Schiit Modi USB DAC
Aug 22, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #541 of 870
After 3 listening sessions my initial impression of the Modi is that although it is a solid performer it doesn't sound nearly as good as my $350 CD player.  Maybe this is an unfair comparison but I had hoped it would be closer.  Or maybe the Modi needs to burn in or I simply need to get used to the sound.  I'd be interested in comparing the CD player to a Bitfrost but I don't know how that's going to happen. (BTW, I'm using lossless files with the Modi, ripped from CD and played by iTunes).

With my limited vocabulary, I can only say that the Modi is harsher sounding. The CD player is very smooth.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #542 of 870
  After 3 listening sessions my initial impression of the Modi is that although it is a solid performer it doesn't sound nearly as good as my $350 CD player.  Maybe this is an unfair comparison but I had hoped it would be closer.  Or maybe the Modi needs to burn in or I simply need to get used to the sound.  I'd be interested in comparing the CD player to a Bitfrost but I don't know how that's going to happen. (BTW, I'm using lossless files with the Modi, ripped from CD and played by iTunes).

With my limited vocabulary, I can only say that the Modi is harsher sounding. The CD player is very smooth.

It could be that the Modi is revealing defects in the recording or your CD player chain has less treble and you prefer that sound signature.

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #543 of 870
Just bought one of these as a backup office DAC while I'm in-between high-end DACs (yet again). SQ is simply excellent, and not just "for the price". I find it funny that right now it's sandwiched between interconnect cables that each cost more than the unit itself, into an amp/headphone combo that costs thirty times more, and yet it's not the weakest link.

There is some susceptibility to USB noise, but I have a spare iFi iSUB Power and through that there are no issues. Also, I found that judicious choice of an uncrowded USB port can remedy the issue, but here your luck may vary.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #544 of 870
Does anyone else think the Modi has very good and smooth treble? I don't know how it could be considered bright, harsh or treble happy. It's not at all for me and never has been.
I think i've had it for maybe over a year now or more and it's been a keeper even after finding a better DAC.

The thing I noticed only after a year and with some very bright/trebly headphones is that it has much smoother treble than other DACs.

The T90 is especially good on the Modi, but for the T90 the Modi is kind of not good enough, but still fun to listen to.

The Modi compared to better DACs seems a little more forgiving and sort of a tiny bit more "fuzzy" sounding in music with a larger soundstage in the recording.
Slightly less clear sounding. The Modi is much better for harsh material and is not as revealing as my other DAC. I probably couldn't tell the difference in bitrate with the Modi.

I always wondered why the Modi sounded like it had better soundstage depth in comparison to the ODAC. What fools the brain into thinking this?
I think it's due to perhaps .5% less treble on the Modi. ODAC and Modi sound about 95-98%% identical to me, but ODAC possibly has more extended treble. Not sure.

I think if the Modi + Magni sounds bright to some it's probably not the Modi's fault at all.
I think the Modi should be amazing to pair up with a brighter Grado like the SR-325i.

I think now it makes sense why the Magni would be best with the Modi. The Magni with some other DACs just doesn't sound as good.

Nope, i'm not saying the Modi is dark, warm etc. Just very smooth treble. It's a very fun DAC, but yet neutral and sounds great and it's very smooth sounding.
The best thing about it I think is really in how natural it sounds with EVERYTHING. It's also sort of forgiving and totally NOT like putting your music under a microscope.

Sometimes when I listen to my Micro DAC it's like my music sounds harsher, thinner, brighter depending on the recording. This is actually 100% how the recording sounds.

The Modi certainly doesn't tame the treble on a Q701, HD-650 or my DJ100. If it ever did it would have to be something like a T1, HD-800 or Grado SR-325i. I'd love to try those on the Modi.

My newest DAC uses the CS4398 DAC chipset and that's much more analytical sounding and often makes music less fun to listen to. I sometimes switch to the Modi when I don't want to be bothered by my lower quality crap or harsher tracks.

BTW I also think the ODAC is also not too revealing. I think the HRT MSII was a little more revealing of recordings, but overall that DAC didn't last more than a year. It made some headphones sound harsh and added more warmth to headphones than I prefer. It actually made the soundstage of my Q701 sound much more closed in which is bizarre. I didn't realize what I was missing until I ugpraded to the ODAC (and later the Modi).

I hope the Bifrost is more revealing/less forgiving than the Modi, but has a similar sound. A mix between my CS4398/Micro DAC and the Modi might be interesting.

