Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Sep 5, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #211 of 6,930

Okay, I'll bite which Russians. And what makes them better than the telefunkens (with the mjo2). 

Well when I say Russians I mean the 6n23p - and that's a pretty vast universe.  Some dim stars, some bright stars - some super novae.

I tested the Upscale Ulm '60 E88CC platinum, some additional Ulm '60's E88CC's and even on e step better the very rare (and super expensive) Ulm '60 E188CC's.

And two very rare Russians beat them all handily in my system.  These are ones being raved about right now on Woo WA2 tube rolling thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/393811/woo-wa2-tube-rolling-recommendations/495

My tests were with the Lyr.

So for the details I suggest my 17 6922 tube shootout review
http://www.head-fi.org/t/761078/6922-tube-review-17-top-6922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes

But the bottom line -these rare Russians had the greatest detail coupled with the finest tone I have heard in a 6922 type tube.  And I have rolled over 50 different types.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #214 of 6,930
What's the price point on the Russian tubes and can they still be obtained?
Well that is an issue, the very best have become extremely rare. But can be had for $150/pr for the '74 Reflektor Silver Shields SWGP in mtached and tested prs. The '75's ( my 'Holy Grail' hence I call them HG's) are harder to find and more expensive $200+/pr. But still cheaper then other legendary 6922's like the '60's Ulm Teles $300+/pr, Siemens early '60s CCa's $400/pr, Amperex 6922 PW's $600/pr.

The guys on the Woo2 tube rolling thread are comparing these top Russians to their stable of favorites, like the CCa's, and are being blown away.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #215 of 6,930
I just got a pair of NOS Ediswan tubes to try in the MJ2, but the main audophile tubes for the MJ2, will be my NOS Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes. However for everyday listening, I will use one of my current production tubes like the Genalex Gold Lions of the Telefunken TK's. Why waist good NOS tubes for a television show. I will be looking at Bobs list of godly NOS tubes for my next purchase.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #216 of 6,930
Well that is an issue, the very best have become extremely rare. But can be had for $150/pr for the '74 Reflektor Silver Shields SWGP in mtached and tested prs. The '75's ( my 'Holy Grail' hence I call them HG's) are harder to find and more expensive $200+/pr. But still cheaper then other legendary 6922's like the '60's Ulm Teles $300+/pr, Siemens early '60s CCa's $400/pr, Amperex 6922 PW's $600/pr.

The guys on the Woo2 tube rolling thread are comparing these top Russians to their stable of favorites, like the CCa's, and are being blown away.

That is good to know, and sad to see the prices rise, I wish people were not so greedy, but such is life. Its good one can get the holy grails, I might have to start saving up.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #217 of 6,930
That is good to know, and sad to see the prices rise, I wish people were not so greedy, but such is life. Its good one can get the holy grails, I might have to start saving up.

It's just a matter of supply, there are just so many of these very specific tubes. Look at how much Upscale has raised the price of their Ulm '60's Teles. In just a year. But the prices wouldn't be going up if folks were dissappointed in the sound. The opposite the word of mouth is there. Unlike amps, hp's, cables, etc which depreciate in time, these have appreciated considerably. There will always be folks who will pay for the best, and money is no object.

Without collectors like us, how many of these great tubes would be at the bottom if scrap heaps.

But not to dissuade the folks just starting out with tube gear, even an excellent pr of Amperex OG's, Tesla E88CC's or Voskhod 6n23p '75s will be a major stepup over the stock tubes. And they're all available under $90/pr.

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #218 of 6,930
Just pulled the string on a MJ2, thank you all for the great info and looking forward to trying it out with my Platinum Telefunkin E88CC's.  Love these tubes in my Lyr 2 with GMB.  Might have to turn the Lyr into solid state with LYSST.

Anyone have Amperex  PQ 6922 Orange in MJ2, have a set coming?

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #219 of 6,930
I tried all my tubes in the MJ2, including some Amperex, and they all provide the same sound in the MJ2 that they do in the Lyr 2. I'm beginning to think of the Mjolnir like a balanced Lyr because they both respond to tube changes so similarly. I also use the LISST in the Lyr at work and that works great.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #221 of 6,930
@reddog I'm not sure if I'm following the thread properly but you bought a Mjolnir 2? How does it compare to your Ragnarok? Actually how does the Mjolnir 2 / Gungnir stack fare against the Ragnarok / Yggdrasil?

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #223 of 6,930
@reddog
 I'm not sure if I'm following the thread properly but you bought a Mjolnir 2? How does it compare to your Ragnarok? Actually how does the Mjolnir 2 / Gungnir stack fare against the Ragnarok / Yggdrasil?

I have ordered the Mjolnir 2 but it will not arrive till tomorrow. I will compare it to the Ragnarok,. I will compare the Gungnir Multibit/ MJ2 to the Yggy/ Rag. I will some impressions on these two combos, then I will write up proper review comparing and contrasting these Schiit combos.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #224 of 6,930
I have ordered the Mjolnir 2 but it will not arrive till tomorrow. I will compare it to the Ragnarok,. I will compare the Gungnir Multibit/ MJ2 to the Yggy/ Rag. I will some impressions on these two combos, then I will write up proper review comparing and contrasting these Schiit combos.

I'm so excited for you!! I'm hoping that it's not that far of a difference though and I will get the cheaper offering. Hopefully, lol.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #225 of 6,930
I'm so excited for you!! I'm hoping that it's not that far of a difference though and I will get the cheaper offering. Hopefully, lol.

The MJ2 8 watts of balanced tube goodness, is what finally made me throttle my poor wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back