Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #2,926 of 6,930
I just think my MJ2 is phenomenal hybrid tube amp. The MJ2 is my second fav hybrid tube amp ( the first is my Cavalli Liquid Glass and mostly use it for jamming out to great music. I use my Jotunheim for watching stuff on Netflix or other streaming services. I feel a person can not go wrong in getting a MJ2 with some good Russian NOS tubes. although the MJ2 does sound good with Gold Lions. The MJ2 easily drives all of my headphones and IEM's.

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #2,928 of 6,930
Has anyone tested the SE versus XLR balanced inputs? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to upgrade my DAC. I'm pretty happy with my Bimby right now and it seems to feed the Mj just fine.

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #2,929 of 6,930
Has anyone tested the SE versus XLR balanced inputs? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to upgrade my DAC. I'm pretty happy with my Bimby right now and it seems to feed the Mj just fine.
I have. Fed the Mjolnir 2 with both XLR and SE inputs coming from my RME ADI-2 DAC. The XLR performance is noticeably improved. However, I get the is the same result with my Monolith THX 887. I am unsure if this is due to decreased performance of the RME's RCA outputs in comparison to its XLR outputs, or if it is the result of decreased performance on the Mjolnir2/THX887's RCA vs XLR inputs. Anyone have any experience with a similar situation?

Nov 29, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #2,931 of 6,930
Came here to express my appreciation for the excellent dynamics of the Mjolnir 2. With both LISST and stock 6dj8 tubes, the Mjolnir 2 continues to impress with its enticing bass performance and ability to simultaneously present both loud and the softest of details.

Pretty cool! I'm running the RME Dac with Jotunheim and it's been a lot of fun. I've been thinking of "upgrading" from the Jotunheim though, and Mjolnir 2 is one amp I've looked at. I wish I could find more posts that compare the two (Jotunheim and Mjolnir 2). In any event, pretty nice to read good things about MJ2, thanks.

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #2,933 of 6,930
Pretty cool! I'm running the RME Dac with Jotunheim and it's been a lot of fun. I've been thinking of "upgrading" from the Jotunheim though, and Mjolnir 2 is one amp I've looked at. I wish I could find more posts that compare the two (Jotunheim and Mjolnir 2). In any event, pretty nice to read good things about MJ2, thanks.
To me, Jot was brighter, offered less separation, and a flatter stage.
Mj2 more stage depth, better layering, imaging, more power (if even needed).

Nov 30, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #2,934 of 6,930
Near as I can tell, the Mjolnir 2 uses equally good-sounding processing for its single ended and its balanced outputs. They are indistinguishable to me, using such headphones as HiFiMAN HE1000 (SE and balanced configurations), Grado PS2000e (ditto), Grado GS2000e (ditto), Fostex TH-900 (ditto), and Sony XBA-Z5 IEMs (ditto). The Mjolnir is being fed by a balanced DAC, the Schiit Gungir Multibit.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #2,935 of 6,930
Indeed, I imagine the WA5 is on a league of its own but I own the WA7 myself and the sound signature's between Woo and Schiit are relatively distinctive - probably hard to evaluate how the MJ2 pairs up against Woo's 5 that taken into consideration.

I prefer to keep needs separate, if my speakers needed a power amp I'd rather buy one later on rather than try and get something like the Jotun/Rag and have it do both. That said I do have a Jotunheim on order because I feel it'll be a fantastic device regardless of whether or not I'll ever use the pre-amp functionality.

Sorry for the so ”late” question. I won WA7 and am considering moving to MJ2. Is this smart, how do you compare MJ2 to WA7. Which one do you prefer? thanx

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #2,937 of 6,930
Near as I can tell, the Mjolnir 2 uses equally good-sounding processing for its single ended and its balanced outputs. They are indistinguishable to me, using such headphones as HiFiMAN HE1000 (SE and balanced configurations), Grado PS2000e (ditto), Grado GS2000e (ditto), Fostex TH-900 (ditto), and Sony XBA-Z5 IEMs (ditto). The Mjolnir is being fed by a balanced DAC, the Schiit Gungir Multibit.

Equally good quality wise - probably. But balanced is 8 watts into 32 ohms and SE is 2 watts into 32 ohms.

https://audio-head.com/the-new-schiit-the-schiit-show-2015/

Dec 20, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #2,940 of 6,930
Anybody ever used this with ZMF Headphones? If so, how is/was the synergy?

Sounds pretty great with my Verite Closed. Plenty of punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back