Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jun 8, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #121 of 941
So is MB vs DS sorta like vinyl vs hi-res? Whereas MB may not be as accurate or measure as well but the sound is just more pleasing to some?
This might be highly subjective but my take is multi-bit sounds more like real life and yes maybe vinyl-like. I don't know if its 'pleasing' per se, but somehow it sounds more transparent despite being thicker and softer. It resolves more detail in a different way through larger / deeper soundstage, better imaging/spatial cues, better timbre on vocals & instruments -- drums, pianos and guitars sound like how they sound in real life. DS sounds clearer and more resolving in a sharper albeit 2-d way.

For example, hi-hats in real life will usually have this body in the sound where you hear the wooden stick hit the metal , etc. On DS, hi-hats sound sharper but more abstract with less body. Pianos sound like there are strings being struck that has vibration and wood that resonates the notes. On DS, kinda sounds like a note being played. (its an oversimplification but that's how i perceive it).

I have recorded DS vs Multibit here, its not the best recording in the world, but despite the hastily prepared recording + youtube compression, I guess its enough to convey the difference if you listen through headphones :

Jun 8, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #122 of 941
This might be highly subjective but my take is multi-bit sounds more like real life and yes maybe vinyl-like. I don't know if its 'pleasing' per se, but somehow it sounds more transparent despite being thicker and softer. It resolves more detail in a different way through larger / deeper soundstage, better imaging/spatial cues, better timbre on vocals & instruments -- drums, pianos and guitars sound like how they sound in real life. DS sounds clearer and more resolving in a sharper albeit 2-d way.

For example, hi-hats in real life will usually have this body in the sound where you hear the wooden stick hit the metal , etc. On DS, hi-hats sound sharper but more abstract with less body. Pianos sound like there are strings being struck that has vibration and wood that resonates the notes. On DS, kinda sounds like a note being played. (its an oversimplification but that's how i perceive it).

I have recorded DS vs Multibit here, its not the best recording in the world, but despite the hastily prepared recording + youtube compression, I guess its enough to convey the difference if you listen through headphones :

Awesome! I'll definitely give that a listen one I get home to my headphones. Are they level matched sources? And no other differences besides the two DACs used?

Jun 8, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #123 of 941
Put in an order for a Modius and Saga S to go with my TV loud speaker setup. I've been twiddling my thumbs for a while waiting for something to click that would resolve my situation... that being remote volume control and a device that either auto sleeps or doesn't hog power. I originally bought a pair of Elac UB5's and the Emotiva A-100 to pair with my Mimby, hooked up to my TV via the optical out. Guess who didn't do their homework... spoiler: this guy. You can't control the optical-out volume with the TV remote, so as a workaround I fed the A-100 via the heaphone out of the TV via 3.5mm -> RCA (not ideal).

I knew for a while that the Saga S was probably my best bet, short of buying a standalone receiver, but I don't need another power amp and didn't want to compromise sound when I had a good DAC already... well, fast-forward, the Mimby's at the office and I just accepted sub-par sound of my speaker set up for the sake of volume control.

Enter the Modius. This thing's seemingly perfect for my set up. I plan to use it the Saga S in passive mode and just leave them both on all day (The A-100 auto-sleeps). As a bonus, I can even use the balanced outs of the Modius to feed back to my PC in the other room. I've got a powered USB hub under the TV that's connected to my PC, so I can connect the modius' USB input via that too while using optical from the TV. Perfect.

Then when the roommate's not home and I wanna get some more out of the speakers, I can hit that JFET stage button on the Saga and we're good to go!

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #124 of 941
Yes. You’ll get a shipping notification email, as soon as a shipping label is generated and it will go out that evening.

I was kind of regretting ordering the Modius, as what I really wanted was a Bifrost 2, especially after reading the Modius vs Mimby comparison in the last page. And now that Bifrost 2’s ETA has been pushed to 06/30, it makes me feel a little better. Still hoping to try Schiit’s multibit sound sooner than later.
I've only been listening to my Modius since FedEx delivered at noon today, but so far, I'm well satisfied.

Paired with Asgard 3 and Grado SR325's, I'm hearing more detail, airier mids, and deeper bass with no sibilance. This compared to my previous DAC with the Sabre ES9038Q3M chip (Loxjie D10). To me, the difference wasn't subtle.

As odd looking as the Loxjie is, it's a great sounding DAC. I wanted to try an AKM DAC (with special Schiit sauce) for comparrison, but I figured I'd be sending the Modius back. The Loxjie is now my traveling DAC.

