Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 27, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #5,147 of 13,350
I have a question about my valhalla , have any of you noticed a slight hum from the tubes not through the headphones but from the tubes themselves. The reason I ask is because it doesn't always happen some days it's quiet and others it hums volume to time the amp is on has no effect. Other than that the amp sounds great hum or not and I can't hear it with phones on.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #5,148 of 13,350
Apr 27, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #5,150 of 13,350
  Getting the urge to upgrade my Little Dot Mk 3. Was thinking either a Vali or a Valhalla. Have any of you had to chance to listen to a Mk3 and either of those amps? I am thinking probably Valhalla as it is a very similar amp to the Mk 3 in design and everything.

If I'm not mistaken the Little Dot Mk 4 and Mk 4 SE are the ones on the same league that the Valhalla. Can't tell about the differences since I've never heard a little dot amp.

What cans are you planning to use? Both Valhalla and LD MK IV are aimed to high impedance cans.

An all-in-one solution would be something hybrid like the Schiit Lyr . Vali is also hybrid but it's on a totally different league, and changing the tubes when they die will be a PITA, IMHO.

From what I know Asgard matches really well with low impedance cans such as Grados.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #5,152 of 13,350
Thanks for the link Byronb alot of good info about tubes. So far I've been using the gungnir-valhalla-hd650 combo for about a month and it sounds great so tonight I hooked up my vali to my gungnir for the first time (was using modi-vali before I bought the gungnir-valhalla) and although I thought the vali was better out of the gungnir than the modi it still wasn't as good as the modi-valhalla for my hd 650s . As far as the gungnir goes it was a noticeable improvement over the modi but the modi-valhalla is a good starting point for any hd-650 owners not looking to spend too much.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #5,153 of 13,350
Indeed the Valhalla is a wonderful amp.

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #5,156 of 13,350
My Lyr arrived today and I have to say first impressions are very good, using my AT A900Xs on it until my Alpha Dogs arrive tomorrow and it already sounds great with these HPs.

Quite happy
dt880smile.png

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #5,157 of 13,350
  Getting the urge to upgrade my Little Dot Mk 3. Was thinking either a Vali or a Valhalla. Have any of you had to chance to listen to a Mk3 and either of those amps? I am thinking probably Valhalla as it is a very similar amp to the Mk 3 in design and everything.

The LD Mk 3 uses different tubes from the Valhalla. I have the Mk 3 with my HD600/800 but have not heard the Valhalla with either of my cans. Thus far, for the price, i find the LD to be quite an enjoyable listen with punchy sound and sweet mids. And tube rolling is a joy with lots of good support/examples in the Little Dot Tube Rolling thread. It is powerful enough to drive my HD800 as well.

Having said that, the Vali is a more versatile amp, able to power most low and high impedance headphones. I use it with my HD800 as well, to great effect. Very musical although (depending on the source) the dynamics can feel a little compressed. With my main rig i.e. analog front end of basic Project RPM1.3 TT and DIY phono stage, the sound reproduced is pretty robust. Similarly with my Unison Research tubed CDP. However, when played on my desktop rig i.e. Acer laptop via Modi into the Vali, it may sound a little lean (on the HD800) but that could be also due to the recording itself. All in all, the Vali provides a musically satisfying listen and with that kinda pricing, you can't go wrong.

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #5,159 of 13,350
I owned the Lyr for a bit and tried the Violectric at a show a few times, but I prefer the Lyr out of the two for LCD2s (which I used with my Lyr). They were practically designed to be used with Audez'e. I also preferred the tube rolling capabilities to customize the sound to my liking.

On another note (hoping Jason will chime in here if it will), I would like to buy the Valhalla for my desktop at home, but the only thing preventing me from doing so is a lack of preamp outputs, because I would like to run it to my power amp to power my desktop speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back