Schiit Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy - Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #257 of 395
Magni 3 is an underrated amp IMO. I have an original Magni 3 and its really a nice little workhorse...for $99 jolly gee its a steal...I have many Schiit amps here...and recently had the Lyr 1, Lyr 3, , Asgard 1, Asgard 3, Magnius, Vahalla 2 and Jotenheim....all great in their own space.

I ordered a B stock Hersey and it will be here next wed! Looking forward to comparing it to the old OG Magni 3.

Your absolutely correct it is amazing on what $200 - $300 will buy you ......lots of great choices out there and Schitt is right in the mix!!

Alex

s22.jpg
That stack is the SCHIITS! I'd like to know how you like the Hersey when you try it out.

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #259 of 395
Magni 3 is an underrated amp IMO. I have an original Magni 3 and its really a nice little workhorse...for $99 jolly gee its a steal...I have many Schiit amps here...and recently had the Lyr 1, Lyr 3, , Asgard 1, Asgard 3, Magnius, Vahalla 2 and Jotenheim....all great in their own space.

I ordered a B stock Hersey and it will be here next wed! Looking forward to comparing it to the old OG Magni 3.

Your absolutely correct it is amazing on what $200 - $300 will buy you ......lots of great choices out there and Schitt is right in the mix!!

Alex

s22.jpg
How do you like your Magnius? Do you go balanced with it?

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #260 of 395
I had the Magnius here for a week and returned it. Only because I have so many amps and wanted to try the amp out. It wasnt any better for me here with my stuff. But it wasnt any worse also. A great amp if your getting into this hobby.

i have 5 Schiit amps here right now.

I buy and test stuff just to see how good it is etc..

I used both SE and Balanced from a Bifrost 2. So I could listen to both and decide for myself which was better etc.

IMO there is NO real world discernable difference in either except for the power output in each mode as describe in the spec section at the Schiit site.

Some folks have stated the SE is not as good spec-wise that the balanced, while that is true, can YOU really tell the difference when listening to music...for me it was NO.

A $199 box with SE and Balanced and a real Balanced Alps Pot is a real winner all around.

I have all those Schiit amps noted above and all of them do very, very well for me...its just different, slightly different flavors of sound...etc

Alex

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #261 of 395
I had the Magnius here for a week and returned it. Only because I have so many amps and wanted to try the amp out. It wasnt any better for me here with my stuff. But it wasnt any worse also. A great amp if your getting into this hobby.

i have 5 Schiit amps here right now.

I buy and test stuff just to see how good it is etc..

I used both SE and Balanced from a Bifrost 2. So I could listen to both and decide for myself which was better etc.

IMO there is NO real world discernable difference in either except for the power output in each mode as describe in the spec section at the Schiit site.

Some folks have stated the SE is not as good spec-wise that the balanced, while that is true, can YOU really tell the difference when listening to music...for me it was NO.

A $199 box with SE and Balanced and a real Balanced Alps Pot is a real winner all around.

I have all those Schiit amps noted above and all of them do very, very well for me...its just different, slightly different flavors of sound...etc

Alex
I had a Rupert Neve RNHP, bought it because I wanted to try the balanced route. On that particular amp there wasn't much difference between the SE and balanced except volume levels. The Neve is a nice quality amp but I have since parted ways with it.

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #262 of 395
Thats pretty much it with the old SE vs Balanced discussions...for the most part its really a "dont care".....tbh.

It adds to cable and adapter cost.

Some folks start out with SE and wonder about the mystical balanced connection and their more costly cable and adapters...If u start out with SE and get an amp with balanced then you have to purchase, build etc to get the another cable. Then only to realize there really isnt any difference at all.

Such a fun hobby!

Alex

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #263 of 395
I don't have either one, but a lot of the reviewers say that they don't really hear a difference and if there is, it's not substantial. I would guess you can't go wrong with either one and in the end, it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

BTW, here's a question, how much power does each of them put out into a 300ohm headphone?

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #265 of 395
The Heresy is here!

Plugged into and being fed by a Schiit Bifrost 2.

B-stock...looks brand new here...everything works just fine.

Using it to drive a pair of Meze Emperyeans.

What an excellent $99 high performance amp.

Crystal clear, stunning sound....no noise, distortion, more than enough power to drive most anything. It was this B-stock for $89 vs B-stock Magni3 + for $69. I am glad I got this smart little black/red box version. A year ago I built a DIY amp using the OPA 1688's and its interesting to see what Schiit has done with them in the Heresy.

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2.8W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2.4W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.6W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 410mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 215mW RMS per channel

LIstening to some of the Schiit videos I thing Jason mentioned this Magni has more power than the OG Magni 3 which I have here also. I think he said it might even top out closer to 3 watts!

Imagine this! Thank the high-quality op-amps used: OPA1662 for gain, OPA1688 for output—eight (8) OPA1688 stages per channel, for low output impedance and very high current capability.

High current is what many planars really like...So i am sitting here with a $89 amp driving a $3K pair of TOTL headphones, with no issues at all..

How does it sound? It doesnt...its neutral, flat what u put into it comes out amplified!

Isnt that what an amp is supposed to do??

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Alex

ee.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #267 of 395
The Heresy is here!

Plugged into and being fed by a Schiit Bifrost 2.

B-stock...looks brand new here...everything works just fine.

Using it to drive a pair of Meze Emperyeans.

What an excellent $99 high performance amp.

Crystal clear, stunning sound....no noise, distortion, more than enough power to drive most anything. It was this B-stock for $89 vs B-stock Magni3 + for $69. I am glad I got this smart little black/red box version. A year ago I built a DIY amp using the OPA 1688's and its interesting to see what Schiit has done with them in the Heresy.

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2.8W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2.4W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.6W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 410mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 215mW RMS per channel

LIstening to some of the Schiit videos I thing Jason mentioned this Magni has more power than the OG Magni 3 which I have here also. I think he said it might even top out closer to 3 watts!

Imagine this! Thank the high-quality op-amps used: OPA1662 for gain, OPA1688 for output—eight (8) OPA1688 stages per channel, for low output impedance and very high current capability.

High current is what many planars really like...So i am sitting here with a $89 amp driving a $3K pair of TOTL headphones, with no issues at all..

How does it sound? It doesnt...its neutral, flat what u put into it comes out amplified!

Isnt that what an amp is supposed to do??

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Alex

Great! Is there a discernable difference between the Magni 3+ and your new amp?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back