Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 13, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #13,336 of 13,350
Ok, I just got some adaptors from Garage 1217 which are way nicer than anything you can get on ebay and not much more expensive, so I'm gonna try them.

So aside from the WE396As, which would legit cost more than I paid for the amp and I am just not going to do that. What are some relatively inexpensive 5670s I can try? The Philips JAN 6922s I'm using right now do sound pretty decent though, definitely a good improvement over the stock ones for me at least.
For longevity and sound quality, I would suggest General Electric 5670 5-Star at a 'reasonable' cost. I don't know what they cost nowadays as I bought a small stock some 5 years ago. They were manufactured to exacting specifications and should last many 1000's of hours. I've used them in a MJOLNIR 2 for some years with no problems.

NOTE: These do need adapters

Nov 14, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #13,337 of 13,350
Ok, I just got some adaptors from Garage 1217 which are way nicer than anything you can get on ebay and not much more expensive, so I'm gonna try them.

So aside from the WE396As, which would legit cost more than I paid for the amp and I am just not going to do that. What are some relatively inexpensive 5670s I can try? The Philips JAN 6922s I'm using right now do sound pretty decent though, definitely a good improvement over the stock ones for me at least.
GE JAN and 5-Star are both good. Just got a couple RCAs for Vali 2 or 2++ that I need to listen to more than just to verify good sound. 6N3Ps can be quite surprisingly good as well. The one I got crom Schiit with Val 2++ is absolutely dynamite. I have several others that are fine, but this one is a prodigy.

TY 4 the tip on the Garage 1217 adapters. The nice thing is that they work both ways, too!

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #13,338 of 13,350
It will be interesting to see how some 5670s sound because I just put these Vokshod Rocket 6N1Ps, not sure if they are THE Vokshod rockets or not, and they actually sound really good with the stock back tubes. I tried the new backs, 6n6p, I got from Viva and it didn't sound as good. Put the stock 6n6ps back and great again.

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #13,339 of 13,350
I got a black Midgard last Friday which I've been enjoying immensely. However yesterday I noticed the powder coat job on the top of the chassis has a little bit of pitting and some bump inconsistent areas one one side. It's purely cosmetic and is only really noticable at certain angles but it still bothers me. I've been considering getting them to exchange it for another unit, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort and money to ship it back.

So a few questions for you in the know:
- Is this common for Schiit products?
- What have all your experiences been with Schiit QC?
- Do you think it's worth the effort to go through with an exchange for some minor cosmetic issues?

I just want to get some 3rd party thoughts before I spiral down this too far.

Nov 17, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #13,340 of 13,350
- Do you think it's worth the effort to go through with an exchange for some minor cosmetic issues?
Cosmetic issues crop up once in a while. Only you can know whether it meets your threshold.
In almost every case, once pictures are posted, the majority have said, "I don't see it."

Nov 18, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #13,341 of 13,350
Haha yeaaaah, well I just took photos out of curiosity and you can't really see it, sort of looks like some very slight bumps. I am otherwise very pleased with the amp, so I think I'll likely keep it. Based on other reports of Schiits poor QC I'm more concerned I'd get a replacement unit that has something else wrong with it other than some barely noticeable powder coat issues. All this is to say, I'm very much overthinking this because I'm neurotic perfectionist sometimes and its a new toy and I like my new toys to be... well... "perfect". Which is a rare occurrence, and frequently a moving target.

Here are the photos I took to illustrate further, its difficult to see in the photo, more noticeable in person but still. Its in the bottom left corner sort of near the edge where it looks bumpy:

PXL_20231118_064620113.jpg

PXL_20231118_064758486.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #13,342 of 13,350
... neurotic perfectionist sometimes and its a new toy and I like my new toys to be... well... "perfect". ...

Here are the photos I took to illustrate further, its difficult to see in the photo, more noticeable in person but still. Its in the bottom left corner sort of near the edge where it looks bumpy: ...
Can you see it or is it that you can feel it?

This hobby encourages a certain level of perfectionism :) I try to keep in mind the quality of comparably priced goods.

You can bet when I drop a zillion dollars on an audio device it darn well better be perfect :)

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #13,343 of 13,350
I can both see and feel it, but it's not super visible unless you look for it. I do think Schiit needs to cut costs somewhere, but I do like the outside of my devices to be perfect when I get them. My Modius doesn't have this issue at all, perfect powder coat it is a slightly different color than the Midgard though, and the silkscreen ink color is noticably different. I'm kinda chalking it up to a QC issue so not sure if I'd get something better if I try to exchange. I have until next Friday to decide. But really until Wednesday because of Thanksgiving/day after Thanksgiving holidays.

I also find myself wondering if they will deny my request based on the images above.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #13,344 of 13,350
Haha yeaaaah, well I just took photos out of curiosity and you can't really see it, sort of looks like some very slight bumps. I am otherwise very pleased with the amp, so I think I'll likely keep it. Based on other reports of Schiits poor QC I'm more concerned I'd get a replacement unit that has something else wrong with it other than some barely noticeable powder coat issues. All this is to say, I'm very much overthinking this because I'm neurotic perfectionist sometimes and its a new toy and I like my new toys to be... well... "perfect". Which is a rare occurrence, and frequently a moving target.

Here are the photos I took to illustrate further, its difficult to see in the photo, more noticeable in person but still. Its in the bottom left corner sort of near the edge where it looks bumpy:

PXL_20231118_064620113.jpg

PXL_20231118_064758486.jpg
That is fine. AFAIK these covers are painted.

Nov 19, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #13,345 of 13,350
Its powder coat, so sort of like paint. They coat the metal with powder then bake it in an oven so it melts across the surface. Its a fairly minor flaw, but I'm still weighing if I want to try to exchange it for another unit.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #13,346 of 13,350
I can both see and feel it, but it's not super visible unless you look for it. I do think Schiit needs to cut costs somewhere, but I do like the outside of my devices to be perfect when I get them. My Modius doesn't have this issue at all, perfect powder coat it is a slightly different color than the Midgard though, and the silkscreen ink color is noticably different. I'm kinda chalking it up to a QC issue so not sure if I'd get something better if I try to exchange. I have until next Friday to decide. But really until Wednesday because of Thanksgiving/day after Thanksgiving holidays.

I also find myself wondering if they will deny my request based on the images above.
Powder coat isn’t an exact kind of thing, as I think you know. But as you can’t unsee that, ask the question.

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #13,347 of 13,350
Yeah I'm quite familiar with it, I use it on projects at work all the time. I reached out to Schiit. We'll see what they say...

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #13,348 of 13,350
I just wanted to follow up on this. I ended up sending it back for a replacement and just got it back today. They said after looking as other Midgards that the irregularities in the powdercoat were consistent with other units they had at the shop. That said the replacement unit I got back is perfect. All in all I am very happy and got excellent customer service for and admittedly very neurotic complaint. I'm giving Schiit an A+ for help and customer service.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #13,349 of 13,350
I just wanted to follow up on this. I ended up sending it back for a replacement and just got it back today. They said after looking as other Midgards that the irregularities in the powdercoat were consistent with other units they had at the shop. That said the replacement unit I got back is perfect. All in all I am very happy and got excellent customer service for and admittedly very neurotic complaint. I'm giving Schiit an A+ for help and customer service.
Glad to hear! now enjoy the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back