Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #3,901 of 13,350
I tried both hi and low at different settings. Line out 1 jack is being used. I tried every combination I could think of between the media player/Z out and Asgard volume control. I'm still having a hard time deciding what mix sounds the best, I guess it all sounds relative. I'm using media monkey, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by playback setting but in the Z control panel its set to stereo.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #3,902 of 13,350

My guess is you need to put a DAC in there, between the Sound Blaster and the Asgard. Should make a world of difference.

I went through the same thing, trying to go computer/cd player to amp and the sound was awful. Flat, 2D, boring. Adding the Dac-It to my chain is when I started getting that amazing, big 3D soundstage.

Thats exactly it, the power is there but it still sounds 2d flat and boring.. I was thinking DAC as well and thats absolutely fine(my wallet says otherwise)! If I could go back I never would have bought the Z but hey you gotta start somewhere. This weekend I will be able to hook it up to my dads audio engine D1 and then I can also test it side by side with the V-Can II.

I don't have a lot of experience with amps, could this simply be a case of different sound signature?

Edit: Ok... definitely need a DAC upgrade! Just realized I still had this Fiio E10 sitting around. Even using the E10 is a massive improvement.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #3,904 of 13,350
I can tell you that moving up from the E10 will net another massive improvement (it's not a very impressive DAC).

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #3,906 of 13,350
Yea +1 on the DAC need for your setup. Sound Blaster = Mobo sound... You could have a KILLER amp and the idea is the same "garbage in garbage out". Does the e10 have a line out that you can use to feed the Asgard 2?

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #3,907 of 13,350
Quote:
  Hey guys so I just received my Asgard 2 tonight.  WOW all I can say is how underwhelming
confused.gif
I'm actually beginning to wonder if my unit is damaged.

My setup: Sounder blaster Z/Asgard 2/DT990 Pro 250ohm. Running a 3.5mm Y adapter off my Z(just like I did with my V-Can)

My guess is you need to put a DAC in there, between the Sound Blaster and the Asgard. Should make a world of difference.

I would skip the sound card entirely, and just get a nice DAC. Why? Well, honestly, I just don't think a $90 dollar sound card is going to be good for much. I guess if you want to use it to power some cheap desktop speakers, to play games with. Sure. But if you're going to invest in quality audio, then a link in the chain like a cheap sound card is going to cripple the sound. Just my personal opinion.

There is a possibility that your A2 has issues. But from what I've seen of Schiit gear, it is built like a tank, and sounds great. So I would consider other options.

At the very least, I would recommend a Schiit Modi DAC. It's $99 bucks, and is awfully damn good for what it is. Well, ok, if you want to spend $500 bucks on a DAC, then I would go with the Bifrost Uber
biggrin.gif
But you really can't go wrong with a Modi. At the very least, it would allow you to try a nice source component, and test what your setup sounds like, without the sound card inline.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #3,908 of 13,350
Well the official verdict will be out Sunday when I demo it with my dads audio engine D1. At this point I believe the unit will be going back to Schiit... I would try to sell locally, but I cannot get rid of the scratchy interference noise which is audible even over my music. I would rather not pass this amp on to someone else.

The AS2 honestly feels way to harsh for my DT990s, after 10minutes I want to take my headphones off. I thought this amp was suppose to pair well with the beyers? I've actually bypassed the AS2 this morning because the sound is just way to harsh for me. Would a nice DAC warm this up? I would rather not spend hundreds making this amp work when I was beyond happy with a much cheaper setup prior
beyersmile.png
. Oh well win some lose some.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #3,909 of 13,350
  Well the official verdict will be out Sunday when I demo it with my dads audio engine D1. At this point I believe the unit will be going back to Schiit... I would try to sell locally, but I cannot get rid of the scratchy interference noise which is audible even over my music. I would rather not pass this amp on to someone else.

The AS2 honestly feels way to harsh for my DT990s, after 10minutes I want to take my headphones off. I thought this amp was suppose to pair well with the beyers? I've actually bypassed the AS2 this morning because the sound is just way to harsh for me. Would a nice DAC warm this up? I would rather not spend hundreds making this amp work when I was beyond happy with a much cheaper setup prior
beyersmile.png
. Oh well win some lose some.

