1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by barry s, Dec 12, 2012.
Tags:
First

Back
94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103
105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114
Next

Last
  1. Byronb
    There is a difference for sure, I use my M&M for travel and I enjoy it immensely. They are not so drastically different that you will not enjoy one or the other. In my opinion having a DAC is important, so to start off without one wouldn't be the way to go. If you could swing a Modi and a Valhala that would be awesome. But, if that is not possible then I would recommend the M&M stack. Others will have a different opinion.
    Make sure you have the highest quality audio files possible. Also, understand that some music is just poorly engineered and recorded and no amount of gear that you can purchase will fix that.
    Most importantly don't let anyone on this site or anywhere else tell you what you can or cannot hear. This is a very subjective hobby, we all hear differently, we all have our own taste. Enjoy the music and it will all be good.

westinlennox and Entreri like this.
  2. Entreri
    Quote:

Excellent, your post pretty much answered all the questions and erased any doubts that I had. It also enhanced my opinion of the Head-Fi community, of which I'm very new to. Everyone has been extremely helpful and meeting some of you at the London meet was great!

Sometimes when reading threads, I have to remind myself that it is all very subjective, like you said, and one persons view on something will not necessarily reflect my own. Hopefully I'll enjoy what Schiit will bring to my listening experience.

I do wish the UK had the same prices as the USA for Schiit gear though. If it were, I could afford both the Valhala and Modi. But as this is not the case, I'll be getting the MM and in the future look to upgrade if need be!

Thanks! [​IMG]

3. Byronb
    You are very welcome, I am confident you will be happy with the M&M stack. 

4. vaed
    I find it interesting that the magni outputs more power than the asgard at 1.2W versus 1W @ 32ohms. Does this mean they drive low impedance cans better than the Asgard?

5. PoliHigh
    My Sugden integrated has no headphone out so...

I have Been looking at the M&M for a while and jumped on a used one with a Pyst cable and USB cable for a deal. I should have posted this before I purchased to make sure this setup would work but oh well. I want to be able to listen to my laptop and vinyl with the Magni

*I wan to run the Modi DAC into my tuner input on my Sugden integrated(only open input)and the tape output from the Sugden into the Magni amp, will this work? (Using my Sugden as a preamp basically I think) I hope I didn't just buy this for nothing

This setup sounds great with my hd650 when I borrowed an amp
    Rega RP1 w/ Ortofon Blue
    Cambridge Audio 540P
    Sugden A25B
    Vintage Kef speakers for non headphone use

Thanks Folks!

IMAG0136.jpg

6. Tuco1965
    I use the tape out on my Yamaha receiver to feed my Lyr when I want to switch between several sources at once.  Works fine, so you should be good to go.  The rest of the time it's direct source into Lyr.

7. PoliHigh
    Quote:
    Thought so but wanted to double check, thanks! Tuco1965

8. Entreri
    Regarding the Magni/Modi stack. I know it's USB only. I'm going to be using it with my gaming PC. So I need a printer-like USB cable from the stack to my PC. 

Is it possible to use my iPod as a source? For example, if I'm across the room and do not want to keep going back to the PC to change a song, is there a way of controlling my music at a distance from the PC using my iPod/phone? And what cables would I need to do so?

Hope this isn't a stupid question ><

9. Byronb
    JRiver Media Center will allow you to use your iPhone/iPod touch as a remote.

Entreri likes this.
  10. Entreri
    Quote:

To my rescue again, thanks. Just ordered the MM stack and PYST cables! Can't wait!

[​IMG]

11. AK7579
    Apple also has a remote app that you can use to control iTunes if that is what you use as a media player.

12. Byronb
    AK is correct, I let my anti iTunes bias show through. My apologies. 

Awesome you are even closer to some sweet sounds!!!

13. Entreri
    Quote:

I have an android phone and a iPod classic lol, I have also been using Foobar too as my player. But with Jriver, I read with Gizmo I can use my android phone as a remote for its player.

Are there any other equivalent of the remote app you were talking about for Android or Foobar? Not really a big fan of itunes either. Haven't used it in years but may switch back if it's convenient.

Would be great to be able to control song choice and playlists from a distance if that's possible?

14. Skolar311
    Quote:

There is an Android app for Foobar2000 that lets you control the songs in Foobar on any PC within your network. Look up foobar in the android market and then follow the instructions on how to set up the media server. The app is a little buggy, but works pretty well.

Entreri likes this.
  15. Impulse
    There's several such apps actually (foobar remotes).

First

Back
94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103
105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114
Next

Last