Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #856 of 2,252
I should point out that the Magni to my ears doesn't add even a touch of warmth. Maybe it does to some, but not to me. At least I can't hear it. I like this though..
Of course you could always use a different source.

Exactly how I feel.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #858 of 2,252
Quote:
It added warmth to the AD700, but that's not hard to do.

Are you sure it's not the DAC? Sometimes when an amp is super duper ultra transparent, it's easy to be fooled. I am sometimes.
I did this for about forever with my Micro Amp. I kept say it had a small soundstage, blah blah blah and it was my HRT MSII. Ooops.

LOD Ipod Touch 2G to Magni is the coldest sounding setup i've ever heard. Even more so than my ODAC, which is just weird saying that.
The Clip+ in comparison sounds like the PS1/SCPH-1001 on the Magni
biggrin.gif

I have an AD700, so i'll try it out.

BTW I tried my Koss A/250 and no extra warmth there. I think that has thinner mids than even the DT-880/K702 (K702 has a very slight touch of warmth IMO). One of the few headphones that might sound amazing with a very warm sounding tube amp.  That headphone is so hard to like.

Off to try the K601 and AD700 with the Magni...

Wish I still had the K501..I miss it.

NOTE: I'm only up to 10 hours or so on the Magni, so it's possible something else may change. Best not to go there..

BTW when connecting the Magni up to a surge protector, there is some extra warmth due to being the sound screwed up. Sounds impossible right? It's very hard to detect, but it's there. I only heard it with my DJ100 and HD-650 (more forward low mids). I even went out and bought a more expensive surge protector. I think it's just adding in some distortion or something. I have no idea. I now don't think it's the noise filters, but something else. It's one thing i've never figured out. Both of my amps have this issue and sound better straight from the wall. I can't detect an ounce of difference on my Q701 really.

EDIT: I'm trying to do some research and it could be due to metal oxide varistors (MOVs) in my surge protectors. There's another type of surge protector that might be better. It's this type:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surge_protector#Transient_voltage_suppression_.28TVS.29_diode

Found one on Amazon, but it's $33. I don't even know if this is the cause. Again, it's 100% NOT the Magni's fault. I have this issue with every headphone amp.

Edit again: If anyone is curious, I found an old surge protector labeled as the Transient Voltage Suppression type listed above. I can't detect any degraded sound like with the MOV versions. At least not yet. So I guess i'll avoid the MOV versions for my headphone amps. OK, maybe it's just that the ones I have are cheap, but I did try an ISOBAR4 which is a bit higher quality I'd imagine. So glad to figure out this weird mystery. I imagine it's not an issue for 99% of everyone else.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #859 of 2,252
Well, extra warmth with Modi and Magni combined.  I tend to think of them as one.  Also I use my own EQ for the AD700, so what you're hearing might not be what I'm hearing.  I'm also comparing it to iMac 27'' onboard sound.  I had the EQ on before and after the schiit stack.  The EQ combined with AD700's added comfort actually didn't make me miss the HE-400 that much.  Although there's no getting around the HE-400's bass.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #860 of 2,252
Im afraid of hooking them up straight to the wall in Florida thunderstorms...

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #861 of 2,252
Quote:
Quote:
Excuse me if this have been answered before, but would the Magni be capable of driving the DT880 600ohm and q701  to at least, usable levels?

Yes, the Magni will drive the Q701 with ease. With my ODAC and everything set to 100%, I only need 25% volume on the Magni for my Q701.

I haven't tried the DT-880 600 ohm yet with it, but I have a 600 ohm Sextett. It has ZERO problems with it and has no lack of volume and sounds amazing.

I should point out that the Magni to my ears doesn't add even a touch of warmth. Maybe it does to some, but not to me. At least I can't hear it. I like this though..
Of course you could always use a different source.

I'm sure people have seen my updates, but I do now love the Magni with the Q701. I prefer my Micro Amp for it, but that's much more expensive.
I just know that the Magni is a bit better than the E9 for the Q701.

Seriously, if there's a headphone out there that requires past 90% volume with the Magni and ODAC I wouldn't believe it...maybe the K1000?
biggrin.gif

Of course if you use a very weak source you'll need to crank the volume up much higher. A docked Ipod for example would need a lot more..

