Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Feb 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #2,506 of 3,541
I am going to end up buying some LCD-2's because I can't listen to them anywhere....
rolleyes.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #2,507 of 3,541
Quote:
Detail is a collection of definitions grouped together.

Not so.
The definitnion of detail;
-An individual part or item; a particular.
Based on the definition, wouldnt detail exist at / in all frequencies? Bass detail? Midrange detail?
Surely one can hear "details" across the entire FR?

Quote:
 Without proper treble you lose the detail that makes the rest into definable sounds

Would i be wrong if i substituted "treble" in your post with "bass" ?

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #2,508 of 3,541
Not so.
The definitnion of detail;
-An individual part or item; a particular.
Based on the definition, wouldnt detail exist at / in all frequencies? Bass detail? Midrange detail?
Surely one can hear "details" across the entire FR?

Would i be wrong if i substituted "treble" in your post with "bass" ?

You can't use dictionary definitions. I said in my post (that you seem to have glossed over) that most detail is in the treble range (not all). And no, if you replaced treble with bass, you would still have a highly detailed sound, just lacking body. It would sound very similar to how most headphones sounded before D7000/LCD-2/Beats changed how people thought headphones could sound.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #2,509 of 3,541
HD800 is awesome when I owned it for a while (see avatar) but the problem was that it was $1200 and I couldn't listen to it for extended periods of time.. I seriously use cans for like 5 hours straight. I listen at very reasonable volumes coming from a Grado background where the treble makes it so that I don't need to use volume to get detail retrieval.

The LCD-2's are just comfy to listen to and thats why I have them. I actually like HE-5LE, HE-6, and HD800.

Maxvla, I can't get into cable talk haha. I think just a really long night of listening to hot lead guitar solos of the metal persuasion just left me a little fatigued and I should take 5 and watch a movie or something.

So I went to the meet today, Jason Stoddard wasn't able to make it.. I was really looking forward to meeting him. He still graciously provided a BUNCH of stuff. I even borrowed a set of PYST RCA's to use for the duration of the meet.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #2,510 of 3,541
Quote:
HD800 is awesome when I owned it for a while (see avatar) but the problem was that it was $1200 and I couldn't listen to it for extended periods of time.. I seriously use cans for like 5 hours straight. I listen at very reasonable volumes coming from a Grado background where the treble makes it so that I don't need to use volume to get detail retrieval.

The LCD-2's are just comfy to listen to and thats why I have them. I actually like HE-5LE, HE-6, and HD800.

Maxvla, I can't get into cable talk haha. I think just a really long night of listening to hot lead guitar solos of the metal persuasion just left me a little fatigued and I should take 5 and watch a movie or something.

So I went to the meet today, Jason Stoddard wasn't able to make it.. I was really looking forward to meeting him. He still graciously provided a BUNCH of stuff. I even borrowed a set of PYST RCA's to use for the duration of the meet.

Wait, what? The LCD-2s are more comfortable than the HD800s? 
size]

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #2,512 of 3,541
Wait, what? The LCD-2s are more comfortable than the HD800s? 
size]
I love the LCD 2, just not for classical music (I.e.., too warm, rolled off high when highs are so important in classical, and a very narrow soundstage). How anyone can find the LCD 2s comfortable is beyond me. It has a death grip on one's head and is as heavy as a lead helmet. After wearing them for an hour or so my neck, temples, and jaw hurt a bit. Now, my ears never hurt with these phones since they are one mellow, gentle beast sound wise.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #2,514 of 3,541
Quote:
You can't use dictionary definitions.

So we should use your definition for detail
confused.gif

Details exist across the entire FR, not more in the treble area or less in the bass area as your definition suggests.
You hear, to quote you, the "most detail" in the treble most likely due to your equipment, but to suggest more detail exists in the treble is wrong.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #2,515 of 3,541
No, my definition is rooted in fact. Harmonics make up most of what we hear that defines an instrument/sound source. Very few instruments play into the upper frequencies as their fundamental, yet if you go and listen to a fundamental with no harmonics, it is a sound devoid of definition or detail. A fundamental 440 'A' with no harmonics sounds exactly the same no matter what instrument it is from. The harmonics above 440 define what the sound is from, whether it be a violin or a piano. The most easily definable harmonics reside in the treble and high mids range.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #2,516 of 3,541
After owning the LCD2s for well over a year, I actually find them comfortable, and the HD800's grip too polite when on my head.

And just putting it out there... stock LCD2 cables are horrid sonically... really makes things closed in and lacking detail and treble.
Ignore above statement if you disagree with cables, thank you.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #2,519 of 3,541
I'm running TOSLINK out of my computer motherboard right now, are transports worth the money? I mean I was listening to some computer rigs that still sounded pretty good straight out of a laptop

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #2,520 of 3,541
Quote:
I'm running TOSLINK out of my computer motherboard right now, are transports worth the money? I mean I was listening to some computer rigs that still sounded pretty good straight out of a laptop

My experience is that it is dependent on the file vs the disc and transport. 24/192 FLAC vs SACD is an interesting afternoon of comparing. I have Fleetwood Mac Tango in the night on SACD and 24/192 FLAC. There is a difference, but I am simply enjoying the chance to air out the HD800's and pick out micro details for the fun of it. You could certainly have it all on your hard drive and never need a transport. As long as the files are good and the DAC is solid you need never touch a disc again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back