Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 9, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #3,017 of 6,930
Jot is more accurate, mj2 is more euphonic. I wish I had gone rag though, not gonna lie

I had Rag new and sold it. Then I bought Jot and sold it. Not that they are bad but I'm on a journey of amps self discovery. Now I want to get the mj2. Rest of the gear in my signature. :)

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #3,018 of 6,930
I had Rag new and sold it. Then I bought Jot and sold it. Not that they are bad but I'm on a journey of amps self discovery. Now I want to get the mj2. Rest of the gear in my signature. :)
Keep aus posted on your impressions.
Having a Woo Wa 22, Violectric V280 and Questyle CMA Twelve I can't see you keeping the mjolnir2 though.

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #3,019 of 6,930
Keep aus posted on your impressions.
Having a Woo Wa 22, Violectric V280 and Questyle CMA Twelve I can't see you keeping the mjolnir2 though.

Hahaha I have also Oblivion by Ultrasonic Studio and La Figaro 339. Sold off, Feliks Elise, Euforia, Glenn OTL amp and ALO Audio Studio Six. As I said, I'm on a journey of self discovery.

I'm really curious how Mjolnir2 compares with those. There's no bias in me and I don't favour any brand. Perhaps I might like the Mjolnir 2 especially with my Yggdrasil. :wink:

4 headphones here to test it with. Just sold off Verite LTD Open.

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #3,020 of 6,930
On top of that, I might get hold of a mint Auralic Taurus Mk2 which I heard is very good for an old timer. Interesting time ahead.

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #3,021 of 6,930
Alright I have confirmation now that mj2 is coming to me with the owner and he's also bringing his main amp - SPL Phonitor X . I have just deprive myself of any sleep tonight. :)

It's coming with Amperex orange globes tube and the Schiit Lsst tubes.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #3,022 of 6,930
Alright I have confirmation now that mj2 is coming to me with the owner and he's also bringing his main amp - SPL Phonitor X . I have just deprive myself of any sleep tonight. :)

It's coming with Amperex orange globes tube and the Schiit Lsst tubes.
Please share your listening impressions afterwards.

Curious about the no longer sold LSST tubes

Jan 10, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #3,024 of 6,930
Wonder why they stop selling that. I thought it would be good option to have solid state and tubes in the mj2.
Apparently, they were difficult to mfg from what I remember seeing posted.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #3,025 of 6,930
SPL Phonitor X and Schiit Mjolnir 2 arrived yesterday to join the amps I have here in Sydney - Woo Audio Wa22, Violectric v280, Questyle CMA Twelve and SMSL SP200.

With my 3 headphones I sat and listen with my friend who brought those 2 amps. The headphones are Hekse, LCD-X and HD800.

I'm still processing my thoughts. Won't be a while before I make a judgement. Suffice to say I like the mj2 so much that I was willing to trade my La Figaro 339 plus a little cash for it. It was heart breaking to part with my mint Figaro but I figure I can always get the new version with preamp - LF339i from ShenZhenAudio.

So here are my summary thoughts of each amps:-
(I'm using the ak4490 dac chip in the Questyle CMA 12 because my Yggdrasil is in Canberra.)

SLP Phonitor X - very transparent, very clear but never jarring. Lets you hear the music as it's intended. Lets you sample your headphones as per their sonic signatures.

Questyle CMA Twelve - neutral / slightly warm. An all in one convenient package with an agreeable tone. DAC is not too shabby too but no where near my Yggdrasil and I love my Yggy. :)

Schiit Mjolnir 2 - similar to the CMA but smoother and more palatable. Powerful in balance mode and I really dig this amp despite many good tube amps I've owned - you can see that in my profile. Mjolnir 2 is not even a pure tube amp. More like a hybrid but it's a lovely sound signature. Not too loose not too tight.

Violectric v280 - Kind of the opposite spectrum of the Phonitor X. v280 feels like the Wa22 but with faster transients, tighter and leaner tones and fist tight punch to the bass region. Top end seems less than the Phonitor X that's for sure but it's not lacking. My son loves the v280 !

Woo Audio Wa22 - More laid back, more relax, more bloom, slower, more upfront vocals than the v280. That's no surprise. I do like the Wa22 although it's starting to show it's age and this is version 1. I have good tubes on it though. Power tubes are either Tung Sol 5998 or GEC 6080 or Bendix 6080wb, Mullard GZ32 or Cossor 53ku rectifiers and Ken Rad 6sn7gt drivers or Tung Sol 6J8G bgrp with adapters.

SMSL SP200 - On first listen, I was quite impressed that a $260 2nd hand mint condition amp can produce such energy. It soon became too jarring for me in longer listening session. It will be drop from this comparion.

From this comparison, a few thoughts from me and this is strictly subjective from my hearing, my preference and my music and associated headphones and gear.

