Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Aug 20, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #16 of 6,930
I know it's early yet, but I'm considering an amp upgrade for my Fostex TH-900, and I've been wondering if this might be a great option. However, since I'd be running it unbalanced, does anyone have an estimate on whether that would be worthwhile? Wondering if this makes sense for someone who may not use the balanced connection. 

I like the idea of buying a balanced-capable amp now to run with my Bifrost Uber, with the possibility of using it in balanced mode (with appropriate balanced DAC) some time in the future.

What do you all think?

EDIT: I'm currently using an Asgard 2! Also interested in the same question for those with a Ragnarok.

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 6,930
^ to future-proof sounds like a solid plan but I would wait for real listening impressions rather than estimates.

It does seem from Jason's just-posted chapter in the Schiit happened thread that a lot of thought and (Ragnarok-based) tech went into the summer that produces the SE output. But that's just an estimate!

Wait for impressions. I doubt you'll have to wait long.

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #18 of 6,930

I probably would have just waited. But I can certainly understand wanting to get your new stuff ASAP, especially if you already have tubes you can run while you wait for your LISST's. 

What's another $8 on a $2300 order...lol

Got notification it shipped today, minus the LISST.

Aug 20, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #21 of 6,930
So what are the best tubes for this? I'm mainly interested in smooth mids and good bass. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #22 of 6,930
So what are the best tubes for this? I'm mainly interested in smooth mids and good bass. 

I would go for gold lions, they have good bass and smooth, lush like mids. The gold lions are current production tubes and you might want to get NOS tubes which sound very nice but can cost more.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #23 of 6,930
Good recommendation from reddog but as well...IME same tubes sound different with different amps. And individual hearing. You just gotta try them and find what 'works'. Tube-rolling can take time, money and sometimes is a pain. Or enjoyable if you like the search :wink:

Biggest plus with tubes is the ability to "tune" your amp. I found Lyr (v1) very responsive to rolling and I suspect Mjolnir 2 might be too.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #24 of 6,930

In my dads Lyr2 he really likes made in Holland Amperex 6DJ8's. I've listened to them and think they are really nice for the price, and picked up a vintage pair myself. His were $50 and mine were $45 for the pair.

He has Gold Lions as well, but they collect dust, and I agree the vintage amperex are considerably better. Smoother, more detailed, larger soundstage, and more fluid. Nicer in every regard.

Just beware of microphonic tubes, I have a tube tester and had to send back 2 pairs of the Amperex before I got a decent set for my dad.

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #25 of 6,930
Mjolnir 2 being a hybrid tube, I wonder how does it sound comparing to a pure tube amp. I have no listening experience from tube amp, so if any folks would like to share any brief comment, that would be very helpful. And I appreciate it. Mjolnir 2 is an interesting product and I am looking at it with great interest too.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #26 of 6,930
In my dads Lyr2 he really likes made in Holland Amperex 6DJ8's. I've listened to them and think they are really nice for the price, and picked up a vintage pair myself. His were $50 and mine were $45 for the pair.

He has Gold Lions as well, but they collect dust, and I agree the vintage amperex are considerably better. Smoother, more detailed, larger soundstage, and more fluid. Nicer in every regard.

Just beware of microphonic tubes, I have a tube tester and had to send back 2 pairs of the Amperex before I got a decent set for my dad.

Thanks. Yeah, I had orange globes in my lyr a few years back before I sold it and liked them a lot. . I just ordered another pair for my Mjlonir2.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #27 of 6,930
Mjolnir 2 being a hybrid tube, I wonder how does it sound comparing to a pure tube amp. I have no listening experience from tube amp, so if any folks would like to share any brief comment, that would be very helpful. And I appreciate it. Mjolnir 2 is an interesting product and I am looking at it with great interest too.

I have an Elekit TU-8200DX all tube amp, and will have the MJ2 middle of next week. So a comparison will follow a few days later.

Compared to my dad's Lyr2, the Elekit is more lush in the mids and bottom end, overall a more laid-back sound. The Lyr2 is quick and precise, with more detail, but lags when it comes to soundstage.

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #28 of 6,930
I have an Elekit TU-8200DX all tube amp, and will have the MJ2 middle of next week. So a comparison will follow a few days later.

Compared to my dad's Lyr2, the Elekit is more lush in the mids and bottom end, overall a more laid-back sound. The Lyr2 is quick and precise, with more detail, but lags when it comes to soundstage.

Thanks for the insight on Lyr2 comparison. I look forward to your impression. Congrats on getting MJ2. 
gs1000.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #29 of 6,930
Just got notification that my LISST's shipped USPS priority
biggrin.gif

Funny thing is that they will arrive before the rest of the order that shipped yesterday Fed Ex...lol

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #30 of 6,930
My MJ2 arrived yesterday. I just finished setting it up  (it's replacing an Emotiva XSP-1 as a preamp in addition to headphone use).

I don't have the best tubes in it at the moment, figured I'd let it burn in for a while with something I wouldn't miss too much if something went wrong and they blew up... but even with the tubes I'm using, it sounds great.  I'll reserve judgement until it's had some time to burn in and I swap in better tubes. My Yggy also got powered off for the first time since I bought it (tail end of the 1st batch) and was off for an hour or so, so that needs to warm up as well.

LISST will be here next week.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back