Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jul 1, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #391 of 941
I'm in the market for a budget dac,can get a mint used Bifrost 4490 or a new Modius for basically the same price.Any thoughts which direction I should go??A new Modi multibit is also under consideration for $50 more?

if your source is connected via USB, then Modius is the best option among the three (in the $250 or less DAC category).

If your source is connected via coaxial SPDIF then Modi Multibit.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #392 of 941
if your source is connected via USB, then Modius is the best option among the three (in the $250 or less DAC category).

If your source is connected via coaxial SPDIF then Modi Multibit.
My source is connected via SPDIF,another recommendation for the Modi Multibit.That leads me to another question if I may.I can get a Modi V2 Multibit in the used market,would I be better off going new?

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #393 of 941
I'm in the market for a budget dac,can get a mint used Bifrost 4490 or a new Modius for basically the same price.Any thoughts which direction I should go??A new Modi multibit is also under consideration for $50 more?
I've owned the Modi 3, Modi multibit, Bifrost multibit, and Bifrost 4490. Currently have the Modius. I'd skip the Bifrost 4490 and go with the Modi multibit or Modius. I'm a big fan of the Modi multibit but this Modius with the AKM4493 is now edging out the Modi multibit as my favorite. Both are bargains at the price you pay and both sound really good so you can't go wrong with either one. I'd love to be able to do a blind listening test between the Modi multibit and Modius.

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #394 of 941
I've owned the Modi 3, Modi multibit, Bifrost multibit, and Bifrost 4490. Currently have the Modius. I'd skip the Bifrost 4490 and go with the Modi multibit or Modius. I'm a big fan of the Modi multibit but this Modius with the AKM4493 is now edging out the Modi multibit as my favorite. Both are bargains at the price you pay and both sound really good so you can't go wrong with either one. I'd love to be able to do a blind listening test between the Modi multibit and Modius.

When you say Bifrost multibit, are you talking about the Bifrost 2? I ask because I don't know if there was a Bifrost 1 multibit.

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #396 of 941
I had the Bifrost multibit not the Bifrost 2. There was one before the Bifrost 2. Same chipset as the Modi multibit.

I see. I thought you had the 2, and the 2 is crazy good in my opinion, so to think that you were saying the Modi multibit was better to you was interesting, to say the least. The B2 my main dac though, so I'm biased.

Jul 1, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #397 of 941
I see. I thought you had the 2, and the 2 is crazy good in my opinion, so to think that you were saying the Modi multibit was better to you was interesting, to say the least. The B2 my main dac though, so I'm biased.
No, I think the Modi multibit is better than the Bifrost 4490. I liked the Bifrost multibit and Modi multibit. The Modi 3 is a bargain if all you want spend is a hundred bucks. I'm a ladder DAC fan but the Modius is impressive. I've heard great things about the BF2 from not only you but practically everyone that owns it.
I'm sure I'll have to try it out soon now that they're shipping.

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #398 of 941

If your source is USB, it’s a no-brainer to get Modius because it has Unison USB, whereas I doubt the older Bifrost does.

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #399 of 941
Just out of curiosity, I am using the USB on the Modius. FLAC files on the PC, 3m. cable I was using on the XBOX-controller and that works fine, Modius gets powered through the USB cable.
What if I also use the supplied adapter and feed the second micro-USB port. ( I can't simply try, would have to get an adapter to use it on European sockets)
Would/could it have any effect on the sound quality?

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #400 of 941
Just out of curiosity, I am using the USB on the Modius. FLAC files on the PC, 3m. cable I was using on the XBOX-controller and that works fine, Modius gets powered through the USB cable.
What if I also use the supplied adapter and feed the second micro-USB port. ( I can't simply try, would have to get an adapter to use it on European sockets)

I think clean power is always better. 🤔

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #401 of 941
I doubt it would have any impact on sound quality.

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #402 of 941
I doubt it would have any impact on sound quality.
Me too, that's why I asked. Anyone tried it ?

In most audio equipment the powersupply is definetly influencing the sound quality.

Not sure if PC-power is clean or not. Not sure it matters either. Just curious..

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #403 of 941
Me too, that's why I asked. Anyone tried it ?

In most audio equipment the powersupply is definetly influencing the sound quality.

Not sure if PC-power is clean or not. Not sure it matters either. Just curious..
In this case, schiit uses specific techniques to help with any usb noise from a less than clean signal from the motherboard. That’s why I’m confident. On something from smsl or another brand using off the shelf usb interfaces I would have less confidence

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #404 of 941
In this case, schiit uses specific techniques to help with any usb noise from a less than clean signal from the motherboard. That’s why I’m confident. On something from smsl or another brand using off the shelf usb interfaces I would have less confidence

Yeah... that doesn't say much unless you try.

Jul 3, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #405 of 941
@strider1007 , it really depends how bad the USB on your PC is. If it’s very noisy, you are better off powering the Modius using the power adapter. When I run it from my Mac, the sound quality isn’t as good as powering the Modius separately. But when I run it from my Shanling M6 without external power, it’s not as bad as my Mac. So I don’t mind running it from my M6 alone, for convenience sakes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back