Schiit Magni 2 power adapter
Feb 15, 2017 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

0pethian

Head-Fier
I'm in Asia, we have 220v power outlets but I purchased from Amazon n it came with 110v adapter which I realized when it didn't work. Do u think I have burnt my Magni? I accidentally plugged the supplied 110v adapter into 220v n plugged it into Magni.

Sent from OnePlus 3T

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 20
The only way to check if it's burnt is to open up the casing and take a look at the internals or plug it in again with a converter or a transformer and hope for the best. If there's a blown fuse, you might be able to fix the amp by replacing that. If there's no fuse, check and see if there are any blown capacitors or resistors. Unfortunately, I have never seen the inside of a Magni 2, so I can't help you as accurately as possible.

If power is supplied to the amp in just a very short amount of time, i.e. 1-3 seconds, and then terminated, it might be fine.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 20
I can't spot any thing, I didn't check inside before plugging in ... So can't tell if there is any visible change
Why don't they make a variable input transformer :frowning2:

5552c7d063398e19b4537294404982df.jpg

Sent from OnePlus 3T

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 20
It 'looks' fine to me. I guess trying it with an adapter is your best bet.

Schiit sells their products with different choices of AC Adapters, 110V and 230V, on their website. It is not the best option, but they do give it.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 20
Why don't they make a variable input transformer
frown.gif

Because that's not as easy as it looks. There are downsides to designing it depending on what it will be used for. Mainstream devices and some other amps don't have any sensitive discrete components for example that might pick up electronic noise or have other issues with just about any PSU.

Also the Magni doesn't use a regular power brick, which converts wall AC power to DC, but basically just lowers the voltage from 240/120 down to whatever the voltage the internal circuit requires.

In simple terms, Schiit came up with something cheap without sacrificing performance, but something had to give somewhere. Not that their PSU is cheap, it's just that they went around the higher cost of a quality AC to DC PSU by just using AC to AC.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 20
Yes the transformer/adapter is actually Chinese that came with mine :grinning:
So not entirely made in USA
666f281c8b81ed8e05622df0caa8fcc3.jpg

A closer look at PCB ... I think it had no affect or any visible affect from high voltage

3da8472eb4a54fda7bf837bbcc17914a.jpg

b5f0f39f5b199ac995e3fe4487961dab.jpg

Sent from OnePlus 3T

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 20
Yes the transformer/adapter is actually Chinese that came with mine :grinning:
So not entirely made in USA

Schiit never claimed the power brick is, only the amp. Even the PSU on the bigger amps might even be from elsewhere, but they assemble everything in California (PCBs are also manufactured nearby).

What I said was that it wasn't necessarily cheap as to suck, but to keep prices down, they went with that one and that it's also AC-AC, not AC-DC.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 20
Well we can discuss pros n cons for ages ... But it's not solving my issue here ...
I have to get a 220v input adapter, with 16v AC out, that's a real pain in @$$ finding such a thing with 500mA out put ...
If I have to ask someone to custom make it for me, are these the only requirements I have to tell him?

Sent from OnePlus 3T

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 20
A step down transformer should be sufficient, and easier to obtain but I am not sure if it's cheaper. Some transformers can be pretty expensive.

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 20
Only 12v AC with 1amp transformer are available here ... And I don't think it's safe to use those ... 1amp is twice the current Magni needs ... Capacitors might burn

Sent from OnePlus 3T

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Well we can discuss pros n cons for ages ... But it's not solving my issue here ...

Well I'm pointing out one caveat as to solving your issue here: make sure what you get outputs AC at the right amperage.

Quote:

I have to get a 220v input adapter, with 16v AC out, that's a real pain in @$$ finding such a thing with 500mA out put ...

Exactly why, prior to Schiit getting the 240v version from wherever they got it from, people had been using step down transformers. Did you test what you have with one? You know, in case it wasn't damaged by that brief exposure to 240v.

And in case you did and it is busted, did you try to contact Schiit? You can save a lot of trouble just buying one from them.

Quote:

Only 12v AC with 1amp transformer are available here ... And I don't think it's safe to use those ... 1amp is twice the current Magni needs ... Capacitors might burn

This is the kind of transformer everyone was talking about, not a 12v output power brick.

You plug that into a 220v/240v outlet wherever you are. Then you plug in the Magni's 120v power brick into the 110v/120v outlet on the transformer. It doesn't matter if the output is higher, it will not "burn capacitors" because all it's doing is reducing the voltage and to what the Magni's brick can take and then the Magni's brick is still what brings it down and outputs 16v 500mA for the Magni.

Quote:

If I have to ask someone to custom make it for me, are these the only requirements I have to tell him?

For the most part, yes. I don't think Schiit put some kind of exotic bits in the circuit there apart from the plain step down function and that kind of current delivery.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #14 of 20
My schiit 120v is busted ... It got busted even in those brief moments It was plugged in
Now it's really difficult to find something here ...
All I wanna ask ... This 12v AC with 1amp out put ... Should I try it?

Sent from OnePlus 3T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back