Schiit Magni/Modi combo for Grado SR80i/Koss PortaPro/Other headphones TBD: Best setup for the price?
Jan 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

g0ldeng0pher

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at buying the new Schiit Magni and Modi headphone amp/DAC combo for $200. Before I do, I wanted to get input on what people thought of that rig, versus other things at or below that price, for pairing with the headphones I've currently got.

Headphones are Koss PortaPro and SR80i, which are getting a Mogami mini-quad re-cable just like in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/461915/a-pic-by-pic-grado-sr80-recable-thread

Any thoughts/opinions? This will be my first amp/DAC rig for desktop use, so I've nothing to compare it to.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 3
My other question is this: Could I use an iPad 4 as my source somehow, rather than my laptop, for this rig? Concerned because the DAC runs off USB power, and would therefore need to somehow plug in the iPad to a power source (via the lightning connection) while simultaneously getting the line-out signal from it (also via the lightning connection). 

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 3
Have you considered the Asgard?

I'm in the same boat-but w/ 225i.

I've been advised to go with the Schiit Asgard-it is more expensive-but, having asked a similiar question-I got a number of responses that their Grados and the Asgard paired quite well, whereas the Modi was a little bright. Since Grados tend to be bright to begin w/ maybe it would sort of reinforce that tendency. The Little Dot 1+ was also recommended for my Grado cans-but that's a tube hybrid. I wasn't planning on spending $250 for my first amp-but I've been convinced it's very good quality in terms of price point. If you look at Cnet review of the Valhalla and Asgard, the reviewer specifically mentions pairing either of those two w/ the 225i ( I know you have an 80-but they are in the same lineage) and the Schiit website specifically mentions Grado cans w/ the Asgard-so that's where I'm leaning.....

Of course, I haven't heard any of these amps personally, so take my comments w/ a grain of salt :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back