Seriously? That seems like a lot of volume.
Retina MacBook Pro -> ODAC -> O2 at 1.0x gain -> K 701. With the Audirvana Plus program, I have the system volume usually set at -27 dB (which is about 3 "clicks" with the native Mac OS X volume settings), O2 at about 1-o'clock and I get plenty of volume out of the K 701. If I turned my system volume on max (0 dB in Audirvana Plus), I would probably go deaf with the K 701's on my head even at the lowest volume levels with the O2....and probably even worse if I have the 2.5x gain switch on.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #862 of 2,252
Is it ok to plug the Magni's wallwart into a standard extension cord?  I have the Magni and Mixamp sitting next to me on the couch while I game/watch a movie and the outlet I prefer to use is a good 10 feet away (there's another one closer to me, but the cord would have to go in front of me instead of off to the side, and the wallwart is still to short to reach the closer outlet).

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #864 of 2,252
Quote:
Is the Magni too powerful for quiet Q701 listening?  I generally listen at about half volume on my iPhone.

No, not at all. You can always adjust the volume controls in windows if needed, so you don't giving yourself hearing damage when you crank the amp to 100%.
Actually even if I cranked it on accident it wouldn't cause much harm. Not a good idea though.

If you have a LOD cable or dock for your Iphone, that would be perfect for the Magni. Probably much less volume.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #865 of 2,252
Quote:
Is it ok to plug the Magni's wallwart into a standard extension cord?  I have the Magni and Mixamp sitting next to me on the couch while I game/watch a movie and the outlet I prefer to use is a good 10 feet away (there's another one closer to me, but the cord would have to go in front of me instead of off to the side, and the wallwart is still to short to reach the closer outlet).

Should be fine - be sure it's a safe cord and all - since the M and M draw very little power. As long as it sounds fine, go for it ... 
beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #866 of 2,252
Quote:
Should be fine - be sure it's a safe cord and all - since the M and M draw very little power. As long as it sounds fine, go for it ... 
beerchug.gif

This is gonna sound stupid, but what do you mean by safe?  Like match the power draw of the wallwart to the extension cord's rated throughput? The one I have is your basic 3-outlet (2-prongs) household extension cord that I got at Target or Walmart.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #867 of 2,252
Quote:

This is gonna sound stupid, but what do you mean by safe?  Like match the power draw of the wallwart to the extension cord's rated throughput? The one I have is your basic 3-outlet (2-prongs) household extension cord that I got at Target or Walmart.

Ideally, you'll always have a three-prong plug going into a three-prong extension cord which is going into a three-prong outlet. When you cannot do this, it's probably best to use a cheater plug and then a three-prong, protected power strip into the cheater plug, as opposed to a two-prong to three-prong extension cord.

That being said, I don't believe you're taking much risk with the Magni specifically because it does not have a high power draw.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #868 of 2,252
Quote:
Ideally, you'll always have a three-prong plug going into a three-prong extension cord which is going into a three-prong outlet. When you cannot do this, it's probably best to use a cheater plug and then a three-prong, protected power strip into the cheater plug, as opposed to a two-prong to three-prong extension cord.

That being said, I don't believe you're taking much risk with the Magni specifically because it does not have a high power draw.

Ah, ok. Thanks!

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #869 of 2,252
Quote:
Well, extra warmth with Modi and Magni combined.  I tend to think of them as one.  Also I use my own EQ for the AD700, so what you're hearing might not be what I'm hearing.  I'm also comparing it to iMac 27'' onboard sound.  I had the EQ on before and after the schiit stack.  The EQ combined with AD700's added comfort actually didn't make me miss the HE-400 that much.  Although there's no getting around the HE-400's bass.

Am I missing something here? I'm currently running an Fiio E11 with HE-400's, high gain, bass/eq set at 2 on the amp and the bass is not as strong as many make it out to be. I dont have much experience but ultrasone 900's gave my good ears a good rattle/shake when the song called for it. The same song does not come even close with my HE-400s. Is it just my amp that can't drive these to have powerful/impactful bass?

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #870 of 2,252
Thats because the Pro 900 has one of the strongest mid bass emphasis out for audiophile headphones.

Huge emphasis =/= good bass. The HE400 considerably more sub bass, and great bass overall. Once you acclimate yourself to the HE400 bass, the Pro900's sounds quite oversaturated and fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back