Schiit Magni 3 issues - can anyone help me with a diagnosis? (located in Australia)
May 23, 2020 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Silvergun Superman

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

My Magni 3 is having issues and since I don't know much about electronics, I thought I'd join the forum to ask about it.

I called the store I bought it from and they've organized for me to send it to them so they can look at it, but before I do I thought I should double check and make sure the problem is what I thought it was. I assumed it was just the volume pot that was faulty, but I'm wondering if there's more to it than that.

This is my setup:
All sources > TV > optical out > Modi 3 > RCA > Magni 3

The headphones I use with it are:
- Sennheiser HD 6XX
- Koss KPH30i
- Grado SR80e
- Apple Earpods

It's probably not relevant to mention, but I rarely use the HD 6XXs. Most of the time it's just the Grados and they're only 32 ohms so the volume knob rarely goes past 11 o'clock otherwise it's too loud for me.

The symptoms:
#1 - A few months after I bought it (June 2018), the right channel started getting scratchy when turning the volume knob. Over time the scratchiness has gotten louder. This on it's own wasn't a big deal for me.
#2 - More recently (about 6 months), the scratchiness has started to often persist / echo AFTER adjusting the volume. i.e. I turn the knob, it scratches, and when I let go, the scratching keeps reverberating for some time. Usually 5-10 seconds and then it fades away, but sometimes it keeps going a lot longer. The longest I've observed was about 20 minutes or so. In that case, I'd adjusted volume and then was listening to something loud which I paused 20 minutes later which was when I heard the echo again. It was pretty faint at that point so I didn't notice it until I hit pause, but it was definitely audible.
#3 - Even more recently (the last few weeks), in addition to #1 and #2, the right channel has started to sometimes actually fall out of balance when adjusting volume and I have to jiggle it around to get it back in balance.

To complicate things a bit, there were a couple of occasions over the past year when I had the Magni disconnected temporarily, and I noticed that after reconnecting it again, the symptoms were somewhat diminished at first, but they did ramp up again. For some reason I had forgotten all about that so I didn't mention it when I called the store a few days ago, though I did think of it again right after. So to test, I disconnected it overnight, and when I reconnected it the next day, as before, the symptoms were diminished, but, again, they ramped up by the next day.

Obviously, the scratching would be the volume pot, but could that cause the echoing as well? And would it be affected by having the power cut off? Could this be a combination of scratchy pot plus something going on with a capacitor? Again, I don't know much about electronics, hence this post.

Thanks for reading.

May 23, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi there. I think your best bet would be to get in touch with Schiit to see what they suggest first. I know they service their products so might be worth a shot. info@schiit.com

Best of luck!

May 23, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 9
Common issue with budget volume pots. You can use Dexoit Fader Formula on the volume pot. One of the reasons people pick up something higher in the line like the asgard 3.
1590217313619.png

May 23, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 9
Common issue with budget volume pots. You can use Dexoit Fader Formula on the volume pot. One of the reasons people pick up something higher in the line like the asgard 3.
1590217313619.png

Interesting. I'll keep this in mind as well. I have a Heresy that's a month or two old and I'm starting to get the scratching faintly when adjusting vol.

May 23, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 9
Yep, I bought a used vintage equalizer about 4-years ago, and naturally the frequency sliders were a bit scratchy due to dust being in them. If you remove the case cover so you can gain access to the volume pot, you should see a tiny hole on the back half of the volume pot. Using the straw on a can of Deoxit, spray for 1/2 second, then immediately begin moving the volume pot up and down 20-times. Once done, turn the unit on, then begin using the volume pot, most likely the scratchness is now gone, but if you still hear it a bit scratchy. Then give it another shot of Deoxit in the hole, of course when the unit is turned off. Then repeat the process of turning the volume pot up and down 20-times. Eventually, the Deoxit will dissolve the dust and lubricate the pot. I swear by that stuff, works awesome!

PS: The Magni 3 was an amp that I was considering, but due to far too many negative reviews saying that their unit failed, I chose to go with the S.M.S.L SP200 instead. FYI, if you are not able to fix your amp, that will be my recommendation for your amp replacement. It will cost you more, but it will be well worth it.

May 23, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 9
Since you still have a warranty with the company, it is true you will void it going in there, I didn't really think about that. I guess at this point the best thing is just to take it into the repair shop, and have it fixed under warranty. But in the meantime, order yourself some Deoxit, so you will have it in the future when you do need it, and can use it.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 9
Greetings,

My Magni 3 is having issues and since I don't know much about electronics, I thought I'd join the forum to ask about it.

I called the store I bought it from and they've organized for me to send it to them so they can look at it, but before I do I thought I should double check and make sure the problem is what I thought it was. I assumed it was just the volume pot that was faulty, but I'm wondering if there's more to it than that.

This is my setup:
All sources > TV > optical out > Modi 3 > RCA > Magni 3

The headphones I use with it are:
- Sennheiser HD 6XX
- Koss KPH30i
- Grado SR80e
- Apple Earpods

It's probably not relevant to mention, but I rarely use the HD 6XXs. Most of the time it's just the Grados and they're only 32 ohms so the volume knob rarely goes past 11 o'clock otherwise it's too loud for me.

The symptoms:
#1 - A few months after I bought it (June 2018), the right channel started getting scratchy when turning the volume knob. Over time the scratchiness has gotten louder. This on it's own wasn't a big deal for me.
#2 - More recently (about 6 months), the scratchiness has started to often persist / echo AFTER adjusting the volume. i.e. I turn the knob, it scratches, and when I let go, the scratching keeps reverberating for some time. Usually 5-10 seconds and then it fades away, but sometimes it keeps going a lot longer. The longest I've observed was about 20 minutes or so. In that case, I'd adjusted volume and then was listening to something loud which I paused 20 minutes later which was when I heard the echo again. It was pretty faint at that point so I didn't notice it until I hit pause, but it was definitely audible.
#3 - Even more recently (the last few weeks), in addition to #1 and #2, the right channel has started to sometimes actually fall out of balance when adjusting volume and I have to jiggle it around to get it back in balance.

To complicate things a bit, there were a couple of occasions over the past year when I had the Magni disconnected temporarily, and I noticed that after reconnecting it again, the symptoms were somewhat diminished at first, but they did ramp up again. For some reason I had forgotten all about that so I didn't mention it when I called the store a few days ago, though I did think of it again right after. So to test, I disconnected it overnight, and when I reconnected it the next day, as before, the symptoms were diminished, but, again, they ramped up by the next day.

Obviously, the scratching would be the volume pot, but could that cause the echoing as well? And would it be affected by having the power cut off? Could this be a combination of scratchy pot plus something going on with a capacitor? Again, I don't know much about electronics, hence this post.

Thanks for reading.
Hello.
Did you get a solution to the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back