Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #2,386 of 13,350
I feel a little silly having missed it, but it sure sounds like Ragnarok actually powers speakers.  Whoa.  And plenty of wattage for a small to medium sized room!  800mW into 600 ohms is crazy, too.  That's basically double Mjolnir.  It's like monoblocks for your head.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #2,387 of 13,350
Well. My current amp does about 12.5 Watts into 32ohms and my HE-500 has never sounded better. This coming from a previous Lyr owner. There isn't even a noise floor on the HE-500, dead silent unless I have the volumed turned to max. The dynamics are insane. With less powerful amps I was constantly turning up the volume to hear all the dynamics, but with this much power, low volume listening is just as enjoyable. I guess the Rag will give me another 2.5 Watts and I'm thinking more transperency. But yeah, all that power really helps Orthos sing their very best IMO. I believe the Cavalli Liquid Gold does 9 Watts into 50R, and I hear that's the greatest amp ever for Orthos. So I think the Schiit Statement stuff is going to change a lot of people's minds about power.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #2,388 of 13,350
Quote:
Well. My current amp does about 12.5 Watts into 32ohms and my HE-500 has never sounded better. This coming from a previous Lyr owner. There isn't even a noise floor on the HE-500, dead silent unless I have the volumed turned to max. The dynamics are insane. With less powerful amps I was constantly turning up the volume to hear all the dynamics, but with this much power, low volume listening is just as enjoyable. I guess the Rag will give me another 2.5 Watts and I'm thinking more transperency. But yeah, all that power really helps Orthos sing their very best IMO. I believe the Cavalli Liquid Gold does 9 Watts into 50R, and I hear that's the greatest amp ever for Orthos. So I think the Schiit Statement stuff is going to change a lot of people's minds about power.

True. With all the speaker amps I have tried them with, the best using them with planars is that even at low volumes, you still manage to get good bass. Much better for the ears in the long run.

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #2,389 of 13,350
Yggdrasil 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #2,390 of 13,350
Quote:
I feel a little silly having missed it, but it sure sounds like Ragnarok actually powers speakers.  Whoa.  And plenty of wattage for a small to medium sized room!  800mW into 600 ohms is crazy, too.  That's basically double Mjolnir.  It's like monoblocks for your head.

Are you thinking it is meant to work like an amp in speaker system as well as powering HP's?

I only ask, because I'm beginning to look at integrated amps to replace a receiver for my stereo speaker system to use in conjunction with a dedicated HP rig. And, I'm also looking at DAC possibilites for both applications.

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #2,391 of 13,350
Quote:
Are you thinking it is meant to work like an amp in speaker system as well as powering HP's? I only ask, because I'm beginning to look at integrated amps to replace a receiver for my stereo to use in conjunction with a dedicated HP rig.

That's why Ragnarok has speaker terminals. So yes.

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #2,392 of 13,350
Quote:
Are you thinking it is meant to work like an amp in speaker system as well as powering HP's?

I only ask, because I'm beginning to look at integrated amps to replace a receiver for my stereo speaker system to use in conjunction with a dedicated HP rig. And, I'm also looking at DAC possibilites for both applications.

Yup.
"Outputs: speaker terminals, 4-pin balanced XLR headphone, TRS 
unbalanced headphone, balanced and unbalanced preamp outs"

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #2,393 of 13,350

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,395 of 13,350
I am also looking to solve my issue with this, which is driving a pair of bookshelves. Something like the B&W 685. I was initially thinking of getting a Rotel power amp, to pair with the Lyr as pre-amp, but eventually realized its too much of gear to have, as I am a student on the move.

This fits the bill perfectly.

Im wondering though, if Ragnarok has enough power into 8 ohms to fully push the 88 dB 685s... is it like 60 W into 8 ohms? Is that enough? B&W says between 25 and 100 W is sufficient.. 

I get different opinions.. some saying that even a 100 is not enough, apparently its better to have headroom, than not drive them well. Some say thats a total exaggeration.. I guess 60 W is fine?

Thanks

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #2,396 of 13,350
Quote:

LOL

There is no reason why they can't have a product called Thor or Odin. There is no "rule" to product naming, perhaps except that it has to come from norse mythology. Plus I was just poking fun and you spit out a very serious answer, so I hate you now Anathallo.

Actually I never thought my response would be taken seriously - especially because of Magni/Modi.  Shows how well humour is reflected in text.

I hate you more.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #2,398 of 13,350
Quote:

LOL

There is no reason why they can't have a product called Thor or Odin. There is no "rule" to product naming, perhaps except that it has to come from norse mythology. Plus I was just poking fun and you spit out a very serious answer, so I hate you now Anathallo.

Thor - New Bookshelf Speaker
Odin - Statement Floorstanding Speaker

Hear Thor sings and Odin rumbles

BTW naming your amp Ragnarok is super awesome !

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #2,399 of 13,350
Quote:

Thor - New Bookshelf Speaker
Odin - Statement Floorstanding Speaker

Hear Thor sings and Odin rumbles

BTW naming your amp Ragnarok is super awesome !

As cool as Thor and Odin would be, they already said... these are their "Statement" products... aka Flagship, as well they said pretty clearly no transducers
rolleyes.gif
too bad though
wink.gif
I'm sure they would of been the Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back