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #125 of 941
So is MB vs DS sorta like vinyl vs hi-res? Whereas MB may not be as accurate or measure as well but the sound is just more pleasing to some?

Yeah that is my personal take on the Modi Multibit at least, it sounded closer to what a vinyl record sounds like to me. The bass was warmer/ slightly bloated but had more slam and the treble was gentle/slightly rolled off. Vocals sounded also very natural overall but good D/S dacs sound more detailed and have more of a airy quality to them IMO. Good D/S dacs sound more "Hifi" to me. Some people may interpret that as sounding more "digital" but I think that is only on the lackluster D/S dacs personally.

I personally prefer D/S, I actually did a big A/B test of Modi Mb vs Yamaha AG03 interface and preferred the Yamaha which was very surprising to me at the time. I only tried the V1 of the Modi Multibit though, the newer firmware is supposed to be better, in that it keeps the overall tone but tightens the bass and gives a but more detail which makes it a more interesting choice. Depends on what you want out of your dac, a more "hifi" sound or a more "natural" one.

Another good youtube test you can try are these two by the Audiofool, he has one sound test with the Modi MB v2 and one with the Topping D50s. Gave it to a friend who is not a audiophile and he was able to hear a difference though he had trouble explaining it, he prefered the D50s. Which as a side note is why I am huge promoter of doing preference based blind testing rather than the NAME THAT DAC style that people keep insisting on.

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #126 of 941
Finally got the Modius. Testing it now paired with the Jotunheim.

First few of quirks I noticed:
  • the front LED indicator seems to stay powered on at all times
    • it doesn't appear to be as bright as the Jotty but looks like the only way to get it off is to unplug the cables
      • I currently have it on both USB and SPDIF
  • the finish of the Modius is Satin compared to the brushed-aluminum of the Jotty. The Modius is also
  • the micro-usb is too depressed downward
    • I had to "scoop" it up for the cable to properly fit and connect, I couldn't plug it a normal horizontal manner
  • it is hella light at 2 pounds lol I got keyboards 3 times as heavy as this
    • it is more suited to be the bottom piece of the stack otherwise it is easily moved with a small yank of the cable

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #127 of 941
The 'vinyl vs. hi-res digital' analogy used to be a good one to use, but now that 99% of modern records (of both old and new music) use a digital file as the source master, it unfortunately no longer has the same relevence that it used to.

The closest I can come to describing the difference between the sound of 'Delta-Sigma vs. Mulitbit' would be this:

A good multibit DAC sounds a lot like when a live mic feed of someone singing is coming directly out of the mixing board before any processing has been done to it. This is something that I've heard a few times before, and it's always pretty amazing to hear the full power and texture of the singer, sounding almost exactly like they do in real life, come through a set of studio monitors. It's real, it's raw and if there are any imperfections, you will instantly hear those too as plain as day.

Now a good delta-sigma DAC usually sounds more like what you will hear after the same vocal has had some dynamic compression applied to round off its dynamic peaks, a little EQ mixed in to even out its tone, and just enough Auto-Tune added to eliminate any uneveness in its pitch.

Each version of the vocal has it's own unique appeal - some will prefer the raw 'realness' and dynamic power of the unprocessed vocal (i.e. multibit), while just as many others will prefer the smoothness and perfect pitch of the sweetened vocal (i.e. delta-sigma). There is no wrong choice. Both versions are equally compelling, but for very different reasons.

I feel this best describes the differences (as I hear them) between a good multibit DAC and an equally good delta-sigma DAC.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #128 of 941
I picked up the Modius at the post office after work today. I just got it set up and hooked up to the Jotunheim.

My initial first impression is that this is a very good DAC. Definitely different from the Modi Multibit, but so far I really like it.

I'm finally hearing the Jot through the balanced input. I don't hear a big difference but to me it sounds better, like the amp is meant to be used with a balanced source to excel to its full potential.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #129 of 941
Hi, finally received my Modius today after a two day delay from USPS! Anyway, I have to say that this is a great sounding DAC especially considering it is only $200!

I have had it powered on for a few hours connected to my THX789 and using my HD800s and Hifiman Aryas. I also have another THX789 that is connected to my Bifrost 2. I am using my PC/USB as my source using flac files as well as Tidal. I am also running the system balanced with the power adapter plugged in just because. I have not tried the RCA outs.

