Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 13, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #46 of 2,252
I'm the guy who got to take the photos of the Magni and got to spend some extended listening time with serial#0001. I can tell you that the Magni is an impressive sounding amp for $399...except that its only $99! It was a crazy good match for my Grados, sounded fantastic with my LCD2's and even drove HE-4's to credible levels, tho that last pairing wasn't one I'd say was the best. The size is fantastic as is the build quality...no surprise there.
I would describe the sound as fast, clean and very dynamic. Bass is tight rather than bloated. You won't mistake it for a SE tube amp...it's Solid State is all its glory. I was shocked at how impact full the snare drums sounded. I'm not used to that nice sharp crack coming from Amos at this price point.
Needless to say, a Modi/Magni stack will grace the desk in my studio for some time to come.
Highly recommended!

Thanks for that. So in your opinion you think it's comparable to Amps in the $300+ price range?

Have you heard of the Asgard or Lyr? How would you compare it to those two?

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #47 of 2,252
According to Jason, that's the distortion of the amp with the wallwart, so with a linear power supply, that could be quite an improvement

The wallwart is a "16VAC transformer", so internally there is filtering and rectification down to +/- 15VDC. It's most likely a linear power supply as is. There's little reason not to make it that way, and a quick look at the board doesn't suggest to me otherwise (though I haven't looked at nearly as many amp internals and bare electronics as many others). As for the benefit of even better power supply filtering, that depends on the design. It's often not a limiting factor, but of course in some audiophile gear designed to do things the hard way, it can be. And usually issues are manifested in noise levels, not as much distortion, as far as I know. If the design has high PSRR, a suitable switched-mode power supply or whatever else may not be any real issue.

Effect of load impedance and output power on distortion figures is going to be a lot greater. For example, if you're citing results at 1V into 600 ohms, who knows what it could be at 4V into 32 ohms.

The modi is; "USB Powered, No Drivers Modi plugs into virtually any computer—Windows or Mac—and requires no drivers to deliver great sound, up to 24/96 sampling rates. It features asynchronous transfer with individual crystal oscillators for the 44.1 and 48k sampling rates, and uses the USB Audio 1.0 standard over USB 2.0, and is powered by the USB port."

Sub optimal in my opinion. PC power is flaky and dirty and better results are usually obtained by a dac that has it's own power supply. If you use this I would at least use an external powered USB hub instead of plugging it straight into a computer. That makes a night and day difference for my HRT MSII.

Again, depends on the design, what they're doing. Obviously they're filtering USB power, hopefully as much as needed, and optimized well. Suboptimal can still be very good (not that I'd assume necessarily off the bat that they did a most excellent superb job, particularly at that price they're charging). DacPort and ODAC do pretty well just off of USB power, for example. Anyway, as you say, you can use a powered hub if you want.

Out of curiosity (sorry, I just have to ask), did you ever run some benchmarks or more formal tests comparing your HRT MSII with the hub and not?

No offense to you or what you say in particular, but USB hubs and power tends to be an area of audio tweakery that IMHO just intuitively makes sense and obviously could make some measurable impact, but the effects ascribed to it often run away into the deep end. Like many other things in audio, I suppose. I'm not saying that weird effects can't happen, but I wouldn't leap to certain conclusions off the bat without more satisfying data.

That said, if you're getting something of ground loop issues connecting to an amp powered from the wall, I guess it could be readily different using a hub or otherwise getting ground from somewhere else.

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #48 of 2,252
Thanks for that. So in your opinion you think it's comparable to Amps in the $300+ price range?
Have you heard of the Asgard or Lyr? How would you compare it to those two?
ive heard the Asgard and I own a Lyr/Bifrost stack. The Lyr sounds better, especially with the Orthos, but the Magni is quieter and runs sooooo much cooler. Add to that that the size is much better for my desktop and that I plan to use it with Grados more often than not, and the Magni becomes my amp of choice for my studio.

Remember that the Magni is a $99 amp that sounds like a $399 amp, but the Lyr is a $449 amp that sounds like a $799 amp. Also worth noting is that I spent as much on the tubes for my Lyr as the whole Magni costs!

