Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Aug 6, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #526 of 941
Anybody tried Modius with SMSL SP200 amp? If so, how will be this combination sound? Sundara is my headphone. Will this combo be harsh or warm?

Aug 6, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #527 of 941
What cans are you using with your Asgard / Modius stack?

Focal Elex, Focal Elegia, Sennheiser HD660S, Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro. They all sound good on both systems. I prefer transparent systems that don’t color the source.

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #528 of 941
Quick question for you Modius owners:
Do the mounting screws on the bottom protrude outside of the case on your unit? It looks so unfinished on my unit.

Aug 6, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #530 of 941
My screws are inside the recessed divots too, but poking thru. A strange way to mount it, but I guess keeps them from using PIM nuts.

Hey, if you want a nice test track for your setup try:
Tempo by Donati from the Lounge Chill Out Sounds Album.

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #531 of 941
I've spent more time with the Modius and can report that using the XLR outs and a THX AAA 789 the sound is very transparent, punchy, and clean. No signs of distortion, clicking, or artifacts.

I must say the input selector switch on the Modius has got to be the cheapest feeling button I've ever felt on anything. It's loose and sounds so cheaply implemented. I wish it had some spring to it so it didn't feel this way, but time will tell if this is a point of failure.

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #532 of 941
the silver button of the input selector is probably freely floating between the front panel and the switch housing, hence the loose feeling. Bifrost OG's are built this way. in my experience, the pcb-mount enclosed membrane switches are pretty reliable. there is a two year warranty from Schiit if anything goes wrong. plus maybe another year or two extended warranty provided by some credit cards. by then, you'll want the latest and greatest available.

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #533 of 941
I've spent more time with the Modius and can report that using the XLR outs and a THX AAA 789 the sound is very transparent, punchy, and clean. No signs of distortion, clicking, or artifacts.

I must say the input selector switch on the Modius has got to be the cheapest feeling button I've ever felt on anything. It's loose and sounds so cheaply implemented. I wish it had some spring to it so it didn't feel this way, but time will tell if this is a point of failure.

Great to hear! I'm about to pick up a 789 at the end of the week and was curious about it's synergy with the Modius.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #535 of 941
I must say the input selector switch on the Modius has got to be the cheapest feeling button I've ever felt on anything.

I'm fairly sensitive to build quality (I'm a car/watch guy) and I'm not one who loves the Schiit casework to begin with (black is best), but for me the Modius is a step up in build quality from my 3 year old Jot and I don't notice any problems with my selector switch - it's not loose and detent, tactility, and overall feel/function seems fine, especially for a $200 DAC. Personally it's not even something I notice and wouldn't expect more until I was north of $2k, though obviously just my 2 cents. Plus, for me, it's a set it and forget it button after testing.

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #536 of 941
@Jason Stoddard

I noticed on the Modius I have, after I unplug it for a while and then plug it back in, even if I'm on the Optical Input, I have to cycle the input switch to "wake up" the connection. My PC recognized the optical output, but nothing would come thru to my amp. After I cycled the input selector it works. Might want to keep an eye out for this as it is a little bothersome, nothing major of course, but inconvenient.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #537 of 941
@Jason Stoddard

I noticed on the Modius I have that after I unplug it for a while and then plug it back in, even if I'm on the Optical Input, I have to cycle the input switch to "wake up" the connection. My PC recognized the optical output, but nothing would come thru to my amp. After I cycled the input selector it works. Might want to keep an eye out for this as it is a little bothersome, nothing major of course, but inconvenient.

does your modius do this if powered from the included wall wart, or just when plugged into the pc?

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #538 of 941
Powered externally. My PC does go thru a sleep cycle so perhaps the optical output is not waking up, but it works just fine using my E30 DAC.

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #539 of 941
Powered externally. My PC does go thru a sleep cycle so perhaps the optical output is not waking up, but it works just fine using my E30 DAC.

try making sure the pc driver that handles the optical output (might be part of the motherboard chipset driver) is the most current. likely it's just sending a string of zeros after wakeup, but not sending out valid frames. the E30 might be using a different toslink spdif receiver chip and is able to re-sync better.

Modius is using an AK4113 receiver like the other Schiit DACs do. :thinking:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back