Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jun 21, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #331 of 941
I do think the Modius is a lot more resolving than Modi Multibit, but that's not saying the MM can't resolve detail in music.
The Modi multibit is an allstar in my book. I could not really hear much of difference between the Modi multibit and the Bifrost multibit. I'm a huge fan of Mimby
The Modius isn't better than the Modi multibit for me just different.

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #333 of 941
I ordered a JDS Labs Element II but now I am kinda regretting not ordering this with a AAA 789. I can’t return the Element as it has a custom engraving (oops) so I am going to take some sort of hit $100-200 Canadian I man guessing. Are balanced outputs going to really make a difference when I mainly have aac files and some apple lossless from years ago? I guess also eliminating potential ground loop is another’s benefit? Other then that it’s gaming. Headphones are 660s currently.

Jun 21, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #334 of 941
I ordered a JDS Labs Element II but now I am kinda regretting not ordering this with a AAA 789. I can’t return the Element as it has a custom engraving (oops) so I am going to take some sort of hit $100-200 Canadian I man guessing. Are balanced outputs going to really make a difference when I mainly have aac files and some apple lossless from years ago? I guess also eliminating potential ground loop is another’s benefit? Other then that it’s gaming. Headphones are 660s currently.
The balanced out is using LME49724 opamps and ppl are of opinion that this is very resolving and good sounding opamps.SE uses OPA1662 which is considered to be warm. How much will you hear the difference depends on the headphone and the amp that you use but I feel l with HD6X0 series you will notice a difference. Based on your sound preference you may like one over another

Jun 21, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #336 of 941

The only inherently better things that balanced xlr outputs offer are the elimination of group loops and extra power over rca. Balanced doesn't necessarily offer better performance than single ended it depends on the dacs and amps being used.

The thx 789 amp for instance is not a true differential amplifier, so in terms of sound quality its outputs are identical, you just get more power via xlr.

The reason why people are interested in running the Modius specifically balanced is that it has a totally different output stage for its balanced and single ended outputs as Kumar402 said , so its almost like getting two dacs in one. Some people may think one output sounds better than the other. But this is because of the modius not the inherent nature of balanced if this makes sense.

The thx 789 and modius is a really interesting combo because you could use it both single ended and balanced and see which sounds better to you. I guess that some will actually prefer the SE out of the modius.

Also the file type of your music doesn't make much if any difference in your perception of differences imo, you don't need to use hi res stuff. I listen to cd quality flac 98% of the time. It is possible that if you have some real crap mp3s, they might sound extra crap on a really revealing setup but that would be the only concern in my experience.

I wouldn't feel too bad about buying a element ii, it looks to be a pretty great dac/amp combo. The biggest problem with the original element imo was that the dac was rather mediocre, the ii has a much better dac imo. It is a nice solution for saving desk space for sure and the custom engravings are cool 😎.

It is very easy to give yourself endless panic attacks in this hobby thinking you should have gone a different way, I learned that you are much better off thinking of things in terms of difference rather than superiority.

Just know that you are getting a different experience with the element ii rather than strictly inferior one, its entirely possible that you would prefer the element if you were to compare it directly to the thx/modius combo.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #337 of 941
Anyone using the modius in their 2 channel system?

I am using it’s Bal XLR outs to go into a passive volume controller (Mackie Big Knob) and then into my active monitors (Tannoy Gold 7). Modius provides a large and airy soundstage, and the instrument separation is very good. Very good bass slam and the tone is also on the slight warmish and smoothish side of things. A very pleasant listening experience. As my speakers are neutrally tuned studio monitors, I wish the DAC had a little more density to the notes of acoustic instruments. But that’s a subjective thing. Overall, I would say it is very good for $200, especially out of its Balanced Outs. I am not a big fan of the SE outs though.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #339 of 941
any other recommendations for a passive balanced controller? I have the Sys between the Modius and my balanced powered monitors.
JBL Nano Patch + is another cheap alternative to SYS for balanced out

Jun 21, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #341 of 941
Jun 21, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #342 of 941
any other recommendations for a passive balanced controller? I have the Sys between the Modius and my balanced powered monitors.

Other than the Mackie Big Knob and the JBL Nanopatch+, the only other good one for under $100 seems to be the Palmer Monicon.

For a little more than a $100, apparently there are a few not-so-popular ones, but I am not familiar with those.

If you are willing to spend close to $500 or above, you have the balanced models from Goldpoint. At that point, it might make more sense to get a Schiit Freya S.

Jun 21, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #343 of 941
Other than the Mackie Big Knob and the JBL Nanopatch+, the only other good one for under $100 seems to be the Palmer Monicon.

For a little more than a $100, apparently there are a few not-so-popular ones, but I am not familiar with those.

If you are willing to spend close to $500 or above, you have the balanced models from Goldpoint. At that point, it might make more sense to get a Schiit Freya S.

Palmer Monicon looks fine, thanks for this

I found Senal PMC-II and Behringer Monitor1

https://www.senalsound.com/product/9153/Senal-PMC_II--Passive-Monitor-Controller

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0C9G

Jun 21, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #344 of 941
I finally got around to comparing my Modius with my Modi Multibit. I'm glad that I do hear a definite (albeit small) difference between the DACs. I'm using a Lyr 3 and a Grado GH4. The Modi Multibit has a more aggressive, intimate sound with more forward mids and possibly slightly more bass quantity. The Modius has a slightly larger soundstage and better imaging with a more laid back sound signature. The Modius helps to smooth some tracks which can sound harsh with the GH4. I don't really hear any more detail or objectively better quality with either DAC. In my case with the GH4, which already has a constricted soundstage and an aggressive, mid-forward sound signature, I think the Modius complements its strengths well.

I'm listening with speakers, and I hear the same things. For reference, I use a Pioneer multi-format disc player, into a choice of Schiit DACs; a Gungnir DS, a Bifrost MB, and the Modius. The preamp is a modded Saga OG into an Adcom GFA5400. Speakers are refurbed and recapped Acoustic Research AR58S models.

In comparing the MB and DS DACs, I agree with you. The MB has greater bass slam, with a more forward midrange, especially in the upper mids. All the DS DACs sound relaxed, with a slightly recessed midrange. Bass is tighter with less slam, but with more midbass warmth. I like the sound of the DS designs better, as they seem more natural and musical to me. All good, just a different flavor between the DAC types.

Jun 22, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #345 of 941
I Just ordered this for my AAA789, I’ve been using the modi 2 does anyone think this would be a significant upgrade? Or maybe I should get a different dac. I’ve noticed my WM1A SE/BAL seems to have better sound alone with my Solaris than my modi>789>Solaris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back