Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Feb 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2,446 of 3,541
Quote:
It's hard to imagine the Asgard 2 would be better than the Mjolnir given the price point especially since it is the same company. I can't see any company undercutting their own sales by having something cheaper outperform something that costs 3-4x the price. However they are also different designs so would serve different markets as well. The Asgard 2 is also really new and I don't think anyone has one yet.

That's almost what they did with the Magni and Asgard. I've been emailing with Jason from Schiit. He's said that the Asgard 2 is very, very close to the quality of Mjolnir.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #2,452 of 3,541
Quote:
Thats really hard to believe but lets wait till some units arrive.

+1. I think the nature of the Asgard is much different than Mjolnir. I'm not sure if Asgard 2's improvements
are enough to be Mjolnir like. I expect more of a Lyr-ish feel. I'm itchin' to put an order in.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #2,453 of 3,541
Shoot, I'd love to swap my Mjolnir for an Asgard 2 and pocket the extra cash, but it would have to be pretty damn close in performance.  I'd be surprised if it was at the same level, but I'll just have to hear it.  The Mjolnir is amazing with the LCD2s, but I find the Magni almost unlistenable in comparison. It seems like the Asgard 2 would be somewhere between the two, since the Asgard 1 was considered so close to the Magni.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #2,454 of 3,541
I'm not convinced Jason meant quite what his comment (as reported) seems to imply, as the context wasn't included. Whilst many amps may be describable as close or the same in quality, this isn't the same as saying they have the same character and capabilities. Rated1975 put exactly the right questions.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #2,455 of 3,541
When using my Mjolnir the right audio channel randomly drops when I move. I'm pretty sure this is because the cable/connector to my headphones gets twisted, pulled, or pushed however I can't figure out if it is the cable or my headphones with the problem (or something else). This problem does not happen when using a single ended amp/connection and is next to impossible to reproduce on demand so with only one cable, headphone, and SE and balanced amp I'm having a tough time figuring out what may be wrong. Anyone have an idea as to what the problem might before I request a new cable (I'd really hate rma the cable if it is not the problem)?

Thanks,

redmaw

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #2,456 of 3,541
Quote:
When using my Mjolnir the right audio channel randomly drops when I move. I'm pretty sure this is because the cable/connector to my headphones gets twisted, pulled, or pushed however I can't figure out if it is the cable or my headphones with the problem (or something else). This problem does not happen when using a single ended amp/connection and is next to impossible to reproduce on demand so with only one cable, headphone, and SE and balanced amp I'm having a tough time figuring out what may be wrong. Anyone have an idea as to what the problem might before I request a new cable (I'd really hate rma the cable if it is not the problem)?

Thanks,

redmaw

You should first try swapping the cable.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #2,458 of 3,541
Quote:

I'd like to but I don't have a second balanced cable. I've used the stock cable for about 2 months and never had a problem, but for some reason the problem is much rarer on SE.

I ment just swap the channels. You say it's the right channel, so swap 'em and see if it's the cable or headphone.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #2,460 of 3,541
Quote:
I ment just swap the channels. You say it's the right channel, so swap 'em and see if it's the cable or headphone.

Ah, that makes more sense (and what I did earlier today). Turns out it is the cable, which makes me very glad because it should be in warranty still unlike the headphones. Thanks for the help paradoxper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back