All this means that I think the Magni is a very nice amp for the money. I don't think the super-expensive high end amp companies are shaking in their boots about this little dynamo, and they prolly shouldn't be. What they should be doing is thanking Jason for introducing a whole new group of people to the wonders of head-fi with great sounding amps and DAC's on a budget that even us starving artists and college kids can afford.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #50 of 2,252
Quote:
Out of curiosity (sorry, I just have to ask), did you ever run some benchmarks or more formal tests comparing your HRT MSII with the hub and not?
No offense to you or what you say in particular, but USB hubs and power tends to be an area of audio tweakery that IMHO just intuitively makes sense and obviously could make some measurable impact, but the effects ascribed to it often run away into the deep end. Like many other things in audio, I suppose. I'm not saying that weird effects can't happen, but I wouldn't leap to certain conclusions off the bat without more satisfying data.
That said, if you're getting something of ground loop issues connecting to an amp powered from the wall, I guess it could be readily different using a hub or otherwise getting ground from somewhere else.

I have not done any measurements but the difference is huge. Sort of like the difference between watching a movie on a screen that has a bit of grain, unsteady and poor color saturation versus looking at something smooth, steady and with good color saturation. The most noticeable difference is that the bass has a great deal more authority with the powered usb hub but it affects the whole spectrum and among other things makes imaging more palpable and steady. I have used the MSII with two different pre amps, one of them is passive, (not connected to the wall) so no ground loop issues come into this.

If you have a usb powered dac there is no harm in trying this. A powered usb hub is useful whether or not you connect your dac to it and in the context of audio pricing it costs very little.

HRT says:

http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/music-streamer-ii

"Powered by and connected to a host computer's USB bus, the MS II's circuit design and execution is on par with the more expensive Music Streamers, all of which boast a unique topology that, in totally isolating their power supplies from those of the host computers, allows an unprecedented degree of electronic isolation and quieting from these machines, so that having to listen to your computer's nasty background noise and other sonic grunge along with your music is now a thing of the past."

While I did not specifically hear the computer's background noise and grunge, to me it made a hash of the sound coming out of this thing.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #51 of 2,252
Definitely going to get one of these, but until the 230v wall wart issue is resolved my hands are tied. Can anyone that receives their Magni please post the specs of the wall wart? Volts, amps, diameter/type of connection that would be fantastic.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #53 of 2,252
wow interesting, so basically an amp/dac stack for 200 bucks

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #54 of 2,252
Quote:
The modi is; "USB Powered, No Drivers Modi plugs into virtually any computer—Windows or Mac—and requires no drivers to deliver great sound, up to 24/96 sampling rates. It features asynchronous transfer with individual crystal oscillators for the 44.1 and 48k sampling rates, and uses the USB Audio 1.0 standard over USB 2.0, and is powered by the USB port."

Sub optimal in my opinion. PC power is flaky and dirty and better results are usually obtained by a dac that has it's own power supply. If you use this I would at least use an external powered USB hub instead of plugging it straight into a computer. That makes a night and day difference for my HRT MSII.

Hooster,

Could you shoot me a link to a good external powered USB hub?

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #55 of 2,252
This one works very well for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-7-Port-Desktop-Pass-Through-ACH81US/dp/B000I3XIE4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355404372&sr=1-1&keywords=targus+powered+usb+hub

It gets varied reviews but I suspect it will work very well if you don't overload it with other items in addition to your DAC. Probably best to use it just with the DAC.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #59 of 2,252
Quote:

At some point I'll get the Aqvox USB power supply for my Hiface Two (not a hub though).

http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

Good idea. For a discussion about this issue and various solutions see

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/14222-Tip-for-HRT-Music-Streamer-owners.-Probably-also-valid-for-other-USB-audio-devices.?highlight=music+streamer+hrt

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #60 of 2,252

>Esterbrook SJ
Schiit guys confirmed for good taste in pens.

Sexy design as always; the ridiculously low price point of these has really got me curious.
Definitely interested, and keeping an eye out - they'll make awesome recommendations to budding headphone/PC audio enthusiasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back