Schiit Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy - Impressions Thread
May 4, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #196 of 395
This is interesting. I’m looking into getting a 3+ or Heresy and it seems like the Heresy is the better performer by a hair, and maybe not as bright. Although I could just keep my Magni 3.

Is there any reason to get a Heresy if I already have a Magni 3?

TBH, I got the 3+ just to have the latest version of the amp. The Magni 3 is perfectly adequate if you don't suffer from upgradeitis.

May 4, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #197 of 395
I'll add to the confusion a bit, having both the Heresy and Vali 2, as well as the Modi 2U and Modi 3. After mixing and matching using a SYS as a switching device... I found the most pleasing to be the Heresy with the Modi 2U. I used that on my night table along with the Etr for bit before grabbing an Asgard 2 on closeout. I found the Heresy/Modi2u to be just as warm as the Vali 2/Modi3 with the speed and attack you would expect from solid state. For whatever reasons I felt the Hersey paired better with the older Modi 2U than the newer Modi 3, there was a bite (on the Modi 3) I didn't like that the tubed Vali 2 seams to correct.

stack2.jpg

Stack1.jpg

May 5, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #198 of 395
Just got my Heresy which has an old JDS Labs ODAC feeding it. It seems to sound very good with my Focal Elear with Utopia pads on it. Its early, but it seems to be at least a few % better than the old Magni 2U I've been using. I especially like how the gain stages are on the Heresy better than the old M2U. High gain at about the 8-9 o'clock area seems to be the right spot for me with my Elear. High gain on the M2U sounded better than low gain on the M2U, but with the Elear the volume control was a bit touchy and sometimes there would be channel imbalance. Low gain on the Heresy seems like it would actually be low enough for an IEM.

Will report more later when I can listen some more.

May 7, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #199 of 395
So my Elear with Utopia pads sounds great with the Magni Heresy. Everything about it seems to be kicked up a notch compared to the old Magni 2 Uber I was using.

One of the best differences is that this combination sounds great at any volume. With the Magni 2 Uber the Elear sounded better at louder volumes, and I kept finding myself listening louder than I usually do. I've heard people say that there is a sweet spot on the volume dial to make the Elear sound it's best, and that still may be, but with the Heresy they sound great and dynamic at lower volumes than with the Magni 2 Uber.

I could go on and on about this Heresy and Elear combo, but to summarize, this amp sounds better than the Magni 2 Uber in every way. Bigger soundstage, better detail, better dynamics, but another noticeable improvement is better sub-bass. I keep hitting pause to make sure I'm hearing something in the music, and not a helicopter flying over or something of that sort that's rumbling. I didn't really think the sub-bass was lacking before, but now it definitely isn't.

One last thing I'll mention is the better volume control and a better high vs low gain. The Magni 2 Uber sounded better to me on high gain, but that left me with very little movement on the volume dial and would run into channel imbalance. The Heresy has a lower output on low gain in comparison(probably best for IEM's), so I've been using high gain but somehow there is a lot better control of the volume output here and no channel imbalance.

So a definitely worthy upgrade for only $125 shipped.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #200 of 395
Does anybody know if there is a different power supply I can use for my heresy? The one it comes with is so big and ungainly. I transport it between my house and my semi truck, I’m hoping I can find a smaller power supply to make it easier to transport. Tia.

May 10, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #201 of 395
Does anybody know if there is a different power supply I can use for my heresy? The one it comes with is so big and ungainly. I transport it between my house and my semi truck, I’m hoping I can find a smaller power supply to make it easier to transport. Tia.
I don't think so. At least at a reasonable price since Schiit chose to use an AC adapter (and not a normal DC power supply).

May 15, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #203 of 395
This might be a dumb thing to ask in a thread for $100 amps (albeit great ones) but I’m kind of stuck in a situation and not sure which direction to take.

I was originally gonna just get a Magni 3+ or Heresy with a Modi but I figured the more logical upgrade from the Magni 3 would be the THX 789, especially now since it’s $300, so I ordered it. But I started getting cold and wondering if it was really worth the extra coin. So I’m considering returning it and getting these instead.

The most demanding headphones I plan on using are the HD6XX and Sundara, which should be no problem for the Magnis, and the Magnis are actually more powerful in SE than the THX.

Thing is, I don’t know if I would be able to tell the difference between amps. And I don’t want to sit around and strain myself to hear them, that’s just too stressful. The 789 is probably the last amp I’d ever need, but I don’t know if it’s really necessary if the Heresy is just as good. But then, I may be left wondering if I’m missing anything from the 789. Also, I would need to wait until I score a Grace SDAC Balanced.

Some people say there’s no difference and it would be a waste of money unless I need the extra features (which I don’t, although I do love the aesthetic of the THX), some say there’s small differences. Others say there’s huge difference.

I know “listen for yourself” and yadda yadda but does anyone have any advice? All I really want is clean power to drive my headphones. Only recently I learned that some people perceive large differences between two amps that measure nearly identical.

May 15, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #205 of 395
I just looked at the THX and I guess the question is if you want balanced or not.
Yeah. That is it’s biggest feature. Some say the amp is overkill if you’re just using SE. But who knows if I need balanced in the future? I probably won’t. I don’t think there are many headphones where it’s necessary.

Honestly, I do love the design of the THX. Probably the biggest draw to me. I doubt I would be able to tell differences in sound. I feel people make out the differences to be bigger than they are. Maybe if the headphones are highly demanding but idk.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #206 of 395
About 6 months ago I thought about getting balanced gear. I read and researched a bit. And in the end I decided it wasn't worth it since I'd have to change over a lot of gear and the sonic / power returns weren't there for me. My Schiit gear sounds great through all my headphones and any further percent gains would not provide any more happiness / enjoyment. I think of a TV I was going to buy that was, let's say, 20% better than my current TV. It was not providing anywhere near 20% more happiness :)

May 15, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #207 of 395
About 6 months ago I thought about getting balanced gear. I read and researched a bit. And in the end I decided it wasn't worth it since I'd have to change over a lot of gear and the sonic / power returns weren't there for me. My Schiit gear sounds great through all my headphones and any further percent gains would not provide any more happiness / enjoyment. I think of a TV I was going to buy that was, let's say, 20% better than my current TV. It was not providing anywhere near 20% more happiness :)
Good point thank you. Even if the THX were better it’s so negligible to the point where the extra cost probably won’t matter. After all, it’s about the headphones in the end :)

May 15, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #209 of 395

The problem with upgrading to new gear is that whatever sound quality level you achieve becomes the new normal and then becomes "meh". Why not just be happy with what you got, if it has an acceptable level of quality. Why keep chasing the dragon?

May 15, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #210 of 395
The problem with upgrading to new gear is that whatever sound quality level you achieve becomes the new normal and then becomes "meh". Why not just be happy with what you got, if it has an acceptable level of quality. Why keep chasing the dragon?

Excellent points! I agree... Well maybe doing a bit better than 'acceptable'... but soon after it's just not worth the tiny gains...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back