Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Apr 20, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #737 of 941
Order Status: Modius Backordered, Ships May 31st

RIP, the wait continues!
Yes, in fact, that’s what I was told too. In another topic, maybe the Jotunheim one, somebody mentioned that if you order a DAC and an amp, they don’t hold on to the other thing if they have it in hand, while waiting for the first. My order is for a Modius and a Vali 2+, which is also backordered. So I will essentially be hoping for the two stars to line up perfectly. Quite possibly, at the end of May, they won’t have the Vali 2+.

But for me in Europe, there is a 50 Dollar shipping fee, and a fixed 20 Euro fee to even calculate the tax, so canceling the order and creating two separate ones, it’s not ideal either.

I am happy this is nothing important.

Maybe Schiit Europe will get some stock. They said « in April ». But it will probably only be boring stuff like a Magni and a Modi. Ten days left in April. I will wait to see what happens.

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #738 of 941
What do you think about the Jotunheim? Aside from the power increase and the sound getting just a little bit (and I mean liiiiiiiittle) tidied up I wasn't a big fan of the 789 like everyone else, it just felt colorless and my Magni seemed to have more life to it.
They are completely different sound. And not at the same level of performance either, despite some reviewers' claims. I think the 789 is the minimum benchmark before people starts jumping into expensive amps in this hobby (People tend to do that). But the Jot 2 can't be compared with it (or Topping, Gustard, etc).

The Jot 2 has rounder transients and deliver music in a very different way. Its technicalities overall is much higher; some of it even higher than much much more expensive amps. It is more dynamic and bring out subtle details the way the 789 simply can't. If the 789 is flat and lifeless; then the Jot 2 would be enganging and emotional. But synergy is very important. Jot 2 will not cut through veils. It is more rounder and heavier. I think a lot of people are not familiar with this type of delivery yet, and need to get accustomed to it in order to compare it with other amps.

Modius and Jot 2 really becomes the relavant minimum benchmark for most people in this hobby imo. They sound stupidly good together for only $600. Modius is already causing me to really question buying expensive D/S Dacs.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #739 of 941
They are completely different sound. And not at the same level of performance either, despite some reviewers' claims. I think the 789 is the minimum benchmark before people starts jumping into expensive amps in this hobby (People tend to do that). But the Jot 2 can't be compared with it (or Topping, Gustard, etc).

Modius and Jot 2 really becomes the relavant minimum benchmark for most people in this hobby imo. They sound stupidly good together for only $600. Modius is already causing me to really question buying expensive D/S Dacs.
He wasn't comparing the Jot to the 789, he was comparing the Magni to the 789.

I disagree with your statement that the 789 and Modius are any sort of minimum standard. The Magni 3 and Modi 3 do a great job together, stunning value. There are dozens of other ways to build a high performing system that will keep you happily engaged for less than $600.

Sure, the Modius is amazing value, but would not replace the expensive D/S DAC in my audio system.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #740 of 941
He wasn't comparing the Jot to the 789, he was comparing the Magni to the 789.

I disagree with your statement that the 789 and Modius are any sort of minimum standard. The Magni 3 and Modi 3 do a great job together, stunning value. There are dozens of other ways to build a high performing system that will keep you happily engaged for less than $600.

Sure, the Modius is amazing value, but would not replace the expensive D/S DAC in my audio system.
Thanks for pointing that out. Just realized that post was last year too haha. Then consider my post as a comparison between Jot 2 and 789.

I used the 789 in the past as a benchmark. Schiit has raised the bar quite high with the Jot 2.

What I mean by minimum benchmark is that more expensive system would need to beat it first. I found quite a few really expensive gears that were not worth their price tags. That's why I use a minimum benchmark for myself. If you can find a system costing less than USD600, then even better for you. I haven't heard the Magni.

I was referring to the D/S dacs that I have tried/owned. The price difference is just too large for that incremental SQ difference. Your D/S Dac could be better than the ones I know. Haven't tried all D/S dacs out there. But the Modius would be my benchmark for value for D/S dacs from now.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #741 of 941
The Modius page says "SHIPS IN 6-8 WEEKS.". Is this due to the AK4493 chip shortage, and will return, or is this because a Modius 2 with ESS DAC chip will be released in a couple of months?

