Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Aug 28, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #2,791 of 6,930
Really that would be awesome to go to one of those places in person. I live in Fl its like HiFi doesnt exist here. No stores anyway I have been toying with the idea of opening one somewhere but no idea how market would respond to it as every person I have told to date that I spent $1200 on a pair of headphones thinks Im outta my mind and thats before I tell them bout the $1800 pair and the AMPs and DACs and cables and power conditioners haha. And now tubes on top of that. I dont know it sure would be awesome to run a HiFi audio store but Id prolly have to move to Orlando to get a bigger audience.
Not that I know anything about opening a boutique audio store, but you could potentially open something (even a home compartmentalized area) with appointment only and focus on people that aren't listening and then buying on internet.
Agree though that startup and the margins needed to make it worth it would seem tough.

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #2,792 of 6,930
Not that I know anything about opening a boutique audio store, but you could potentially open something (even a home compartmentalized area) with appointment only and focus on people that aren't listening and then buying on internet.
Agree though that startup and the margins needed to make it worth it would seem tough.
Yeah man I definitely have not looked far enough into it but just something I consider working toward in the future even if its just like you said an appointment only type thing that I can do on the side just because it is something I truly enjoy.

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #2,793 of 6,930
Hey odd question but have any of you Mjolnir 2 owners looked into or know someone who has looked into or managed to upgrade there volume potentiometer to a motorized one that could be used with a remote rather then having to drop another $850 on a Freya.

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #2,794 of 6,930
Hey odd question but have any of you Mjolnir 2 owners looked into or know someone who has looked into or managed to upgrade there volume potentiometer to a motorized one that could be used with a remote rather then having to drop another $850 on a Freya.
It has a custom 4-gang RK27 ALPS volume pot, so not something you’d really want to replace. Just get an Apple remote or control your Mac from your phone and save yourself the hassle :)

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #2,795 of 6,930
fair enough figured id ask

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #2,796 of 6,930
I have been enjoying my brand new Schiit Mjolnir 2 for a few weeks now. One thing I worried about before was the heat. I put the tubes on top of 2 socket savers each so they are placed totally outside the case. My MJ2 does not get hot at all, just warm after a few hours playing. So the worries were not justified.
The Lyr 2 of a friend I had tested before got so hot I almost could not touch the case just about 20 mins after it had been turned on.
I have selected the best sounding tubes for me and so far I can say I am quite happy with my MJ2. So many more details in sound compared to my Vali 2.

Sep 8, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #2,797 of 6,930
Just got MJ2 back from warranty service (a fuse had gone out), and it's working good as ever. Listened to Giulio Cesare last night (Sills as Cleopatra) and it sounded great, though her voice is a little to large for the eighteenth century opera.

Sep 8, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #2,798 of 6,930
Any idea what could have caused the fuse to blow?

Sep 8, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #2,799 of 6,930
Not clear about the wiring in my apartment or how electrical engineering works, but it is theoretically possible that it, my microwave, and my refrigerator are all on the same circuit.

Sep 8, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #2,800 of 6,930
Obviously I don't know what happened to bosiemoncrieff, but when mine blew, it was because I have mine connected to a set of Yamaha HS8 powered monitors. I had the volume at about normal listening level and turned the MJ2 on. When the muting relays closed it caused a loud pop through the monitors and the MJ2 shut down. If an IEC power inlet with an integrated fuse were used, I could have just changed the fuse and been done. Since it was only a few months old, I didn't want to risk voiding my warranty so I shipped it in. Wound up being a $70 fuse. If it happens again, I will replace it myself.

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #2,802 of 6,930
Obviously I don't know what happened to bosiemoncrieff, but when mine blew, it was because I have mine connected to a set of Yamaha HS8 powered monitors. I had the volume at about normal listening level and turned the MJ2 on. When the muting relays closed it caused a loud pop through the monitors and the MJ2 shut down. If an IEC power inlet with an integrated fuse were used, I could have just changed the fuse and been done. Since it was only a few months old, I didn't want to risk voiding my warranty so I shipped it in. Wound up being a $70 fuse. If it happens again, I will replace it myself.

Interesting. So now you turn on your MJ2 first and then the HS8s to avoid that from happening again?

Sep 9, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #2,803 of 6,930
It's always been my practice (as learned from others decades ago), to turn on each item in the chain starting with the source and moving towards the transducer after allowing each box to stabilize, un-mute, etc., and turn off equipment in the opposite direction after turning all volume levels to "0". Pushing one button and turning on all equipment at the same time sounds convenient, or lazy, depending on ones point of view. I've no experience with powered monitors but sounds like an eventual problem just waiting to happen.

Shortcuts may lead to short circuits.

Do you use a spike and surge protector that you plug your gear into?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #2,804 of 6,930
I added a Emotiva balanced volume control between the MJ2 and the HS8s that basically acts as a mute and also turn the MJ2 volume down when I turn it off now. I would turn the HS8s off and do as others said, Gumby, MJ2, HS8s but 1) I'm lazy and 2) the power switches are (you guessed it) in the back of the HS8s and extremely difficult to reach.

Sep 9, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #2,805 of 6,930
I have a 5’ power strip for the audio but I’m not sure if it’s a surge protector. My actual surge protector is fully 12’ and because living in an SF apartment is always a game of outlet Tetris, serves my computer. (The NOT GROUNDED light is illuminated. Not sure what that means. Thankfully the protected light is also on.)

Should I bite the bullet and buy a short genuine certified surge protector for the audio side of things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back