Schiit Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy - Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #271 of 395
Either one would perform equally as well.

The reason I picked the Hersey over the 3+ is I already have a discrete Magni 3 and want to try the op amp version. Many do not pay attention to the actual chips or op amps used in and amplifier. I do.

The TI OPA1688's are in the SoundWise series of op amps designed especially to be used in headphones amplifiers.

OPA168x SoundPlus 36-V, Single-Supply, 10-MHz, Rail-to-Rail Output Operational Amplifiers datasheet

I Used these op amps in a DIY project several months ago and they are EXCELLENT op amps. World Class performance. These devices also offer wide bandwidth, fast slew rate, and high output current, Schiit took these op amps and utilized them in a neat manner.

Thank the high-quality op-amps used: OPA1662 for gain, OPA1688 for output—eight (8) OPA1688 stages per channel, for low output impedance and very high current capability. With these advanced parts (the OPA1688 even uses feedforward in its topology), we’re getting 6-8dB lower THD+N than Magni 3+, which is already 10-15dB lower THD+N than Magni 3.

I have a set of planars that like current and the Heresey does the job here quite well.

IMO this op amp, amp is not sterile like the THX series of amps have been reported to be like.

Alex

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #272 of 395
Either one would perform equally as well.

The reason I picked the Hersey over the 3+ is I already have a discrete Magni 3 and want to try the op amp version. Many do not pay attention to the actual chips or op amps used in and amplifier. I do.

The TI OPA1688's are in the SoundWise series of op amps designed especially to be used in headphones amplifiers.

OPA168x SoundPlus 36-V, Single-Supply, 10-MHz, Rail-to-Rail Output Operational Amplifiers datasheet

I Used these op amps in a DIY project several months ago and they are EXCELLENT op amps. World Class performance. These devices also offer wide bandwidth, fast slew rate, and high output current, Schiit took these op amps and utilized them in a neat manner.

Thank the high-quality op-amps used: OPA1662 for gain, OPA1688 for output—eight (8) OPA1688 stages per channel, for low output impedance and very high current capability. With these advanced parts (the OPA1688 even uses feedforward in its topology), we’re getting 6-8dB lower THD+N than Magni 3+, which is already 10-15dB lower THD+N than Magni 3.

I have a set of planars that like current and the Heresey does the job here quite well.

IMO this op amp, amp is not sterile like the THX series of amps have been reported to be like.

Alex
Good to know!

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #273 of 395
I received my Heresy yesterday and man is it an impressive little amp. I'm coming from a all-in-one, budget DAC/AMP (FX Audio DAC-X6) and the power output of the Heresy is simply mind blowing. It can drive my HE-400i cans to near ear shattering levels on hi-gain at around 1-2 o'clock with no distortion. I don't dare go any higher for fear of hearing loss! I'm finding that lo-gain at around 3 o'clock is about perfect for my ears. For $100, this amp is a heck of a deal. I don't think that I'll ever need to upgrade. And it looks super sharp stacked on a black Modi 3. I think an Interpose cross connect or Snake Oil Mini-Link is in my future to complete the stack and tidy it up.

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #274 of 395
I received my Heresy yesterday and man is it an impressive little amp. I'm coming from a all-in-one, budget DAC/AMP (FX Audio DAC-X6) and the power output of the Heresy is simply mind blowing. It can drive my HE-400i cans to near ear shattering levels on hi-gain at around 1-2 o'clock with no distortion. I don't dare go any higher for fear of hearing loss! I'm finding that lo-gain at around 3 o'clock is about perfect for my ears. For $100, this amp is a heck of a deal. I don't think that I'll ever need to upgrade. And it looks super sharp stacked on a black Modi 3. I think an Interpose cross connect or Snake Oil Mini-Link is in my future to complete the stack and tidy it up.
it drives planars nicely , i use it with he400i 2020

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #276 of 395
On high gain I can never exceed the 10 o'clock area with the Heresy and my Elear with Clear pads. Usually I'm at the 8 to 9 o'clock area. It really is a great sounding amp though. Sounds much better than the old Magni 2 Uber I was using prior to this.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #277 of 395
i had magni 2 before and on high volume it had some king of glare in the upper mids, Heresy stays composed on high volume, overall without able to compare them side to side it is improvement for sure

Dec 16, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #279 of 395
Having previously owned the Chord Mojo I acquired the Heresy to provide my Sundaras with more power. I am stacking the Heresy with Modi 3+ and this combo is a great listen and definitely more enjoyable than the Mojo at least to my ears. I had a very brief tenure with A3, which I loved with the HD650. But imho I prefer the Sundara/Heresy to the A3/HD650. Wider, deeper, more articulate, tight low end, sparkling top end and a very balanced middle spectrum.
highly recommended!

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #282 of 395
I love my heresy. But I recently acquired a xDuoo xd05 plus. And now... using the dac from the xd05, I’m having a hard time finding a preference between the two. The only real difference is I swapped the opamp in the xd05 to a ne5532p, my favorite, and I think I prefer the sound out of the xd05. I’m driving some he-4xx.

Dec 19, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #283 of 395
Howdy friends, hope this is the right place to ask: I've never owned Schitt gear before, but they seem to hav a decent enough reputation. I'm eyeing the Modi/Magni Heresey combo to use with either HD6XX or Sundara's (settling on a pair, leaning towards HD6XX). My primary uses would be (a) music from USB-C port on Macbook Pro for lossy streaming services (apple music, spotify, etc), (b) from PS5 for gaming and (c) from Apple TV for movies/TV at night. With B/C it seems like I might have to go through the TV's toslink to get things to work, and with A I'm concerned about having a mess of adapters/wires to get things to work. I'm wondering, before I make my purchase, if there's a more graceful DAC/Amp pairing for getting these three sources to work well enough together? I have a hi-fi setup that's in storage temporarily while I rent a room (there's no space for it) so I'm looking for sort of middle/high end of entry level.

I'm also wondering if it might be better to just go with an Audeze Penrose for the gaming/media side of things and narrow headphone setup to just music?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #285 of 395
Howdy friends, hope this is the right place to ask: I've never owned Schitt gear before, but they seem to hav a decent enough reputation. I'm eyeing the Modi/Magni Heresey combo to use with either HD6XX or Sundara's (settling on a pair, leaning towards HD6XX). My primary uses would be (a) music from USB-C port on Macbook Pro for lossy streaming services (apple music, spotify, etc), (b) from PS5 for gaming and (c) from Apple TV for movies/TV at night. With B/C it seems like I might have to go through the TV's toslink to get things to work, and with A I'm concerned about having a mess of adapters/wires to get things to work. I'm wondering, before I make my purchase, if there's a more graceful DAC/Amp pairing for getting these three sources to work well enough together? I have a hi-fi setup that's in storage temporarily while I rent a room (there's no space for it) so I'm looking for sort of middle/high end of entry level.

I'm also wondering if it might be better to just go with an Audeze Penrose for the gaming/media side of things and narrow headphone setup to just music?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.
I can definitely vouch for Sundara with Heresy and Modi. Excellent pairing. I used to have the HD650 powered from the Asgard 3 and I much prefer my current setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back