May 28, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #742 of 941
The Modius page says "SHIPS IN 6-8 WEEKS.". Is this due to the AK4493 chip shortage, and will return, or is this because a Modius 2 with ESS DAC chip will be released in a couple of months?
They said they have enough AKM chips for a while. This must be due to other part shortages.

May 28, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #743 of 941
I don't get why so many companies completely ignore the CS43198. It's a great chip from a reputable company that features very low power draw and a set of very nice filters. These days it's either AKM or ESS.

May 28, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #744 of 941
I don't get why so many companies completely ignore the CS43198. It's a great chip from a reputable company that features very low power draw and a set of very nice filters. These days it's either AKM or ESS.
That is called marketing.
It's not a coincidence that the brand and the model of the chip is stated at the top of the product page for every DAC in big fonts.... those names sell although every informed person knows that just the chip itself means nothing for the actual quality of the unit and what comes out of its analog circuit.

You can actually see this in this thread.
The title of this thread includes the brand and model of the chip used in the Modius.. marketing and false believes. It's and AK4493 so it sounds automatically better then an AK4490 DAC and automatically worse then a AK4497 DAC which sound automatically worse then an AK4499 DAC. All complete nonsense!
But this is sadly how it works for the majority of the market who is looking for a new DAC and companies know that and use that. Community isn't helping either by keep spreading this nonsense around to everyone willing to listen.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #745 of 941
That is called marketing.
It's not a coincidence that the brand and the model of the chip is stated at the top of the product page for every DAC in big fonts.... those names sell although every informed person knows that just the chip itself means nothing for the actual quality of the unit and what comes out of its analog circuit.

You can actually see this in this thread.
The title of this thread includes the brand and model of the chip used in the Modius.. marketing and false believes. It's and AK4493 so it sounds automatically better then an AK4490 DAC and automatically worse then a AK4497 DAC which sound automatically worse then an AK4499 DAC. All complete nonsense!
But this is sadly how it works for the majority of the market who is looking for a new DAC and companies know that and use that. Community isn't helping either by keep spreading this nonsense around to everyone willing to listen.
I wish more companies would use the Burr-Brown PCM179x family of chips. They are hybrid and use a ladder for the most significant bits. And, they're actually made for audio instead of ramrodding audio through a chip not made for audio.

May 28, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #746 of 941
My original Sony "ES" CD player used Burr-Brown chips and was a significantly better sounding unit than anything else at the time. These days, the economics and marketing have really changed a lot of the audio world and not necessarily for the better either.

Jun 3, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #748 of 941
My original Sony "ES" CD player used Burr-Brown chips and was a significantly better sounding unit than anything else at the time. These days, the economics and marketing have really changed a lot of the audio world and not necessarily for the better either.
I wish more companies would use the Burr-Brown PCM179x family of chips. They are hybrid and use a ladder for the most significant bits. And, they're actually made for audio instead of ramrodding audio through a chip not made for audio.

My iFi iOne has a Burr-Brown chip and sounds significantly dirtier than my Modi. I can't tolerate the iOne in my headphone system. It does OK in my secondary speaker system but as soon as the Modius arrives, the Modi will move back to its rightful place in the secondary speaker system and the iOne will go back in the drawer.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #749 of 941
"Thank you for your order from Schiit Audio. We wanted to let you know that your order was shipped"

I placed the order yesterday. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #750 of 941
My iFi iOne has a Burr-Brown chip and sounds significantly dirtier than my Modi. I can't tolerate the iOne in my headphone system. It does OK in my secondary speaker system but as soon as the Modius arrives, the Modi will move back to its rightful place in the secondary speaker system and the iOne will go back in the drawer.
The problem isn't the Burr-Brown. The problem is it's a $200 iFi product. Maybe that's what you're implying based on how the thread has been developing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back