Like most have said, this is definitely one airy DAC. I am mostly a multibit is better type of guy. I have had quite a few DACS in the past including Modi, Mimby, SU8, Sdac balanced, topping D70 and like I said I currently have the Bifrost 2 as well as a topping D90. I do prefer the Bifrost 2 to the Modius because multibit just has that "weight" that makes everything more substantial and real sounding. These two DACS (IMHO) are not too disimilar in how they sound which speaks volumes to the Modius's sound quality. The fact that there is a $500 gulf between the two, I wouldn't be unhappy with the Modius alone, in fact I could buy a couple more and have a system in every room! Diminishing returns and all that. I did have a Jot in the past with the built in balanced 4490 DAC and didn't like that DAC at all. Dont like all in ones either, prefer seperates.

I also have not directly compared this to the Topping yet but considering I love my Bifrost 2 (and Modius) I will be probably selling that soon!

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #130 of 941
I picked up the Modius at the post office after work today. I just got it set up and hooked up to the Jotunheim.

My initial first impression is that this is a very good DAC. Definitely different from the Modi Multibit, but so far I really like it.

I'm finally hearing the Jot through the balanced input. I don't hear a big difference but to me it sounds better, like the amp is meant to be used with a balanced source to excel to its full potential.
Sweet. I got my USB adapter and XLR cables in today. Modius shipped today too, should have it Wednesday I assume. I've only ever heard my Jot being fed from the 4490 DAC card. This will also be my first foray into separate DACs.

Did you put the Modius under or on top of your Jot, and why? I intend to put the DAC on top, I've never noticed my Jot getting hot enough to cause concern, warm yes. But never hot.

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #131 of 941
Sweet. I got my USB adapter and XLR cables in today. Modius shipped today too, should have it Wednesday I assume. I've only ever heard my Jot being fed from the 4490 DAC card. This will also be my first foray into separate DACs.

Did you put the Modius under or on top of your Jot, and why? I intend to put the DAC on top, I've never noticed my Jot getting hot enough to cause concern, warm yes. But never hot.
I put the Modius under the Jot, then the Lyr 3 on top. To me it just makes more sense when I connect everything.

Oh yeah, so far I don't notice the Modius getting warm at all. I think the Lyr 3 runs hotter than Jot but not very hot.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #132 of 941
The 'vinyl vs. hi-res digital' analogy used to be a good one to use, but now that 99% of modern records (of both old and new music) use a digital file as the source master, it unfortunately no longer has the same relevence that it used to.

The closest I can come to describing the difference between the sound of 'Delta-Sigma vs. Mulitbit' would be this:

A good multibit DAC sounds a lot like when a live mic feed of someone singing is coming directly out of the mixing board before any processing has been done to it. This is something that I've heard a few times before, and it's always pretty amazing to hear the full power and texture of the singer, sounding almost exactly like they do in real life, come through a set of studio monitors. It's real, it's raw and if there are any imperfections, you will instantly hear those too as plain as day.

Now a good delta-sigma DAC usually sounds more like what you will hear after the vocal has had some dynamic compression applied to round off its dynamic peaks, a little EQ mixed in to sweeten its tone, and a little bit of Auto-Tune added to even out any uneveness in its pitch.

Each version of the vocal has it's own unique appeal - some will prefer the raw 'realness' and dynamic power of the unprocessed vocal (i.e. multibit), while just as many others will prefer the smoothness and perfect pitch of the sweetened vocal (i.e. delta-sigma). There is no wrong choice. Both versions are equally compelling, but for very different reasons.

I feel this best describes the differences (as I hear them) between a good multibit DAC and an equally good delta-sigma DAC.
Most likely you are just imagining the difference, or you are hearing the higher distortion and noise from the Multibit.

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #133 of 941
Most likely you are just imagining the difference, or you are hearing the higher distortion and noise from the Multibit.
Yep, that's gotta be it. :rolling_eyes:

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #134 of 941
Have people not been able to discern DS and R2R DACs in blind testing? I do believe differences between DACs are wildy overstated and I believe those differences shrink very much when listening blindly, which is why I said I was joining the expectation bias club when I placed my order for the Mobius LMAO. But from what I've heard it seems like DS vs R2R is more like tube amplification vs SS in that they have a distinct, easily recognizable sound signature.

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #135 of 941
But from what I've heard it seems like DS vs R2R is more like tube amplification vs SS in that they have a distinct, easily recognizable sound signature.
That's another good analogy. :beerchug:

Tube = Multibit - & - Solid-State = Delta-Sigma

This comparison actually reminded me of a thought-provoking Stereophile cover from back in the day.

It always amazes me how some things never change! :sweat_smile:

0815-194cvr-600.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back