I'm down to 3 amps that I short listed. Wa22, v280 and Mjolnir 2. Phonitor X I'm not so sure. It was not my intention to include that in the comparison because that is my friend's amp and I have no intention of buying it.

I've not finish my audition obviously. That will take a week at least but if anything to go by, the Mjolnir 2 has my attention to buy it. I'm happy that my Yggdrasil has finally found a pairing amp after I sold off Ragnarok in 2018. Fancy having discovered Mjolnir 2 at this late stage of my amps journey. It's not too late !

Another friend has a pair of Siemens E88CC halo getter gold pins to sell me cheap and I will buy it for mj2. :)

Oh sadly there are no LSST tubes that came with it but I have 3 x socket savers - very nice ones.

IMG_1688.jpg

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #3,026 of 6,930
Nice write up as usual :)

Thanks letting me try your gears

below is my rank from the test;

WA22 (with those expensive and sexy tube) >>> Phonitor X (yes i am biased) >> MJ2 > Violectric V280 > CMA12

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #3,027 of 6,930
Hey @xtiva thanks for popping by to share your thoughts here and thanks for bringing the 2 amps.

It's interesting - your choice. I mean I like the Wa22 but maybe I've listen too much to tube amps already so a change to solid state and hybrids is like a breath of fresh air.

Phonitor X is very good in my opinion but my next amp whether tube or solid state will be carefully considered. Perhaps just one more and I'll do some culling of my present amps and keep one tube and one solid state amp but that will be too hard !

Strange day today. My son loves the v280 with Hekse so much that he borrow the v280 home. I'm still thoroughly enjoying myself with the Mjolnir 2. I am very impressed that there is no noise with no music playing and I turn the volume knob to max. That is good.

Of course Mjolnir 2 with Amperex Orange globes sounds really good. :)

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #3,028 of 6,930
My journey into desktop setup only started after lock down and WFH this year..... been a DAP and IEM person.. 3 month ago my setup consisted of SMSL SU-8 & SH-8 stack that costed me less than $600..... so my knowledge on audio gear is very shallow...

Experience for me was exact opposite to you...

WA22 was my first time ever to audition full Tube amp, been avoiding as much as I can ...in case I love it..... WA22 was phenomenal amplifier, the separation, sound stage just amazed so much.. it was what I was exactly looking for!!!!

I look for detail, separation and sound stage when choosing a amp and WA22 just exceeded on all 3 trait plus warmth/mellowness at same time which have never been able to find in SS amp.....

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #3,029 of 6,930
You just make my Wa22 appreciate in value. :slight_smile: However as I pointed out to you my pair of Tung Sol 5998 was bought 4 years ago from Vietnam and it arrived as a brand new pair for US$238. Today if you buy a NOS matched pair of 5998 from Woo Audio, that will cost you US$800. :) You can buy cheaper from ebay but show me a pair that's newer than mine and dead silent as mine. I hope this pair last forever.

In any case, when you get my La Figaro 339, let me know what you think about that compared with the Wa22. Just as an aside, I prefer the LF339 over the Wa22. Strange isn't it? LF 339 is like a raw diamond, with power galore and a bass weight that puts the Sumo wrestlers to shame. Top end clarity and sparkle too.

Anyhoo, right now I'm really enjoying the Schiit Mjolnir 2 and I believe the new toy syndrome has disappeared. It's a good mix of slight tube warm with faster transients than the Wa22, tighter with some bite and energy. Listening on the LCD-X and He1000se, it's a joy. With the HD800, it's amazing. There's rhythm, there's sparkle and there's some warmth. Very well done. I can only imagine it stacking on top of Yggdrasil like my previous Ragnarok. It will be beautiful. :wink:

Perfect.JPG

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #3,030 of 6,930
WA22 was my first time ever to audition full Tube amp, been avoiding as much as I can ...in case I love it..... WA22 was phenomenal amplifier, the separation, sound stage just amazed so much.. it was what I was exactly looking for!!!!

After a day of not listening to Wa22 but strictly on Mjolnir 2, I went back to Wa22 again. Headphones are Hekse and LCD-X. Immediately what greeted my ears is liquid gold, mellow smoothness, organic tone and lovely 3D effects. Great details and clarity still. I can see why you're so enamoured with the Wa22. I love it too. Ken Rad and Tung Sol with Mullard are doing their magic.

I'm still liking both the Wa22 and Mjolnir2 presentations. Great contrast here.

I've heard better tube amps imo, with the likes of Glenn OTL and the Studio Six but Wa22 with good tubes can hold it's own. It's hard not to love a classic tube amp, whether they be OTL or transformer coupled. However hybrid such as the Mjolnir 2 has it's distinctive flavour and I find it enjoyable too. The slam effect of the mj2 is really nice. I call it the slam dunks of Michael Jordan 2. There's impact. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back