Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jun 25, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #361 of 941
I just got the Bifrost 2 today and connected in place of the Modius for now.

The Modius I really like with Jotunheim. To me it is a very resolving, energetic, clinical sounding pairing.

I really like the Bifrost 2 with the Lyr 3 so far. I haven't tried it with Jot yet but I'm optimistic there too.

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #362 of 941
I just got the Modius today, liking it so far, but using it with rca inputs. Would balanced be worth it? don't really know where to get xlr cables for it and the HD650s

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #363 of 941
I just got the Modius today, liking it so far, but using it with rca inputs. Would balanced be worth it? don't really know where to get xlr cables for it and the HD650s
Ime the sound signature is not that different between xlr and rca, when it’s time to upgrade you’ll be ready, but I wouldn’t worry you’re missing anything

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #364 of 941
The only audible thing balanced provides in the realm of home audio is more power. Nobody is hearing the incredibly small levels of crosstalk and electrical noise that balanced designs are deployed to combat, unless the gear is quite flawed by todays standards. Remember, measurable does not always mean audible. If your current amp is receiving a signal that it can adequately amplify and control the drivers at the playback volume you desire then you will gain nothing at all going balanced beyond being able to lower the gain on the amp. It is psychological and I still prefer to have balanced because I have this unsupportable need to feel that my amp is being less taxed and delivering superior separation when I keep the volume control lower with a balanced input, but that is rubbish. My amp couldn't care less if the volume control is slightly higher because it is well enough designed to remain stable down to 4ohms and I am incapable of hearing any difference between the RCA or balanced input.

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #365 of 941
The output stage of Modius uses one opamp for balanced and a different opamp for single-ended. They do have different sounds. Only you can determine if you can hear them, and then again only you can determine if you like any differences you can perceive. This is clearly different from other previous Schiit dacs that summed the balanced signal to make a single-ended connection.

The fact that different opamps are used is indisputable. Modius has been described as two dacs in one, and I happen to agree with that over generalization because the sound differences are discernible between output stages. I, along with several others, prefer the sound signature from the balanced output. It has nothing to do with one tech being superior or inferior and all that dogma we read about. In the case of Modius, it's not about power or noise rejection, it's about different sonic characteristics that many people can hear.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #368 of 941
those of you who own modi 3 and modius, and just use single ended, can you tell a difference/improvement with same headphones? just curious
I can. I've owned the Modi 3 and Bifrost 4490. To my ears the Modius has a bigger, deeper, and more airy soundstage. The separation of the instruments is fantastic. Excuse my descriptions but it's hard for me to put into words. The Modius is much more to my liking than the Modi 3 or Bifrost 4490. I need to spend more time with it because I own a Modi multibit and Bifrost multibit and I think the Modius gives them a run for their money. I might end up preferring the Modius, time will tell.
I also just took delivery of a Rupert Neve headphone amp a little while ago so this is the first time I've used XLR cables. I was using a Schiit Magni 3+ and it sounded great with the Modius.

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #370 of 941
Just to be sure, if I use balanced between the modius and 789 I should only use balanced XLR headphone cable right?
I wouldn't be able to use the SE inputs?
No, you can use single ended with your headphone. If that is what you were asking about. The connection between the amp and DAC does not constrain the headphone connection to the amp.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #372 of 941
Jun 27, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #373 of 941
This is an analogy that makes sense to me, so please take it for what it is. The BF2 renders detail in a film-like way, where it breaks down into grains and not pixels. I think this makes sense for people who have seen the resolution film and digital are both capable of, but how it breaks down as you start to look at details. They both break down, but in different ways.

This is a very good comparison and I think also a good analogy to what people mean when they describe D/S as “digital” sounding as compared to multibit.

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #374 of 941
I forgot if I read a post here or on a different forum where a person said that they heard that the Modius and Rupert Neve headphone amp was not a good mix. I couldn't disagree more strenuously. I'm using the Modius as an external DAC on my older Marantz CD5003. I'm also using the balanced outputs on the Modius. I've never heard my HD650's sound this good as they do plugged into the Neve with the Modius.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 27, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #375 of 941
I forgot if I read a post here or on a different forum where a person said that they heard that the Modius and Rupert Neve headphone amp was not a good mix. I couldn't disagree more strenuously. I'm using the Modius as an external DAC on my older Marantz CD5003. I'm also using the balanced outputs on the Modius. I've never heard my HD650's sound this good as they do plugged into the Neve with the Modius.
I think this was me, on another forum. Primarily this was with planar headphones from tidal/Spotify as a source. That May have something to do with the difference. I don’t have any sennheisers but I’m glad you’re finding it pleasing for your setup. It’s all great gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back