Oh and I'd definitely say the Modi is slightly better than the ODAC and well worth the $99. I'd actually pay $150 for a version with both optical AND USB. Not even sure if it's possible. I also have the E17 but the Modi is far better in every way. The E17 does have more features though and is slightly warmer sounding (who cares!). I use the E17 for my bedroom due to it's optical connection.

It's usually sent to the O2 as a backup amp since I don't really like the Q701/HD-650 with just the E17 alone. I believe the E17's amp part also has some treble roll-off but probably not audible. I usually disable that and use just the DAC.

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #546 of 870
@tdockweiler, I owned both and none is better to be honest but I prefer ODAC sound than Modi. In price tag, Modi is better. Not to mention better looking. :p Sound wise (personal preferences) I prefer ODAC. More detail, cleaner and better separation. However Modi give more power to bass section and managed to tamed the treble. YMMV... Plus, I like bright sound. :D :D Never regret to own both...

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #548 of 870
To everyone with a Modi that is having USB troubles on Windows 8 and 8.1, I bring you a permanent solution. The only real caveat is that you must always use the same USB port as this setting is tied to just your device in that USB port.

*WARNING: THIS REQUIRES EDITING OF THE REGISTRY, READ ALL INSTRUCTION BEFORE ATTEMPTING*

1. Open Device Manager
2. Click "View"in the top bar of the open Device Manager window and select by connection type
3. Open the tree for your USB Host Controller and find your Schiit Audio Device

4. Once found, right click to open the Context Menu and select "Properties"
5. Click on the "Events Tab"
6. In the "Information" pane will be text that will read something like: 
"Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service usbaudio for Device Instance ID USB\VID_XXXX&PID_XXXX&MI_00\6&21084A46&0&0000"

7. The above string tells you the Vendor ID (VID), Product ID (PID), and Instance ID of your Schiit Audio Device
8. Open the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Enum\ USB"

9. Open the "USB" tree and find the VID & PID string that matches the one of your Schiit Audio Device, open this tree as well
10. Find the Instance ID that matches your Schiit Audio Device and open that tree, then click on "Device Parameters"
11. Double Click on the "EnhancedPowerManagementEndabled" to edit the value, set this value to 0 (zero) and click OK

12. Now close the Registry Editor and reboot your computer  

I know this isn't the best write up ever but it does solve the problem. Like I said above, the only caveat is that you must always plug the Modi (or any other similar device) into the same USB port.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #550 of 870
Yeah, Windows 8 and 8.1 have a new Power Management "feature" that doesn't play well with things like USB DACs and external HDDs. The problem is endemic enough that Schiit has an entire FAQ/Troubleshooting section on their site dedicated to the problem. Also, when I spoke with Schiit Tech Support about it they seemed to imply that it was a really common issue. Searching around showed a lot of people experiencing the same with no actual solutions available that worked for everyone.

The issue itself manifests as the Modi/whatever essentially disconnecting as the power to that USB port gets cycled. This can occur as a single disconnect or cascading ones that happen every few seconds. When the disconnect happens any program that was delivering an audio stream through your DAC will effectively be muted until said program is restarted. I tried disabling power management through the control panel but it didn't cause any improvement. As such I went in and disabled it from the registry.

I have already contacted Schiit Tech Support about this, as I said above, and they've had success with it as well.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #551 of 870
  It could be that the Modi is revealing defects in the recording or your CD player chain has less treble and you prefer that sound signature.

I think you are right about the treble.  Cymbals and snares seem to be more forward using the Modi and are more in the back with the CD player.  At first I took the forward treble for more detail, and maybe it's true, but I'm not so sure anymore. People say that differences between DACs should be fairly slight so I assume that the Modi is a more typical presentation and that the CD player is more colored - though I don't know that. It's possible that which I prefer may ultimately depend on the headphones that I'm using.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #553 of 870

I think you are right about the treble.  Cymbals and snares seem to be more forward using the Modi and are more in the back with the CD player.  At first I took the forward treble for more detail, and maybe it's true, but I'm not so sure anymore. People say that differences between DACs should be fairly slight so I assume that the Modi is a more typical presentation and that the CD player is more colored - though I don't know that. It's possible that which I prefer may ultimately depend on the headphones that I'm using.

If you prefer less treble, you might try using a touch of EQ.

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #554 of 870

From what I've heard (Modi, Bifrost w/ USBv1, ODAC, Leckerton UHA-6S.MkII, computer sound card, integrated laptop sound, Clip+, Nexus 5 phone) they all sounded very similar on first listen. If you're hearing an obvious noticeable difference then yeah, I'd suspect the CD player is more colored.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that as long as you enjoy the sound, but it's been my experience that most reasonably transparent DACs sound pretty similar at least on first listen (it's usually about the subtleties if anything).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back