Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Feb 22, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #2,446 of 6,930
Reply from Laura Z. at Schiit:

Thank you for your order. We anticipate receiving Mjolnir 2 boards from our board house at the end of the month (February) and resuming production at that time. Once production resumes, we will begin shipping backorders. Part delays postponed production which pushed back availability dates.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #2,449 of 6,930
I had both of them, end up selling my mj2. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying pa is better than Mj2, I just prefer PA, cause the sound is softer, warmer and more peaceful and colorful. However, mj2 wins in sound stage, power, and sorta more detailed, and mj has balanced output which pa doesn’t have.
It’s hard to find a amp has a sound signature as mature as pa in this price range, it’s also hard to get one with such outstanding SQ as mj2 as well...so It’s a hard to pick one from these 2.
The case is, if you don’t want to upgrade your system in the short future, I suggest you go for PA, cause it’s easy to get one amp has better sq than both in a higher price range. But it’s hard to get one has such a mature sound signature in even higher price range, you probably need to raise your budget to $2000 to get a amp that can deliver the same feeling as pa do.
Thanks for the thoughtful information.

I see there is some good news that the MJ2 might be over its long production drought soon. I kind of wanted balanced to go along with my new HD800s headphones. Decisions, decisions. Sometimes the wanting is as much fun as the getting.

And I also have other hobbies that are attracting my entertainment dollars. Do I really need another amp?

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #2,450 of 6,930
The Mjolnir 2 was recommended to me by Grado Labs after I had laid down over $4,000 to purchase their PS2000e and GS2000e in balanced configuration. I have two balanced amps already (Sennheiser HDVD800 and HiFiMAN EF-6, the formerly purchased for my HD800 and the latter for my HE1000 headphones).

However, neither of these was really suited for the 32 ohm input impedance of the Grados. For example. The output impedance of the Sennheiser is 43 ohms, great for the 300-600 ohm input impedance of the HD800s, but over 10 times too high for the Grados.

I am hoping that the Mjolnir 2 will be at least as good for my HE1000s as my EF-6, so that I can sell the EF-6 and not have an additional big heavy amp taking up space. I certainly expect it to be great for my Grados, as was the Lyr 2 I sold to get the Mjolnir.

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #2,451 of 6,930
I found EF6 unrefined when I listened to it in LA on HE-6 and Susvara. You'd do better with an integrated amp for the super power hungry cans. MJ2 has oodles of power for everything else; even if/when I buy something like the WA5 or WA22 that supersedes it in certain ways, I doubt I will sell mine. It is too good at too many things, despite not perhaps being the final word in anything. For the money, though, you can do no better. I haven't heard HDVD's analog section in isolation, but its DAC is so bad that it caused me pain at Sennheiser SF. Either way, though, MJ2 plays very nicely with HD800 and a Bimby (or especially Gumby) will do much nicer things for the music than anything out of Wedemark.

Feb 27, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #2,452 of 6,930
Last weekend I drove up to Schiit’s storefront in Santa Clarita and did a mini-comparison involving Mjolnir 2.

Even though I already had an MJ2 on order, I wanted to hear what it sounded like next to all of Schiit's offerings, and also sample the Gungnir. It was good timing and there was only a couple in the next room listening to Michael Jackson's 'Bad' on the Yggy and Rag, and once they left, I had the place all to myself.

As I was mainly interested in comparing my Modi Multibit on their tube/hybrid amps, the gentleman at the counter was nice enough to allow me to carefully shift their gear around at the listening stations on their Win10 tablets. I brought both Sennheiser SE and balanced cabling for my HD800's that are stock other than Dekoni velour pads.

Using Tidal, I listened to the first track from Lisa Batiashvili's 'Visions of Prokofiev' for soundstage and treble and for an electronic track 'Bilder' by John Digweed, which has an immediate upfront bass kick.

Using Mimby and balanced out of Mjolnir 2, the bass slam and articulation on the Digweed track were on their own level. The power of the bass had me momentarily questioning if I had not accidentally picked up a different set of headphones, because even with Loki bass EQ +12dB at home, this is not something I've heard out of the Vali 2. The soundstage opened up magnificently. On the negative, the HD800 treble on both the classical and electronic track was considerably more piercing on the MJ2 than on any other setup I tried that day (although I did not try the Jotunheim, which is reportedly a much poorer match). The experience rapidly had me thinking about what type of tubes I would need to roll to take the edge off the highs. That being said, there was no question in my mind that I needed to have the Mjolnir 2 sound in my setup, even if I decided I didn't want to listen to it for 8 hours straight. It was much too impressive and unique. I also tried MJ2 with Gungnir (non-MB, I believe) but I preferred the smoother, less detailed Mimby on the HD800's.