Sounds like noise coming from the computer. The amplifier may be receiving that sound and,well, amplifying it. I get that a bit when I use my computer as a source, even through my DAC. Sometimes that calms me down, listening to my internal computer noise on HD800's through my DAC/amp. But my suspicion is you will continue to hear this regardless of which amp you use.

And the harshness may be jitter. If the card is doing the digital to analogue conversion, this wouldn't surprise me one bit. Basically jitter makes audio sounds harsh, distorted and well, digital. Just saying, you'll probably discover you'll have problems with a lot of amps in that configuration, not just the Asgard.

You can tell I once had my fill of using a soundcard to do the digital to analogue conversion. Was not pretty.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #3,910 of 13,350
Unless there is truely something wrong with the Asgard 2. It should not be sounding as bad as you describe... only explanation I can think of right now is that it's essentially amplifying all the crap and interference that your on-board sound card normally has. A proper good amp just brings more of your source into the light making it clear if you really have a poor source.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #3,911 of 13,350

And the harshness may be jitter. If the card is doing the digital to analogue conversion, this wouldn't surprise me one bit. Basically jitter makes audio sounds harsh, distorted and well, digital. Just saying, you'll probably discover you'll have problems with a lot of amps in that configuration, not just the Asgard.

You can tell I once had my fill of using a soundcard to do the digital to analogue conversion. Was not pretty.

Any tips on getting rid of this interference? I'm beginning to think this is the reason for my troubles.. The sound is very fuzzy/congested. I also have a Fiio E10 that sounds exactly the same as my sound card. The noise doesn't change when I move my mouse or scroll up or down like I've experienced with other systems.

I've been following posts by tdockweiler in the Asgard 2 thread, his complaints seem to be exactly the same as mine. After two days he ended up sending it back to Schiit and they said it was 100% fine. A hum X and $50 cables is out of the question, I'm not a fan of throwing money at something to make it work properly. I think the issue is with the wiring in my apartment or this amp just isn't for my ears.

The best way I can explain is, It feels like I'm listening with a really bad hangover!! haha.

Sorry for all the posts... this is driving me mad!!

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #3,912 of 13,350
Do you have a different source you could try? even a phone, tablet, CD player, or DAP to see if it is your computer or the wiring in your apartment?  Before sending it back I would isolate the issue, this will help you decide if its worth trying again or if you need to wait till you have better infrastructure and source.

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #3,913 of 13,350
  Quote:

I would skip the sound card entirely, and just get a nice DAC. Why? Well, honestly, I just don't think a $90 dollar sound card is going to be good for much. I guess if you want to use it to power some cheap desktop speakers, to play games with. Sure. But if you're going to invest in quality audio, then a link in the chain like a cheap sound card is going to cripple the sound. Just my personal opinion.

+1

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #3,914 of 13,350
Ok using my cellphone I managed to remove the scratchy noise, but I still have a buzz after 60% volume, could this just be the threshold for my headphones? Too much power? Playing with the EQ in media monkey I have managed to tighten the bass a bit and remove some of the harshness by setting it to rock which looks like a U in the graphic EQ. Maybe its time to do some research into understanding EQ. In the past I've always preferred no EQ changes with these headphones.

I just don't understand, my V-Can II sounded perfect listening to all types of music using this same hardware setup with 0 EQ changes. No matter what I do I can't manage the tight bass impact, clear highs and the sound stage like I had with that setup. My AS2 just sounds thin and sloppy.

I think I may have just struck gold with my old setup
frown.gif
  I really really want to like my new Schiit.

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #3,915 of 13,350
I'm some problems with static.  If the source is silent and I touch the chassis of the Bifrost or the chasis of the Valhalla - I get static through the headphones.  I noticed this first when my headphone cables were draped over my computer monitor.  I thought the monitor was the source of the interference.  I moved the head phone cables out of the way and touched the amp - static.

So do I have a ground problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back