. No one complained about those. They also work great. 

May 12, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #11,778 of 13,350
  If it removes the hum, go with it. I don't claim to have golden ears, but I've never heard a difference between optical and coax.

If I disconnect the coax (not connecting the optical yet) the hum remains.  Doesn't that suggest that the hum originates in the Uberfrost?

May 12, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #11,779 of 13,350
  If I disconnect the coax (not connecting the optical yet) the hum remains.  Doesn't that suggest that the hum originates in the Uberfrost?

How loud is the hum? It sounds like it's ground looping. Can you try feeding it into another amp?

May 12, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #11,780 of 13,350
Have you considered trying a ground loop isolator to see if that resolves the issue?

May 12, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #11,781 of 13,350
I am new to the audiophile world, but my friend owns a pair of Hifiman HE-500's and I am about to become the owner of a pair of      HE-400's and is using a Schiit dac and amp and they sound amazing. What amp/dac combo would you all recommend buying from this company? I listen to mostly electronic music and do not have thousands of dollars to spend but I will put down good money for a quality product.

May 12, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #11,782 of 13,350
  Have you considered trying a ground loop isolator to see if that resolves the issue?

I cut the ground off another power cord and that did not eliminate the hum.  It wasn't an expensive one :wink:

How loud is the hum? It sounds like it's ground looping. Can you try feeding it into another amp?

I can hear it from 10' away when the room is quiet.  If the room is noisy I can hear it from 1.5 - 2 ft away.  It's not a steady hum like if one were to touch the end of the RCA but similar in tone to that.  It's a little bit static-y.  I'm using speakers not phones so another amp is difficult to come by.

Maybe I should make a recording of it.

May 12, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #11,783 of 13,350

I cut the ground off another power cord and that did not eliminate the hum.  It wasn't an expensive one :wink:

Thats not what I meant by a Ground Loop Isolator, these are what I was talking about.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ground+loop+isolator&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRpu3T_dXMAhULkx4KHf54B1gQ_AUICSgD&biw=1680&bih=955

May 12, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #11,784 of 13,350

Thats not what I meant by a Ground Loop Isolator, these are what I was talking about.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ground+loop+isolator&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRpu3T_dXMAhULkx4KHf54B1gQ_AUICSgD&biw=1680&bih=955

Is there one you can recommend?  I'm willing to try one for what those appear to cost.

May 13, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #11,786 of 13,350
Which amp responds better to tube rolling. The lyr 2 or the Valhalla 2? I'm looking for something to compliment my asgard 2 and I love glass, so I figured let's go tubes. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Valhalla 2, but I keep getting conflicting reports on how it sounds. I may just have to try for myself.

Don't have experience with Valhalla 2, but Lyr 2 responds pretty good to tube rolling and works very well with lot of headphones.

It's incredible pairing with HD650 !

May 14, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #11,788 of 13,350
May 14, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #11,789 of 13,350

Networkn - I see sheldaze posted the links for you.

I did this as well. And I am very non technical. 

I wrote to Schiit asking if they had directions and got a curt response that they don't provide them as one needs to be an expert technician. 

Well, here is what I think of that: ROFLMAO

If this needs an expert tech, then I am the god of all techs. Since we know I am not, it also invalidates their assertion. 

I had an expert tech with me, in case I needed him. I didn't. The board change is literally unplugging and replugging the new one. No cables, no fuss, no muss.

I would have had it completely done in 2 minutes but there are so many screws. So it took about 5 minutes to unscrew and rescrew everything.

Just be careful you are grounded and have no static electricity.

A 5 year old could do this. :)

May 14, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #11,790 of 13,350
  Networkn - I see sheldaze posted the links for you.

I did this as well. And I am very non technical. 

I wrote to Schiit asking if they had directions and got a curt response that they don't provide them as one needs to be an expert technician. 

Well, here is what I think of that: ROFLMAO

If this needs an expert tech, then I am the god of all techs. Since we know I am not, it also invalidates their assertion. 

I had an expert tech with me, in case I needed him. I didn't. The board change is literally unplugging and replugging the new one. No cables, no fuss, no muss.

I would have had it completely done in 2 minutes but there are so many screws. So it took about 5 minutes to unscrew and rescrew everything.

Just be careful you are grounded and have no static electricity.

A 5 year old could do this. :)

It's to protect their liability, I feel like that's pretty obvious. If they told someone a 5 year old could do it and someone messed up, they are going to be an angry customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back