Going back to Vali 2, it became obvious how laidback this amp sounds in comparison. It's like getting out of a Yukon into a Volkswagen. Definitely a smaller soundstage, but the least fatiguing setup there except perhaps for the Magni 3 which I momentarily tried (and was impressed with, but I like tubes). Super pleasant, but the bass response is nothing compared to the MJ2.

My suprise for the day was how much I liked Valhalla 2. I thought it was pretty laidback like Vali 2 but more clarity and small touch of some euphonic magic in the mids somewhere that was difficult to put a finger on but could be felt at times. It seemed to do everything a hair better than Vali 2. The difference in bass wasn't that much, but soundstage and detail both improved. I really nice amp.

Lyr 2 hit harder than Valhalla 2 or Vali 2, as might be expected. While it was definitely a high-quality impressive amp, there wasn't anything that jumped out at me that made me want to buy it and pair it with my 800's. I'd say it probably had a larger soundstage than Valhalla 2 and more clarity, but there wasn't really much tubiness I could discern. For some people, this is probably a bonus, but on the 800's, it didn't grab me personally. Perhaps with a warmer set of tubes, I'd have had a stronger opinion. There were also no planar magnetics around to test, as all pairs were in NYC for CanJam I was told. While good, the bass on the MJ2 is still a league above.

So, in conclusion, I'm looking forward to my MJ2, but I'm definitely going to need the right tubes to get the sound I want.

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #2,453 of 6,930
@roshambo ... I settled on GE 5670W 5 Star ... smooth and articulate delivery and not too expensive for a pair. They do need converters which I sourced from China and took a while to reach me. There are alternatives in the 6922 (etc) family ... some European ones are quite expensive but excellent SQ. The tube-rolling thread may give you some pointers.

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #2,457 of 6,930
I got a new invoice on my Mjolnir2 order today (placed Dec. 27), indicating that it is ready to Schiit er... SHIP!

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #2,458 of 6,930
@roshambo ... I settled on GE 5670W 5 Star ... smooth and articulate delivery and not too expensive for a pair. They do need converters which I sourced from China and took a while to reach me. There are alternatives in the 6922 (etc) family ... some European ones are quite expensive but excellent SQ. The tube-rolling thread may give you some pointers.

Thanks, haven't checked out those GE's. How are the highs and soundstage? Are you listening on 800's?

I've taken a look in a lot of the tube rolling threads (damn near all I could find) and my research points to Amperex Orange Globes as my likely best solution. The reports of some minor warming combined with present but not emphasized treble seems like a good solution for what I'm trying to do, assuming the dynamics and bass holdup. For the hell of it, even though they may suck, I'm trying out some Nationals, since they're cheap(ish). I'm ruling out Voskhods (reportedly too bright), Telefunken (too expensive), Mullard (again reportedly too trebley), Electroharmonix (I bought a 6CG7 for my Vali 2 and it was way too compressed and non-resolving, given my system is not super resolving to start with...). Basically, all roads seem to lead to Holland.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #2,459 of 6,930
@roshambo ... Headphones I use with the MJ2 + GE5670W-5* are Senn HD650 (balanced) and MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open (single-ended). As you probably know, HD-650 are quite warm overall and AFO (with black tuning pads) just warm to me. I don't own HD-800.

I play mostly Jazz ensemble and the soundstage, especially with the AFO, is remarkably good. The ambient background is deep and detailed ... instruments are easy to place and nicely layered. Width, in the context of the music genre, is plenty wide, within the limitations of the headphones. Certainly good enough for the music I listen to. I could imagine on HD-800 this would be excellent. Highs on cymbals have an authentic sounding splash & zing with a satisfying extended shimmer. However, my ears may not be the youngest on the block !!

I know some folks also favour the WE396A tubes (also need converters), which I've not been able to source in Europe at a sensible price.

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #2,460 of 6,930
Very interesting, I appreciate the detailed description! Definitely seems like one to consider, especially since prices seem very reasonable (if I'm looking at the right thing.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back